Indo - RTE bashed over GAA coverage

Started by dublinfella, December 07, 2010, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

What do you reckon? A legitimate gripe over soccer and rugby overtaking gaelic games in RTE's listings or inane nonsense from Costello considering it was the GAA requested that RTE show less live games and sold the League rights elsewhere?

The floor is open.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...e-2450456.html

RTE bashed over GAA coverage

Tuesday December 07 2010

RTE is in for a December bashing at GAA county conventions arising from the reduction in the number of games to be screened next year.

The national station will show 31 championship games live in 2011, with TV3 screening a further nine.

That's an overall drop of 10 in a move brought about by the GAA, who felt that the amount of live coverage in recent years had a negative impact on attendances at some games and on club fixtures.

While there's general acceptance that the championships are well covered by TV, complaints have arisen over RTE's approach to Gaelic games other than in the summer-autumn period.

Dublin CEO John Costello is the latest to attack RTE, claiming that hurling and football are "slipping down the decision-makers' list of priorities when it comes to scheduling".

Costello claims that, by 2013, RTE will show more live League of Ireland soccer action than Gaelic games.

"RTE screened 18 domestic soccer games this year, a figure that is set to increase to 33 by 2013. Likewise, rugby will eclipse Gaelic games in terms of live coverage, with our national broadcaster contracted to show Six Nations, autumn Tests as well as All-Ireland and Magners League," writes Costello in his annual report.

"The attitude towards Gaelic games in Montrose seems to be that our national games are only played during the months of June, July, August and September."

Costello is particularly critical of RTE's failure to carry a preview-style programme throughout the season.

He accepts that it was a Croke Park decision to cut back on live championship coverage, but argues that RTE is not giving Gaelic games due attention for the rest of the year.

"I am aware of recent comments by the Ard Stiurthoir (Paraic Duffy) that the GAA were overdoing the live coverage. However, it's my contention that GAA supporters are not getting a fair deal from the national broadcaster."

RTE's live GAA coverage is confined to the championships, which they share (on a majority basis) with TV3. TG4 and Setanta share National League coverage, while TG4 also have the club championships and the International Rules series.

- Martin Breheny

Irish Independent

Donkeywalloper

GAA hoored itself, to get as much revenue through TV as possible.

It should be no concern of theirs what RTE decide to broadcast outside of that arrangement.
If nothing else it will keep costello's profile up.  Must be elections coming up.

lynchbhoy

I'd not say its inane, but it is his opinion and I certainly wouldnt agree with him.
He is speculating a bit imo.
The GAA decided upon having less games broadcasted. so this is part of it.
I'd not complain about the magners league or rugby matches or even the amount of league of Ireland soccer matches on the telly. Sport on telly (even if some games are of poor quality) is better than some of the dross that tv stations broadcast!
I'd like to see more GAA NFL games televised, but accept that it may affect attendances so understand why the GAA prefer to not floot the TV screens with live coverage!

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 07, 2010, 01:56:05 PM
I'd not say its inane, but it is his opinion and I certainly wouldnt agree with him.
!

What exactly is his opinion here though?

That RTE should have filled the blank hours with static fuzz after the GAA reigned in the coverage? That they should broadcast League and Club games they don't have the rights to? Or is it a general lashing out at soccer?

It seems a fairly strange subject for the DCB president to address in the annual report (this wasn't an off the cuff comment to the media), so I would assume there is a lot more of this than meets the eye.

AZOffaly

Going by his June July and August comment, I'd say it's obvious he's on about the league, club and U21 etc.

What exactly he wants them to do given the fact that they've lost the rights is anybody's guess. Perhaps he wants them to up their bid next time around.

thejuice

Or maybe this is the best shite he could come up with to fill column inches much like most of his colleagues in the indo. Perhaps the GAA should insist that journalists take a few months off too as well as the players. Give us all a much needed rest.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on December 07, 2010, 02:15:40 PM
What exactly is his opinion here though?

That RTE should have filled the blank hours with static fuzz after the GAA reigned in the coverage? That they should broadcast League and Club games they don't have the rights to? Or is it a general lashing out at soccer?

It seems a fairly strange subject for the DCB president to address in the annual report (this wasn't an off the cuff comment to the media), so I would assume there is a lot more of this than meets the eye.
jeez man, did you not read your own post ..
his opinion is fairly obv..
"The attitude towards Gaelic games in Montrose seems to be that our national games are only played during the months of June, July, August and September."

Costello is particularly critical of RTE's failure to carry a preview-style programme throughout the season.

He accepts that it was a Croke Park decision to cut back on live championship coverage, but argues that RTE is not giving Gaelic games due attention for the rest of the year."

i.e. show Gaelic games ouside of the summer championship months and have some kind of weekly GAA programme.

imo TG4 show intercounty games in the off-season times he is pointing out , but maybe games and a show thats not as gaelige is what he is after.

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 07, 2010, 04:01:52 PM

He accepts that it was a Croke Park decision to cut back on live championship coverage, but argues that RTE is not giving Gaelic games due attention for the rest of the year."

i.e. show Gaelic games ouside of the summer championship months and have some kind of weekly GAA programme.

imo TG4 show intercounty games in the off-season times he is pointing out , but maybe games and a show thats not as gaelige is what he is after.

But RTE don't have the rights to do so, so whats his point? These games are on television already

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on December 07, 2010, 04:24:59 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 07, 2010, 04:01:52 PM

But RTE don't have the rights to do so, so whats his point? These games are on television already
do TG4 have broadcast rights?
I didnt think anyone had or needed tv rights to broadcast nfl or mckenna/obyrne cup etc games.
isnt it only the championship thats gets exclusive live game rights?

you also dont need exclusive rights to put on a weekly GAA show..

I'm not arguing his case,but I dont see where you are coming from on this...
last thing I want to do is back costello !!!

dublinfella

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 07, 2010, 04:33:21 PM

do TG4 have broadcast rights?
I didnt think anyone had or needed tv rights to broadcast nfl or mckenna/obyrne cup etc games.
isnt it only the championship thats gets exclusive live game rights?

you also dont need exclusive rights to put on a weekly GAA show..

I'm not arguing his case,but I dont see where you are coming from on this...
last thing I want to do is back costello !!!

TG4 and Setanta have NFL and NHL rights.

TG4 have club rights and International Rules

RTE and TV3 have Championship.

Rte cannot show the League, club games or international rules, or do a highlight show of them without money changing hands.

He should know this.

Donnellys Hollow

RTÉ have had league highlights for the past few years but they only give us a rehash of the games already shown on TG4 and Setanta.

TG4's coverage is far superior anyway and at least they try to put on a decent highlights package on a Monday night all year round despite their limited resources.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Zulu

He has a fair point, RTE's coverage is substandard given the viewing figures and widespread interest in the games. Christ even the diabolical 125th anniversary Late Late show was one of the highest viewed Late Late's of the year. How there isn't a mid week preview show during the league and championship is beyond me. And why haven't RTE paid enough to get the league games, or at least put more effort into their league highlights package?

Rossfan

Why didnt ye all agree with Soccerfella that " this was a bigotted attack on his beloved soccer by an anti Soccer GAA bigot".?  ::)
Certainly RTE/TV3 could do with providing a mid week magazine type programme and have less waffle and more action o the Sunday night .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

On the one hand you have the eircom League and many of its fans demanding more live coverage and getting it. Then the GAA tell RTE to row back, RTE complying and you have gaels agreeing with it. And people wonder then why the GAA is losing out to soccer and rugby.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

An Gaeilgoir

Breheny Shiteing on a few weeks ago about TG4 showing the Aussie rules in Irish not enough people understanding the language blah, blah. So what is the Indo's stance, i think its just populist nonsence to the fill pages of a broadsheet tabloid rag.