0 (0%)
Conor Cruise O Brien
1 (1.3%)
Jackie Healy Ray
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on December 06, 2010, 12:11:24 PM
Peter and Banana Man are giving me a quare laugh this morning.

Who, Peter Soldout the Grate? ;)

I reckon that given his reluctance to put that fascist, alcoholic and homosexual founder of Fine Gael up on his list he's actually the b**tard son of O'Duffy! :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Banana Man on December 06, 2010, 12:25:38 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 06, 2010, 12:12:22 PM
I suggest you actually read the Treaty debates: http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/en.toc.D.T.html

Everyone with half a brain knew before the Treaty negotiations even began that a republic was never going to be on the table and that some form of partition was inevitable. The establishment of the Boundary Commission under the terms of the Treaty lead most to believe that the transfer of land from the Northern Irish state to the Free State would eventually leave NI as too small an entity to remain on its own. If Collins had been alive in 1925 when the Boundary Commission commenced it's safe to say it wouldn't have turned into the farce that it was with MacNeil getting the run around and the report eventually never getting published.

The Civil War was fought mainly over the issue of 'dominion status' as represented by the oath of allegiance (which ironically De Valera managed to remove from the constitution when he came to power in the 1930s).

To be honest Donnelly I don't even know what you are trying to say. You start of by firing a broadside at me telling me to actually read the treaty debates, as if I had referred to them at some point when I haven't. Then as you continue to talk you back up what I say in that the treaty divided the island and left us in the north on our own. So are you disagreeing or agreeing, do you even know?

You stated that Collins "led the Irish Army against those that opposed the treaty and faced them down because they dared not to let northern nationalists die in a pogrom state."

That is simply not true as the majority of those who fought on the anti-Treaty side in the Civil War were opposed to the oath rather than partition. Partition was not the issue (because of the Boundary Commission's establishment) which you would realise if you actually read the Treaty debates.

To say that Collins "signed away the North" is nonsense. How can the man be blamed for the failure of the Boundary Commission when he was dead long before 1925?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on December 06, 2010, 12:28:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 06, 2010, 12:13:42 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on December 06, 2010, 11:56:32 AM
Must be great living out in Mayo where the only time you seen orangemen was when they came to help Capt. Boycott. Fact of the matter is he left us to rot in the north and if it was available for your poll he would get my vote every time.

He doesn't speak for us. In fact he doesn't even seem to speak for FG either. I'd say he is a Michael Ring man.

Imagine two Castlebar men up on the list of Irelands worst. There could be a good few more names on that list. At the races of Castlebar, the natives hid in their houses while the men of  Aughagower, Kilalla and the rest of Mayo fought for Irelands freedom along with the French. Do you know why you got the name fisheads?

Good grief. Have you even left primary school yet?

Grow up you fool.
MWWSI 2017

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: muppet on December 06, 2010, 12:42:51 PM
Must be great living out in Mayo where the only time you seen orangemen was when they came to help Capt. Boycott. Fact of the matter is he left us to rot in the north and if it was available for your poll he would get my vote every time.

He doesn't speak for us. In fact he doesn't even seem to speak for FG either. I'd say he is a Michael Ring man.

Imagine two Castlebar men up on the list of Irelands worst. There could be a good few more names on that list. At the races of Castlebar, the natives hid in their houses while the men of  Aughagower, Kilalla and the rest of Mayo fought for Irelands freedom along with the French. Do you know why you got the name fisheads?

Grow up you fool.

This looks like a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

Banana Man

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 06, 2010, 12:35:51 PM
I suggest you actually read the Treaty debates: http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/en.toc.D.T.html

Everyone with half a brain knew before the Treaty negotiations even began that a republic was never going to be on the table and that some form of partition was inevitable. The establishment of the Boundary Commission under the terms of the Treaty lead most to believe that the transfer of land from the Northern Irish state to the Free State would eventually leave NI as too small an entity to remain on its own. If Collins had been alive in 1925 when the Boundary Commission commenced it's safe to say it wouldn't have turned into the farce that it was with MacNeil getting the run around and the report eventually never getting published.

The Civil War was fought mainly over the issue of 'dominion status' as represented by the oath of allegiance (which ironically De Valera managed to remove from the constitution when he came to power in the 1930s).

To be honest Donnelly I don't even know what you are trying to say. You start of by firing a broadside at me telling me to actually read the treaty debates, as if I had referred to them at some point when I haven't. Then as you continue to talk you back up what I say in that the treaty divided the island and left us in the north on our own. So are you disagreeing or agreeing, do you even know?

You stated that Collins "led the Irish Army against those that opposed the treaty and faced them down because they dared not to let northern nationalists die in a pogrom state."

That is simply not true as the majority of those who fought on the anti-Treaty side in the Civil War were opposed to the oath rather than partition. Partition was not the issue (because of the Boundary Commission's establishment) which you would realise if you actually read the Treaty debates.

To say that Collins "signed away the North" is nonsense. How can the man be blamed for the failure of the Boundary Commission when he was dead long before 1925?

Don't agree with you on this. You want me to read the treaty debates and take that as a fair representation of the majority of those who fought in the civil war.

You are holding up this Boundary Commission as if it would have been the saviour for everyone, it was a cop out. You think Collins could have negotiated taking more land from the Unionists and British Govt, I would love to know why you are putting so much faith in a fella who's track record (i.e. the original treaty) was at best poor.

When the south realised it might actually result in losing more land they pulled out. The boundary commission was never going to amount to anything and to use this to deflect from him signing is over is absolute nonsense.

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on December 06, 2010, 12:48:11 PM

Grow up you fool.

It would to you. You insult anyone here who doesn't see things your way, then take deep offense when it comes back your way. This might be hard for you but Michael Ring is not that popular nationally.

You have run away before only to come as annoying as before. You lecture everyone on your view on history without providing any links or references to back up your nonsense.

Many posters would get the benefit of the doubt from most here, but not you. Back up your claims with links or don't bother.
MWWSI 2017

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: muppet on December 06, 2010, 12:55:44 PM

Grow up you fool.

It would to you. You insult anyone here who doesn't see things your way, then take deep offense when it comes back your way. This might be hard for you but Michael Ring is not that popular nationally.

You have run away before only to come as annoying as before. You lecture everyone on your view on history without providing any links or references to back up your nonsense.

Many posters would get the benefit of the doubt from most here, but not you. Back up your claims with links or don't bother.

I suppose Inda kinny is or Beverley Cooper Flynn or Charlie haughey or any other disaster that ever came from Castlebar. Here is my link to back up Inda Kinny is from castlebar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enda_Kenny

Am I writing a thesis that I have to reference everything.

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on December 06, 2010, 01:02:38 PM

Grow up you fool.

I suppose Inda kinny is or Beverley Cooper Flynn or Charlie haughey or any other disaster that ever came from Castlebar. Here is my link to back up Inda Kinny is from castlebar.

You don't reference anything.

Try this for your knowledge of history. This thread has already been done, last year.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=14796.0
MWWSI 2017

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: muppet on December 06, 2010, 01:06:48 PM

Grow up you fool.

Try this for your knowledge of history. This thread has already been done, last year.

Then let the thread die. Or are you pathetic enough so as you will have the final word?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Banana Man on December 06, 2010, 12:53:35 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 06, 2010, 12:35:51 PM

Don't agree with you on this. You want me to read the treaty debates and take that as a fair representation of the majority of those who fought in the civil war.

You are holding up this Boundary Commission as if it would have been the saviour for everyone, it was a cop out. You think Collins could have negotiated taking more land from the Unionists and British Govt, I would love to know why you are putting so much faith in a fella who's track record (i.e. the original treaty) was at best poor.

When the south realised it might actually result in losing more land they pulled out. The boundary commission was never going to amount to anything and to use this to deflect from him signing is over is absolute nonsense.

We'll agree to disagree then.

I would maintain that Collins would feature prominently on this list had the Treaty not been signed. Do you think the threat of 'terrible and immediate war' from Lloyd George was a bluff? The British had lost nearly a million men in the preceeding decade - do you think they would have given a second thought about wiping out the Irish?

I'll ask one final question. If partition was such a big issue for those on the anti-Treaty side at the time then why was most of the fighting in the Civil War concentrated in Kerry, West Cork and Limerick - three counties that are not exactly close to the six disputed counties in the north?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Orior

The vote just looks like a bandwagon to bash Bertie, and thats down to the current economic climate.

Worst person in my book is Conor Cruise O'Brien.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on December 06, 2010, 01:09:37 PM

Grow up you fool.

Then let the thread die. Or are you pathetic enough so as you will have the final word?

::) ::)

Here, I'll try to get into the spirit of your posts. 

Try this, if you post again you are a big girl's blouse.
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: Orior on December 06, 2010, 01:23:06 PM
The vote just looks like a bandwagon to bash Bertie, and thats down to the current economic climate.

You're probably right, those of us who blame him for the depression are probably giving him far too much credit.  I truly don't think he had any idea about what was going on, he left it to his advisers and senior civil servants to handle.  As long as he was in a position to hand out a few quid to someone and win another vote or two he was delighted.
He may have been a liar, a tax-evader and a perjurer, but I'd say there's many's an irishman guilty of the above 3 crimes.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: muppet on December 06, 2010, 01:26:00 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on December 06, 2010, 01:09:37 PM

Grow up you fool.

::) ::)

Here, I'll try to get into the spirit of your posts. 

Try this, if you post again you are a big girl's blouse.