Home Heating

Started by nrico2006, December 03, 2010, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

I'm checking the valve now and the pipe either side of it is roasting. The valve itself seems like it's a compression type one with a screw cap to open it to max. Is this the right valve I'm looking at?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BenDover on February 06, 2013, 07:31:39 PM
I'm checking the valve now and the pipe either side of it is roasting. The valve itself seems like it's a compression type one with a screw cap to open it to max. Is this the right valve I'm looking at?
If it is motorised should it not have a cable coming out of it. Mine is a blue Hostmann job with an orange LED on it.

BenDover

Aye found the motorised one there took the cap of it but not much happening.  I've read elsewhere ye can screw it up into n open position but the only thing I can see is housed in red plastic wit temp settings on the top

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BenDover on February 06, 2013, 08:06:45 PM
Aye found the motorised one there took the cap of it but not much happening.  I've read elsewhere ye can screw it up into n open position but the only thing I can see is housed in red plastic wit temp settings on the top
When mine bust last year I was able to screw it open and manually push the metal lever in the inside into the on position.

laoislad

Quote from: illdecide on February 06, 2013, 02:28:52 PM
Quote from: BenDover on February 06, 2013, 08:49:26 AM
I recently had to change the oil time to a Grasslin MIL72A but since I've had the new timer fitted, we've been getting no hot water from the oil burning. I've checked the pipes running to the tank and there is one pipe that feels hot to touch but the rest of the pipes have no warm water running through them. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

The motorised valve for the hot water sounds like its fecked...prob just a coincidence from new timer clock (although check the hot water settings on new timer)
Might not be fecked.
Was the motorised valve working before you changed the time clock?
Could be as simple as the timeclock is wired wrong.

Also on the motorised valve there should be a lever to change it to manual which will leave it open all the time.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Also meant to add that motorised valves are usually controlled by a pipe stat that opens the valve at a certain temperature. The pipe stat is probably controlled from a switch wire from the time clock so it could also be that the pipe stat is fecked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on February 06, 2013, 08:46:13 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 06, 2013, 02:28:52 PM
Quote from: BenDover on February 06, 2013, 08:49:26 AM
I recently had to change the oil time to a Grasslin MIL72A but since I've had the new timer fitted, we've been getting no hot water from the oil burning. I've checked the pipes running to the tank and there is one pipe that feels hot to touch but the rest of the pipes have no warm water running through them. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

The motorised valve for the hot water sounds like its fecked...prob just a coincidence from new timer clock (although check the hot water settings on new timer)
Might not be fecked.
Was the motorised valve working before you changed the time clock?
Could be as simple as the timeclock is wired wrong.

Also on the motorised valve there should be a lever to change it to manual which will leave it open all the time.
Most likely to be the timer than the valve if suddenly stopped working when new clock fitted. Did you fit it?

laoislad

If I fitted it, it would be working.

BenDover

Yea it was working fine before the new timer was fitted.  The Bro in law who fitted it didn't follow the wiring diagram as the oil was only coming on when set to constantly on. I think it's d way is been wired but no frig all about it. The metal pin is attached to the Red red housing so if I open up ths red housing I should b able to screw ths pin into the on position?

laoislad

Quote from: BenDover on February 06, 2013, 09:29:54 PM
Yea it was working fine before the new timer was fitted.  The Bro in law who fitted it didn't follow the wiring diagram as the oil was only coming on when set to constantly on. I think it's d way is been wired but no frig all about it. The metal pin is attached to the Red red housing so if I open up ths red housing I should b able to screw ths pin into the on position?

Yeah I'd say its wired wrong.
Are you sure you are looking at the motorised valve?
Maybe they are different up north but I don't recall ever seeing a domestic motorised valve with temperature settings on it. You sure it's not the pipe stat you are looking at?
As I said maybe its different up north and you can buy an all in one pipe stat/ motorised valve.

tyssam5

Quote from: heganboy on December 03, 2012, 07:28:55 PM
has anyone used the nest for home heating (nest.com)

Got the nest, like it a lot!

BenDover

God knows what I was looking at, I'll have to get a qualified person to have a nosey see if can be resolved easily enough, having to use the immersion is rough on the electric

offtheground

Quote from: tyssam5 on February 07, 2013, 09:08:15 AM
Quote from: heganboy on December 03, 2012, 07:28:55 PM
has anyone used the nest for home heating (nest.com)

Got the nest, like it a lot!

I'd taken a look at it a few months back , and was under the impression that it was only available in the US. Are you in the states?

illdecide

Quote from: laoislad on February 06, 2013, 09:34:24 PM
Quote from: BenDover on February 06, 2013, 09:29:54 PM

Yeah I'd say its wired wrong.
Are you sure you are looking at the motorised valve?
Maybe they are different up north but I don't recall ever seeing a domestic motorised valve with temperature settings on it. You sure it's not the pipe stat you are looking at?
As I said maybe its different up north and you can buy an all in one pipe stat/ motorised valve.

No, the motorised valves don't have stats here either. Just the lever to switch to manual/Auto like you mexicans. Actually wired one last night and i always thought they had all the same colour of wires but not the Honeywell one, the grey is straightforward as they are always live and the earth is the earth but blue, orange and brown def varied in colour and was tricky to know which was which...lol.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Bendover, Laoislad knows what he's talking about when it comes to wiring so i would def take his word on it...for a small fee he'd shoot up and sort it for u... ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch