Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 7386389 times)

JoG2

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #58365 on: September 13, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
Boys, needy draw a line under this washing the aul dirty laundry in public. Nobody wins an online argument and we're descending into the gutter badly.

Many men get tickets? Got a couple sorted, hopefully see the minors throw the kitchen sink at Kerry (though could be a black card offence, nobody's sure) and Mayo give the Dubs an almighty rattle

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #58366 on: September 13, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
Not that am worried about Glen or Slaughtneil but what Silverhill say about Coleman in 93 is indeed correct, the county board couldn't wait to get rid of Coleman,

Anyways on to sunday with the Derry minors going up against a Kerry chasing 4 in a  row minor teams, if set up right we got a good chance and who is marking Clifford and whoever is in front of him will be very important, probably the best minor the game has ever seen, and will be hard to hold no mater who is on him. Getting on top at midfield is vital to stop the supply going in to the Kerry forwards. Kerry are favourites but maybe not as good as the previous 2 Kerry minor teams but they are there again and we got the best Derry team from the previous 2. Heres hoping they can bring it home.

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #58367 on: September 13, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
Think our main problem on Sunday is that we just don't have a natural CHB. And that is absolutely no critcism of any of the players who have been playing there in last few games. Think we have tried 2 MFs there in last 2 games. Nor indeed is it a criticism of the management as u can only play the people available to u. After the last 2 games  I was critical of us being too open through the middle, hopefully Mackers makes me eat my words on sunday.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #58368 on: September 13, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »
Derry to win by 3. Big issues in defending middle channel but I have a feeling they will have addressed it. 

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #58369 on: September 13, 2017, 03:56:18 PM »
Left Peg, restore pride, a little perspective required. Some facts for you to consider. In the two home league games over the past 2 years, neither Moran nor Gormley sought each other out for handshakes after respective home victories. Moran then suddenlyseeks Enda out after a championship victory when he knows a crowd will be watching the body language. Enda sticks to his principles and refuses the handshake. Opportunism and showboating and false platitudes from Moran.. I'll let you bet he judge of that?
Regarding 93. Enda would have witnessed at close quarters, the behaviour of Moran whilst Coleman was in the states. Moran was a big part of the Derry success and the panel and management would have known that. This is where the humility comes into the equation. That recognition from his peers wasn't sufficient. He saw an opportunity to help remove Coleman and him and h gribben used their position in the co. Board to promote gossip and innuendo regarding Eamon. Loyalty anyone? When challenged by the players about his behaviour, Moran stated that he would step down as interim manager if the players didn't want him. 20 players told him they couldn't play under him after witnessing his treachery yet he still tried to ride it out. Integrity anyone?
Enda would also have seen at first hand, Moran's refusal to manager his home club after 35 years of managing in every other corner of the country. The lure of the silver took him up the road despite being asked by his club to take their seniors. Those are the facts, judge as you see fit.

No they are not the facts, they are the facts according to you. Big difference. I have total respect for both, worked with one and played football with the other. Things happen, fallout after an AI win is common place in counties.  Not managing your own club team is not a crime, even if asked. The handshake or not is an over reaction to defeat and victory in a championship semifinal, which I absolutely understand but to question either's commitment to Derry GAA is a red (and white!) line for me. Life will go on, especially on Sunday.
Please let me know which one of my facts are incorrect Restore? The non handshakes..Moran's behaviour whilst Coleman  was in America then after he took over... his refusal to manage his own club?
And by the way, fallouts after all Ireland wins are not actually that common. Only in Derry could we win or first(and probably only) title and then sack the manager who delivered it. And over what... a few bob of expenses, a bricklayer with no pension goes to America to earn. Petty shit that any other county would have sorted in the blink of an eye. His crime? He lost a straight knockout championship match that was described as the game of the decade. Hang you heads in shame messrs Moran, gribben and shivers.

If you insist. Name the 20 players.

Ok, from memory 12 starters from the all Ireland final; Mccusker D, Mckeever, Mccusker f, Coleman, Downey H, Mcgurk j, Tohill a, Cassidy, Barton, Gormley, Downey S, Brolly. Then 8 of the subs, Spoofer, Mccormick, collie Mcgurk, Declan Bateson, Hugh Tohill, mulvenna, don Kelly, Eugene Kelly, Dermot O'neill.  Think that's 21 actually so my facts were wrong!

DERRYSFINEST

• View Profile
« Reply #58370 on: September 13, 2017, 04:53:18 PM »
Poor Silver hill has put in a bad week, poor chap.

All this talk is deflecting from the very poor performance of the Glen team on Sunday.  This was a game, even without winning it, for Glen to show everyone that they are a serious team and will be challenging for senior honours in the coming years.  In my opinion it was just another typical Glen championship performance that we have been used to over the years.

Can Bradley, McFaul, Tallon etc bring them to the next level? i have major doubts?

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #58371 on: September 13, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »
Left Peg, restore pride, a little perspective required. Some facts for you to consider. In the two home league games over the past 2 years, neither Moran nor Gormley sought each other out for handshakes after respective home victories. Moran then suddenlyseeks Enda out after a championship victory when he knows a crowd will be watching the body language. Enda sticks to his principles and refuses the handshake. Opportunism and showboating and false platitudes from Moran.. I'll let you bet he judge of that?
Regarding 93. Enda would have witnessed at close quarters, the behaviour of Moran whilst Coleman was in the states. Moran was a big part of the Derry success and the panel and management would have known that. This is where the humility comes into the equation. That recognition from his peers wasn't sufficient. He saw an opportunity to help remove Coleman and him and h gribben used their position in the co. Board to promote gossip and innuendo regarding Eamon. Loyalty anyone? When challenged by the players about his behaviour, Moran stated that he would step down as interim manager if the players didn't want him. 20 players told him they couldn't play under him after witnessing his treachery yet he still tried to ride it out. Integrity anyone?
Enda would also have seen at first hand, Moran's refusal to manager his home club after 35 years of managing in every other corner of the country. The lure of the silver took him up the road despite being asked by his club to take their seniors. Those are the facts, judge as you see fit.

Hi Ho Silver, tell me this Silver me bucko, if, when he was allegedly asked, he had said yes and he had went on to win 3,   yes 3 Derry titles in a row and 2 Ulster titles in that time with Glen,  do you think the same hostility would be shown to him by Enda or other Glen people? They'd be carrying him up and down Maghera. You need not try to fool anyone into to thinking that the anger shown to King Mickey is anything other pure jealously at what he has helped us achieve.  Up the Robbies!!
Hypothetical question Billy as that scenario was never going to materialise. Mickey couldn't countenance taking his own club because even he couldn't put the bare face on and ask for coin. So, your question is sort of irrelevant really.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #58372 on: September 13, 2017, 07:45:41 PM »

Hi Ho Silver, tell me this Silver me bucko, if, when he was allegedly asked, he had said yes and he had went on to win 3,   yes 3 Derry titles in a row and 2 Ulster titles in that time with Glen,  do you think the same hostility would be shown to him by Enda or other Glen people? They'd be carrying him up and down Maghera. You need not try to fool anyone into to thinking that the anger shown to King Mickey is anything other pure jealously at what he has helped us achieve.  Up the Robbies!!
Hypothetical question Billy as that scenario was never going to materialise. Mickey couldn't countenance taking his own club because even he couldn't put the bare face on and ask for coin. So, your question is sort of irrelevant really.

And based on your character assassination over the last few days, most true GAA people would say that Mickey was 100% correct not to go anywhere near the club.

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #58373 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »

And based on your character assassination over the last few days, most true GAA people would say that Mickey was 100% correct not to go anywhere near the club.

Dear oh dear Restore. I've already spelt it out for you, step by step, how each point was indeed a fact and not conjecture or opinion. If you now define that as character assassination, we'll, I have no control over your interpretation. I did note however that you had no response or opinion on the 21 players?

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #58374 on: September 13, 2017, 10:06:47 PM »
By your own admission, they weren't facts?! Can you not even remember what you posted?  40 years of bitterness is not good for your health or memory.  Do you not want to be still around when Glen wins the Senior Championship for the first time?  But please stop your character assassination of Mickey Moran, a gentleman both on and off the football pitch.

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58375 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:14 PM »
Just out of interest how many of the 21 that "couldn't play under him after witnessing his treachery", played during the league and ultimately started 94/95 league final against Donegal?
Ulster League Champions 2009

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #58376 on: September 13, 2017, 11:09:27 PM »
By your own admission, they weren't facts?! Can you not even remember what you posted?  40 years of bitterness is not good for your health or memory.  Do you not want to be still around when Glen wins the Senior Championship for the first time?  But please stop your character assassination of Mickey Moran, a gentleman both on and off the football pitch.
Dear God, you are thick? The only 'fact' that was incorrect was the number of players who didn't play. 21 players instead of 20 as originally stated. Me bad! If you interpret that as me stating that I can't remember what I posted then...well, what can I say. You might have had an argument if I could only have named say15 or 16, but when there were actually more...

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #58377 on: September 13, 2017, 11:24:27 PM »
Just out of interest how many of the 21 that "couldn't play under him after witnessing his treachery", played during the league and ultimately started 94/95 league final against Donegal?

Not sure, would need to hoke out the programme to accurately answer that one. I do recall it being rent a crowd for the opening league games pre Christmas. Did Coleman not tell the players that he appreciated their loyalty but ultimately Derry football trumped everything else? Sign of the man he was really. Eventually the majority were back for the championship I think, even Gary? You mention the league final... something happened in that game with Jonny Kelly or possibly just after that. Long time ago, but I think Moran dropped him from the panel. Maybe someone else can recall it better.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #58378 on: September 14, 2017, 12:10:30 AM »
Dear God, you are thick? The only 'fact' that was incorrect was the number of players who didn't play. 21 players instead of 20 as originally stated. Me bad! If you interpret that as me stating that I can't remember what I posted then...well, what can I say. You might have had an argument if I could only have named say15 or 16, but when there were actually more...

Once you bring god into the discussion, you always admit defeat. Thanks. There is no god, you probably are a former teacher who may even still believe in santa, probably attend mass regularly and can name 21 saints. But speaking on behalf of 21 AI winners is indeed a miracle.

greenlight

• View Profile
« Reply #58379 on: September 14, 2017, 06:08:58 AM »
Moran said Enda was big eared on a night out. Fall out stemmed from there.

Nothing to do with 93 or Mickey being shackled to his hometown club like a slave.