Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 8916429 times)

Uncle Phil

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #58215 on: September 11, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
Lads don't feed the troll!

Wasn't able to get to the game but fair play to the lads they dug out a result and got to another Final hopefully we can get over the line this time. I really think we need to do something out of the ordinary to win it this time fingers crossed there's a plan there to catch Slaughtneil out if we can!

Agree Screenexile. Slaughtneil are a ruthless outfit and it will take something really special from our lads to beat them. But we have a chance, and that's enough for me to look forward to at this stage!

left peg

• View Profile
« Reply #58216 on: September 11, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
A few things I observed from the slaughtneil glen match yesterday. The once influential Patsy Bradley has slowed down an awful lot even from last year and no longer has the same influence defensively for slaughtneil. How Paul Bradley keeps getting a staring spot especially ahead of young O'Doherty is insane even with Paul's free taking ability.

Glen didn't set up to win the match playing a sweeper with the breeze in the first half. They were missing a few starters which certainly would have hampered their performance but they just aren't close enough to slaughtneil yet, will they ever be? Time will tell!

Enda gormley refusing to shake his opposing managers hand even if he isn't an absolute gentleman is just childish perhaps a very sore loser.

Glen did do an awful lot of holding in front of the linesmen and officials that went unpunished, if they'd been at the s'neil ballinderry game they would certainly have known it is of absolutely no use and a badly thought out tactic.

Finally on the matter of draperstown playing slaughtneil in the final, to have any chance they would need to try and at least be offensive as slaughtneil have mastered the art of playing against the blanket, they'd happily win 1-0 as they've experience and patience in the build up!

tonesfirstandlast

• View Profile
« Reply #58217 on: September 11, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
Still waiting on your comment on the banagher lad that got his leg shattered by screen player in a hurling match

Well you didn't ask me to comment, so I didn't.
But since you've brought it up, I wasn't at it so have no first hand information. If, and I stress the word "if", it was a deliberate attack I condemn it completely, there's no need for that on a pitch or anywhere else.
I would also say that if it was a deliberate attack, it should be a matter for the police and not an internet forum. But since I dont know the injured player, or who was even supposed to have done the deed I cant comment with any certainty on any of it.

So back to my direct question to you TFAL...please enlighten us with your definition of a blood and thunder match?

TFAL you buffoon. We've been through this before. I was at the match and I saw the incident. The Banagher supporters beside me were in no doubt that it was an unfortunate fall, not a deliberate strike. Were you at the match?

You must have been the only draperstown  man not out taking part in the riot then you Uncle. Have a look at the Tyrone mans post. It was the most trampish act what your hurling team did that night.
As for Tbrick, he's like your other writer on here. He's never sees the games draperstown disgrace themselves and our association.

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #58218 on: September 11, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »
Still waiting on your comment on the banagher lad that got his leg shattered by screen player in a hurling match

Well you didn't ask me to comment, so I didn't.
But since you've brought it up, I wasn't at it so have no first hand information. If, and I stress the word "if", it was a deliberate attack I condemn it completely, there's no need for that on a pitch or anywhere else.
I would also say that if it was a deliberate attack, it should be a matter for the police and not an internet forum. But since I dont know the injured player, or who was even supposed to have done the deed I cant comment with any certainty on any of it.

So back to my direct question to you TFAL...please enlighten us with your definition of a blood and thunder match?

TFAL you buffoon. We've been through this before. I was at the match and I saw the incident. The Banagher supporters beside me were in no doubt that it was an unfortunate fall, not a deliberate strike. Were you at the match?

You must have been the only draperstown  man not out taking part in the riot then you Uncle. Have a look at the Tyrone mans post. It was the most trampish act what your hurling team did that night.
As for Tbrick, he's like your other writer on here. He's never sees the games draperstown disgrace themselves and our association.

tonesfirstandlast

• View Profile
« Reply #58219 on: September 11, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »
Alright Tbrick, good hard hitting games played within the rules and the ball moving from end to end and not the drab shite that draperstown, slaughtneil and Coleraine play.
And definitely not breaking young hurlers leg 

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #58220 on: September 11, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »
Alright Tbrick, good hard hitting games played within the rules and the ball moving from end to end and not the drab shite that draperstown, slaughtneil and Coleraine play.
And definitely not breaking young hurlers leg

Right, well I've seen plenty of hard hits in any of the games I've seen, I haven't seen anyone strike (though I know Bellaghy had a player or two sent off in the first round of the championship, so perhaps they didn't play within the rules) and the ball inevitably does move end to end as in all the games there have been scores at both ends. So by your definition, there's been plenty of blood and thunder games, except maybe for the match involving Bellaghy as they didn't play within the rules.

I think it goes without saying that no-one should break anyone's leg.

So I'm struggling to see any point you were making.
Perhaps you're just talking out of your hole?

left peg

• View Profile
« Reply #58221 on: September 11, 2017, 05:46:57 PM »
Unfortunately the man in question did intentionally break pjs leg which isn't surprising as he's a notorious dirt bag. Had his lengthy ban coming as good few years. The GAA as a whole is a better place without the Mcsorleys of the world. Feel sorry for PJ accidents can happen but this was an act of thuggery

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #58222 on: September 11, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »
Left Peg, firstly,  I agree, Cormac O'doherty is a better footballer and contributes much more than Paul Bradley, can only assume the former is injured. I would have to take issue with you're point that Gormley is a sore loser for not shaking hands with the 'gentlemen ', Michael Moran. If Enda's a sore loser, then why would he shake hands with all the other people from Slaughtneil on their management team and their players. No one from Glen will need any explanation as to why no handshake took place and never will. The people of Maghera are now wise to the many false faces of M Moran. Thankfully, there as still some things in life that can't be bought, integrity being one, loyalty, the other. Finally, Congratulations to Slaughtneil one there well deserved victory yesterday, we have no complaints on the day and were beaten by the beaten team.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #58223 on: September 11, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »
Left Peg, firstly,  I agree, Cormac O'doherty is a better footballer and contributes much more than Paul Bradley, can only assume the former is injured. I would have to take issue with you're point that Gormley is a sore loser for not shaking hands with the 'gentlemen ', Michael Moran. If Enda's a sore loser, then why would he shake hands with all the other people from Slaughtneil on their management team and their players. No one from Glen will need any explanation as to why no handshake took place and never will. The people of Maghera are now wise to the many false faces of M Moran. Thankfully, there as still some things in life that can't be bought, integrity being one, loyalty, the other. Finally, Congratulations to Slaughtneil one there well deserved victory yesterday, we have no complaints on the day and were beaten by the beaten team.
Paul Bradley is absolutely crucial to the Slaughtneil forward line, O'Doherty is a different type of player so comparisons are futile.  With regards to Mickey Moran you are too parochial and please do not allow jealousy to cloud your judgement of a good GAA man, both on and off the pitch.  I also have the highest respect for Enda. 

Redhead

• View Profile
« Reply #58224 on: September 11, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »
Parochial .... You can make that arguement if you want. Ask the rest of Maghera what they think.  For a more diverse opinion try some of the 93 team from other clubs. Ask them about integrity and loyalty. Ask them about Moran the CB man and his role in the Coleman sacking. Ask them about his ego and jealousy. Gormley has principles, that why he didn't shake hands. He is the one with integrity.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #58225 on: September 11, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »
Parochial .... You can make that arguement if you want. Ask the rest of Maghera what they think.  For a more diverse opinion try some of the 93 team from other clubs. Ask them about integrity and loyalty. Ask them about Moran the CB man and his role in the Coleman sacking. Ask them about his ego and jealousy. Gormley has principles, that why he didn't shake hands. He is the one with integrity.
Will I ask them about his playing exploits with Derry also?  Ulster medals back to back? His contribution to the 93 victory? Moran had no role in the Coleman sacking. A confident first post, mind you, which is interesting. Given the Moran link to Derry GAA teams for over 65 years, loyalty is not an issue. All successful footballers and managers have egos. Knowing both men for many years, I can look beyond a handshake.

Redhead

• View Profile
« Reply #58226 on: September 12, 2017, 06:50:16 AM »
Ask the 75/76 team where he was in 77 when Armagh beat them and went to the AI Final. He certainly wasn't in Clones. Loyalty? Significant role played in 93 I don't think there's anyone  who doubts his coaching ability. Unfortunately he and another selector were on the CB in 94. They had significant roles in the shameful events that year.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #58227 on: September 12, 2017, 07:40:40 AM »
Ask the 75/76 team where he was in 77 when Armagh beat them and went to the AI Final. He certainly wasn't in Clones. Loyalty? Significant role played in 93 I don't think there's anyone  who doubts his coaching ability. Unfortunately he and another selector were on the CB in 94. They had significant roles in the shameful events that year.

If you are going to play that card, any local player in Australia at present?  Catch yourself on. So he went to America as a young man in his twenties in 77. With 40 years of bitterness of that magnitude there might not be a cure.

left peg

• View Profile
« Reply #58228 on: September 12, 2017, 08:23:50 AM »
Gormleys gripe has very little to do with events in 93 or how many years ago you think it has. He isn't happy that he took a neighbouring club to 3 senior Derry championships and 2 ulster titles, something he can only dream about. One manager was f'n and blinding all throughout the match at the referee and his own players one stood quietly with his arms folded, now tell me which is the gentleman?

It's not that difficult to shake any mans hand unless you  are intact a sore loser. The crowds reqction said it all even a few glen ones behind me were disgusted at how petty he acted.

On the Paul Bradley issue opposition teams are targeting his poor running ability week in week out, if I was MM I'd have young O'Doherty starting at 11.

Uncle Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #58229 on: September 12, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
Unfortunately the man in question did intentionally break pjs leg which isn't surprising as he's a notorious dirt bag. Had his lengthy ban coming as good few years. The GAA as a whole is a better place without the Mcsorleys of the world. Feel sorry for PJ accidents can happen but this was an act of thuggery

Ballsy hurling commentary for a Magherafelt man. Look, I've said it on here before. Every club has its idiots. The man you are referring to is one of them. A knob on the field and a bigger one off it. Irrespective of his reputation, it's important to stick to the facts. I know what the facts are, because I was there, and I saw what happened. Did you see the incident?