Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 8468974 times)

restorepride

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #58080 on: August 28, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Two prospective Derry managers have just walked into Owenbeg here. They were let in through the back door so they didn't even pay in. The caretaker must know something. Lots of shaking hands going on and an Irish News journalist there too. When will they tell us?
You really are lonely! Attracting attention by fabrication is usually a final effort to make at least one friend.  You might have failed.  Better to keep it real.

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #58081 on: August 28, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »
Anybody who is really up to speed  re the identity of  the new Derry football manager do not have to be "entertained" as to which prospective manager is sitting where in Owenbeg tonight or at any other Derry championship game.  That  position has already been filled. All that remains to be done is for the County Board to make an announcement  at an appropriate time before  the end of the month.In the meantime everyone keeps a diplomatic silence!!

What is more important is that we should all sincerely congratulate our magnificent Minor side and their tremendous victory over Dublin in yesterday's All Ireland semi final.The best of luck to them and their excellent management team as they prepare for the final against Kerry on Sunday September 17th. 

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #58082 on: August 28, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »
Not going too well for coleraine it appears.

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #58083 on: August 28, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
From one who was not at the game it would appear that the early concession of three goals in the opening quarter  combined with  the 26th minute dismissal of Barry McGoldrick left Coleraine with an insurmountable mountain to climb in the second half.

From those who were at the match I would be interested in finding out who were the stand out players tonight. One bonus for the new county manager should mean that Coleraine's better players should be available for county duty next season!!

Dub000737

• View Profile
« Reply #58084 on: August 28, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »
Benny Heron excellent. His first half performance was anyway. Championship is over. Robbies are as far ahead of the clubs still left as Dublin are. Optimist is right. The manager has been picked.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58085 on: August 28, 2017, 11:30:21 PM »
Tale of two halves one just exceptional and the other very mediocre.

We're in the hat though when many didn't think we'd touch Coleraine at all so I'll take that.

For some reason Coleraine just do not like playing Screen!!

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #58086 on: August 29, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
Screen were just awesome in the first half, blew Coleraine away.
Dominated every sector of the field.
Then we go a man up, after Barry McGoldrick rightly got the line.

I have a feeling in the second half we have a combination of Coleraine pushing harder and Screen deciding to make sure they didnt concede goals whilst knowing that they would get a few points on the counter attack, enough to see the game out...and that's what happened. Made for a poor second half, but the result is what mattered.
I'd have preferred to see us push on though.

Coleraine really look like a shadow of the team they were. Missed an awful lot and I'd say they'll be disappointed with their own performance.

Benny Heron was unmarkable in that first half.

Referee was out of his depth. Some very strange decisions, such as raising his hand for advantage then immediately pulling back for the free. Coleraine even had the ball in the net once and he pulled it back to give them advantage. He gave frees where there was none, then he missed some of the most obvious frees you'll ever see.

Anyway, good to get to a semi final. Still tough to see anyone beating Slaughtneil.

Buzzkill

• View Profile
« Reply #58087 on: August 29, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
Great win for Screen last night. The first half performance was outstanding and Benny Herron was unmarkable for that period.

I think we went too defensive in the second half. More concerned with making sure Coleraine didn't score a goal than adding any damage at the other end. But in reality the game was over as a contest and we were happy to see out the match.

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58088 on: August 29, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
Good to see Ballinderry still involved in championship football tonight, hosting the Foreglen and Ballerin game. Looked a pile of shit.

Anyone at the Glen game; Kilrea have gone to pish.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:29:04 PM by theticklemister »

DERRYSFINEST

• View Profile
« Reply #58089 on: August 30, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
what date are the senior football semi finals to be played?

Dub000737

• View Profile
« Reply #58090 on: August 30, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
Probably the weekend of the 9th-10th after the county board announces the new manager. If that announcement is delayed then it's mackers, if not then it's crozier and tohill. Well done to the wattys last night. Some class football from them in the second half. If the row is on video big Emmett should get off.

TransitVanMan

• The Keystone Cops
    • View Profile
« Reply #58091 on: August 30, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »
Probably the weekend of the 9th-10th after the county board announces the new manager. If that announcement is delayed then it's mackers, if not then it's crozier and tohill. Well done to the wattys last night. Some class football from them in the second half. If the row is on video big Emmett should get off.

Can't see how he will get off, was very silly to react, but difficult not to sometimes I suppose.

Even with him its difficult to see how we can get past the Neilers. Let's call a spade a spade Kilrea weren't exactly the fittest team to grace Owenbeg this year.

Get in the Van!

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #58092 on: August 30, 2017, 04:20:02 PM »
As I was not able to attend  many of  Derry's club championship games I would be interested to hear from those who saw  a lot of  games, in all three grades,  to state  the names of  the stand out players so far in each section.

doiregael93

• View Profile
« Reply #58093 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »

Can't see how he will get off, was very silly to react, but difficult not to sometimes I suppose.

Even with him its difficult to see how we can get past the Neilers. Let's call a spade a spade Kilrea weren't exactly the fittest team to grace Owenbeg this year.

Maybe because getting headbutted doesn't merit a sending off

Dub000737

• View Profile
« Reply #58094 on: August 30, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
As I was not able to attend  many of  Derry's club championship games I would be interested to hear from those who saw  a lot of  games, in all three grades,  to state  the names of  the stand out players so far in each section.

Most of the Derry panel stood out
Outside that Bradley and Convery glen
Lavey full forward maybe
Sean Leo, Colm, Liam, Holly, two Mullans and Mooney
Paul Bradley and cormac
Nothing from Dungiven or Bellaghy or Loup or Swatragh or Magherafelt or Banagher or Ballinderry