Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 9497688 times)

JoG2

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #54225 on: October 09, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »
A couple of points –

1)   From what I am told Ballinderry aren’t in a B section. The u21 tournament has ditched the north/south Derry aspect and is split into two pools or something. Honestly don’t know the ins/outs of it but a college at work told me Ballinderry are in the same tournament as Glen etc.
2)   League games are being played this weekend. If Swatragh beat Glen and Glenullin win their last two games that leaves 6 teams on the same points I think
3)   Yeah slaughtneil rode their luck at times, but overall I think they were the best team in the Derry championship. However yes McGuckin should play for them in Ulster as he was their biggest saviour this year.
4)   I fancy the ‘Vale to beat drum by 4 or 5 this weekend.

So glad to see the back of the ‘cheating’ rants…

Ballinderrry are in "b" under 21 championship as we were drawn against them in next round 😱

the city amalgamation team Shanty?

shantygael

• View Profile
« Reply #54226 on: October 09, 2015, 02:18:38 PM »
A couple of points –

1)   From what I am told Ballinderry aren’t in a B section. The u21 tournament has ditched the north/south Derry aspect and is split into two pools or something. Honestly don’t know the ins/outs of it but a college at work told me Ballinderry are in the same tournament as Glen etc.
2)   League games are being played this weekend. If Swatragh beat Glen and Glenullin win their last two games that leaves 6 teams on the same points I think
3)   Yeah slaughtneil rode their luck at times, but overall I think they were the best team in the Derry championship. However yes McGuckin should play for them in Ulster as he was their biggest saviour this year.
4)   I fancy the ‘Vale to beat drum by 4 or 5 this weekend.

So glad to see the back of the ‘cheating’ rants…

Ballinderrry are in "b" under 21 championship as we were drawn against them in next round 😱

the city amalgamation team Shanty?

Yip.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54227 on: October 09, 2015, 04:37:17 PM »
How u gonna approach this game shantygael

shantygael

• View Profile
« Reply #54228 on: October 09, 2015, 05:00:14 PM »
How u gonna approach this game shantygael
Over the glenshane,towards magherafelt,then onto ballinderry,should take about an hour.😊

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #54229 on: October 10, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »
Drum will be wondering how they let that victory slip from their grasp today! Have they missed the boat as the underdog usually has to do it in the first match.   By some distance the better,  and hungrier team.  3 great goal chances,  2 handy frees and numerous other chances all spurned. 

It's a pity there wasn't extra time.  Would have liked to have seen another 20 mins.  Great effort from both sides.  Some fierce ,  intense tackling and defending.  End product from both teams wasn't what they would have hoped for on final day

1500 odd there. 

valeman

• View Profile
« Reply #54230 on: October 10, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »
Drum will be wondering how they let that victory slip from their grasp today! Have they missed the boat as the underdog usually has to do it in the first match.   By some distance the better,  and hungrier team.  3 great goal chances,  2 handy frees and numerous other chances all spurned. 

It's a pity there wasn't extra time.  Would have liked to have seen another 20 mins.  Great effort from both sides.  Some fierce ,  intense tackling and defending.  End product from both teams wasn't what they would have hoped for on final day

1500 odd there.

Fair enough assessment JoG. Think we didn't perform at all. Having said that we led 4-1 and 7-5 and at both stages in the middle of each half kicked a number of poor wides and balls into the keepers hands that would and should have killed the game. Having said that as you said Drum missed a series of good goal chances (very good performance from young Moore in goals for us) and at the end they were definitely in the accendancy. Overall and interesting and fiercely contested championship game lacking a little in quality and probably on the whole a fair enough result. Also a great crowd for a junior final I thought, credit to both clubs.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #54231 on: October 10, 2015, 08:47:17 PM »
Lacked a bit of quality,  especially in the forward units,  but a hard hitting,  high energy match.  I'd say there wasn't a single person there would not have liked to have seen another 20 mins. 

Replay date sorted yet Vale man?

valeman

• View Profile
« Reply #54232 on: October 10, 2015, 08:54:05 PM »
Lacked a bit of quality,  especially in the forward units,  but a hard hitting,  high energy match.  I'd say there wasn't a single person there would not have liked to have seen another 20 mins. 

Replay date sorted yet Vale man?

Next Saturday 5pm, Owenbeg

shantygael

• View Profile
« Reply #54233 on: October 10, 2015, 08:57:12 PM »
Should be extra time instead of a replay.drum definitely had the momentum near the end.they should have won it,will be kicking themselves.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #54234 on: October 10, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
Should be extra time instead of a replay.drum definitely had the momentum near the end.they should have won it,will be kicking themselves.

They well to come back twice.  Vale definitely more economical in front of the posts.  I though with Drum 2 down 15 odd mins into the 2nd half,  if Vale had pinged over another,  the game was over. 

I'd say Joe Gray will be sore in the morning,  a fierce (late)  hit on him.  The wee physio for Drum was working over time today.   Think she covered as much ground as the players. 

Barry Cassidy is awful hard to read,  very frustrating for the players

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #54235 on: October 11, 2015, 09:12:59 PM »
Big win for Glen over Swatragh today which clears a lot of congestion up at the bottom of the table , its  now between just Swatragh and Glenullin as  to who Forglen will play off against

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #54236 on: October 13, 2015, 10:40:33 AM »
So Magherafelt couldn't field for an u16A championship semi final last night... despite the fact they were Feile champions last year, and had a Feile development team as well.  Apparently some of the players had soccer and rugby today.

I propose Lenny for Magherafelt Director of football to get it all sorted out.

So Magherafelt and Glen cant field teams in underage (when they think they are going to get beaten) and then they wonder why it all goes pear shaped when they get to senior football

Got that sorted. Our semi final goes ahead this Saturday. Anything else you want sorted you total pr**k.

DERRYSFINEST

• View Profile
« Reply #54237 on: October 13, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »
Calm down Lenny, you under pressure at work or something ;) take a chill pill.

BTW you didn't sort anything. It was down to the good gesture from Bellaghy to agree to play Magherafelt that the game has been refixed. Magherafelt appealed to the CCC without success, and when they were going to further appeal to Ulster Bellaghy stepped in and said, let them back in.

Will a Saturday fixture not clash with Soccer and rugby again though?

WaterBoy

• Now that's what I call high quality H2O
    • View Profile
« Reply #54238 on: October 14, 2015, 03:20:30 PM »
http://www.derrynow.com/sport/derry-forms-games-review-committee-to-address-fixture-problems/49696

Good to see some dialogue about this especially as it will involve players and members of the CCC rather than just club delagates voting whatever way they want at the county convention.

League football has become a bit of a farce in both scheduling by CCC and attitude to the league from clubs (teams conceding games & fielding weakened teams once they are out of the championship and safe from relegation)
The ratio of training to games is shocking, regular games are needed and a fixed schedule so that players and managers can plan things around games. 

The reserve league is a shambles and needs addressed, last league game for most clubs was in June and 1st round of championship only played last weekend.  Is it any wonder we loose so many players after minor level?  Heard someone suggesting recently that Reserve games should be played on a Friday night, probably worth a try, then again do the CCC or the clubs care enough about reserve football to make it work

This could also be the end of the Back Door in the championship...

Any suggestions for improvements in league/championship formats??

Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

Cromagh

• View Profile
« Reply #54239 on: October 14, 2015, 07:38:05 PM »
Suggestion for new format.....

Leagues stay as they are - give every team regular games every week with or without county players. League does not affect cship placing.

Cship - 4 groups of 4. Everyone plays other - start of May, mid July and then mid august. In all these games - county players are available. Top 2 go through to senior 1/4,finals.
Bottom 2 in each group go into relegation competition - the losing team at end is relegated into intermediate cship to be replaced by intermediate champions. The second last team plays intermediate finalists in promotion/ relegation playoff. County players available for every cship match and every match that affects relegation, promotiin.

The league plays on - without county players during their main part of season and top 4 play for league title.
I know league will be meaningless - but it frees up county players and takes pressure off weaker clubs who can't do without them.

Kilkenny hurling works this way - does them no harm - current senior county & club all iteland champions

Discuss??