Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 9497552 times)

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #53655 on: August 25, 2015, 02:49:32 PM »
All but two of the minor starting 15 were from senior league clubs? Why are we not producing players capable of County football among our intermediate and junior clubs? Tyrone do it, why can't we?

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #53656 on: August 25, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »
All but two of the minor starting 15 were from senior league clubs? Why are we not producing players capable of County football among our intermediate and junior clubs? Tyrone do it, why can't we?

McIver was in the throws of trying to sort this issue. He had a clatter of intermediate players in the league / championship squad, had junior players in the McKenna squad and had player/s from most junior clubs at Owenbeg training with the senior squad at the start of the year

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53657 on: August 25, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
The reason for that Walter is that most intermediate and junior clubs play underage football at B or C grade level! This allows talented players to pick up bad habits plus there is a major jump from these leagues to intercounty minor!

That's why the A league (mostly senior) clubs are at a serious advantage when it comes to selecting the county minors

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53658 on: August 25, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »
How many players from this current Derry squad are under the bar for next year?

WaterBoy

• Now that's what I call high quality H2O
    • View Profile
« Reply #53659 on: August 25, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
I think Damien, his management team and players have out pride in the jersey and conducted themselves in a professional manner throughout! However I think he has let himself down badly with this public rant!! His concerns should have been delivered Inhouse and a plan put in place to build on a promising 2015 for Derry minors! But before I go onto his genuine issues, was a lack of strength and conditioning for our lads kicking balls over the line, scoring only 1-6 (including a flukey goal) as we looked leggy and didn't push forward enough? We have issues with S&C but I do feel our lads allowed the occasion to get to them a bit! This can happen as they are only young lads and sometimes you can learn more in defeat! Hopefully many of these lads will have bright futures with their clubs and some will continue to wear the county jersey with pride!
Ps I thought Niall Keenan, as he has been all year, was superb!

On the dev squads issue I'm not sure how much focus goes into S&C
I assume it forms a significant part of the training structure!
The dev squads have some fundamental problems within our county

1 Many clubs actively discourage their 15-17 year olds from taking part!
2 Our u17 team was non existent in previous years as lads who didn't make the minor squad dropped out of the process and didn't get involved with u17 squad
3 the u15 / u16 managers will pick who they think are good enough at that stage of their development and these lads will get 2-3 years invested in them, yet a minor manager may deem them as not good enough!
4 the opposite of no 3 is possible where a player chooses not to enter the dev squad process (or not be selected) yet they are then parachuted into the minor panel by the minor mgmt! So these players get to play minor football having not been involved with the Dev squads!
5 is the S&C good enough in these squads??

These are some of the issues
How do we overcome this?
1 have a minor mgmt to do 5 years and oversee what is going on at dev squads! This maybe unrealistic as 5 year plans rarely work!
2 have 4 sets of mgmt teams who take their teams from u15 through to minor! - again not ideal as that would require a lot of men plus would our present minor mgmt, for example, wish to drop back to u15! I can't see it!
3 have a rule that states ALL county minors MUST have been involved in the Dev Squad structure! Can't see this working as minid managers will want, what they see as their best players on the minor panel! Plus this rule would prevent late developers getting on to a minor panel!
4 we must get the best S&C structure in place and monitor it fully to ensure player participation!
5 don't neglect the skills of Gaelic football as lifting weights won't help a player's 1st touch or ability to kick points!

Sorry about the long rant! Getting players through the dev squad process in to minor is complex! It will need continuous development!

Finally I think the more important issue is turning these minors into seasoned senior footballers VIA the county u21's! Now that's another argument altogether!  ::)

Maybe they should focus on the clubs and schools, send the Strength & Conditioning and skills coaches there for weekly sessions instead of development squads which most people agree are not working
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #53660 on: August 25, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
I think Damien, his management team and players have out pride in the jersey and conducted themselves in a professional manner throughout! However I think he has let himself down badly with this public rant!! His concerns should have been delivered Inhouse and a plan put in place to build on a promising 2015 for Derry minors! But before I go onto his genuine issues, was a lack of strength and conditioning for our lads kicking balls over the line, scoring only 1-6 (including a flukey goal) as we looked leggy and didn't push forward enough? We have issues with S&C but I do feel our lads allowed the occasion to get to them a bit! This can happen as they are only young lads and sometimes you can learn more in defeat! Hopefully many of these lads will have bright futures with their clubs and some will continue to wear the county jersey with pride!
Ps I thought Niall Keenan, as he has been all year, was superb!

On the dev squads issue I'm not sure how much focus goes into S&C
I assume it forms a significant part of the training structure!
The dev squads have some fundamental problems within our county

1 Many clubs actively discourage their 15-17 year olds from taking part!
2 Our u17 team was non existent in previous years as lads who didn't make the minor squad dropped out of the process and didn't get involved with u17 squad
3 the u15 / u16 managers will pick who they think are good enough at that stage of their development and these lads will get 2-3 years invested in them, yet a minor manager may deem them as not good enough!
4 the opposite of no 3 is possible where a player chooses not to enter the dev squad process (or not be selected) yet they are then parachuted into the minor panel by the minor mgmt! So these players get to play minor football having not been involved with the Dev squads!
5 is the S&C good enough in these squads??

These are some of the issues
How do we overcome this?
1 have a minor mgmt to do 5 years and oversee what is going on at dev squads! This maybe unrealistic as 5 year plans rarely work!
2 have 4 sets of mgmt teams who take their teams from u15 through to minor! - again not ideal as that would require a lot of men plus would our present minor mgmt, for example, wish to drop back to u15! I can't see it!
3 have a rule that states ALL county minors MUST have been involved in the Dev Squad structure! Can't see this working as minid managers will want, what they see as their best players on the minor panel! Plus this rule would prevent late developers getting on to a minor panel!
4 we must get the best S&C structure in place and monitor it fully to ensure player participation!
5 don't neglect the skills of Gaelic football as lifting weights won't help a player's 1st touch or ability to kick points!

Sorry about the long rant! Getting players through the dev squad process in to minor is complex! It will need continuous development!

Finally I think the more important issue is turning these minors into seasoned senior footballers VIA the county u21's! Now that's another argument altogether!  ::)

Maybe they should focus on the clubs and schools, send the Strength & Conditioning and skills coaches there for weekly sessions instead of development squads which most people agree are not working
This would be a good idea in my opinion.

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53661 on: August 25, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
The problem with coaches going into schools is that you would need a lot of them!
Some schools might only have 1 or 2 dev squad players but they would need catered for!
It would be no issue way the larger schools as they would have plenty of lads so the coaches time would be well spent!
A possibility would be to get the PE teachers from each school involved as get them to roll out and monitor the S&C programme! Is this possible? Would the teachers get involved?

Ps we must make sure we don't get carried away with S&C and neglect the skills and aerobic fitness! We want to produce FOOTBALLERS not rugby players or weight lifters

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #53662 on: August 25, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »
The problem with coaches going into schools is that you would need a lot of them!
Some schools might only have 1 or 2 dev squad players but they would need catered for!
It would be no issue way the larger schools as they would have plenty of lads so the coaches time would be well spent!
A possibility would be to get the PE teachers from each school involved as get them to roll out and monitor the S&C programme! Is this possible? Would the teachers get involved?

Ps we must make sure we don't get carried away with S&C and neglect the skills and aerobic fitness! We want to produce FOOTBALLERS not rugby players or weight lifters
I believe that every underage footballer should have access to the same S & C program, not just those who are on a development squad at a certain age. With players this age a lot can change in the space of a few years.

Real Talk

• View Profile
« Reply #53663 on: August 25, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »
I think it is also worth remembering that this years Minor Management has for the first time in many years had access to their players from before Christmas (I may be wrong in this).  There was less interference from teams trying to put the winning of an Ulster Minor trophy/McRory Cup as a priority over the opportunity to train as a part of the County Minor squad.   

This has been a very successful year for the Derry Minor Management and Players in winning an Ulster Title.  I also believe Damian is in a good position to articulate where improvements can be made with the S&C being seen as an important aspect going forward. 

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53664 on: August 25, 2015, 09:14:34 PM »
Agree real talk
Lets keep that chat for the corridors of owenbeg
Not the Irish news

Real Talk

• View Profile
« Reply #53665 on: August 25, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »
Agree real talk
Lets keep that chat for the corridors of owenbeg
Not the Irish news

Sometimes at Management level the opportunities to chat with the people in Owenbeg doesn't just happen.  There needs to be a 'proper review of the past year' conducted with the relevant stakeholders.  When the team is beaten then this becomes an unlikely scenario but you are correct that evaluation should be part of an 'ongoing progressive process' behind closed doors.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #53666 on: August 25, 2015, 09:43:16 PM »
Derry simply did not turn up and were very poor on the day, they actually beat in my opinion a better Donegal team than this Kerry Team. Was P Kearney injured, he wasn't in the game having been to the fore all year, I would not have changed J Doherty and Glass and kept Glass in the postion he played all year only attack more, He played the whole game on the defensive ends of things. McGuigan Derry best forward was well marked as Kerry knew he was the danger man. trying to play a defensive type of football when 5-1 after 13mins didn`t make sense either, a plan b is needed when plan A goes awry even if it happens so quick into a match

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53667 on: August 25, 2015, 09:46:34 PM »
Think we all agree that 2015 was a good year for our minors
Hopefully that mgmt team return and continue to build on their good work to date for a few years with the support if the Development squad coaches!
Appointing the right u21 management TEAM is nearly as important as the senior post as I believe this is where county senior teams are built!

On a side note
Our minor A c'ship threw up some really tight games
Any updates folks
Glen going for 5 in a row??

Fr. Cyril McDuff

• 42-39-56, you could say she had it all
    • View Profile
« Reply #53668 on: August 25, 2015, 10:27:40 PM »
Hopefully that mgmt team return and continue to build on their good work to date for a few years with the support if the Development squad coaches!
Appointing the right u21 management TEAM is nearly as important as the senior post as I believe this is where county senior teams are built!

On a side note
Any updates folks

Glen beat Bellaghy by a point. Great match in awful conditions.

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53669 on: August 25, 2015, 10:32:55 PM »

On a side note
Any updates folks

Was at the Steelstown v Slaughtneil tonight and mcguigan was very good. Seemed to have that extra second on the ball. Our county minor, Concannon who was superb on Sunday , was on holidays. Slaughtneil were very good and are a big strong team. Their no.7 was class tonight and their chf was also excellent. Ruairi Maguire for us was very impressive.

Glen , third bottom managed to beat league champions Bellaghy. Goes to show what happens when you can get your full squad out.