Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 9497581 times)

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #53640 on: August 23, 2015, 03:06:25 PM »
Kerry were the better side. Couple of strange decisions towards the end. The Black card and the disallowed goal. Why was the goal disallowed?

Clear push in the back. Not by the goalscorer, but by the Derry player closest to goal, pushed his marker in the back. No idea why he did it. Not necessary.
Black card was a correct decision. Dragged his man to the ground.
Ulster League Champions 2009

OakLeaf

• View Profile
« Reply #53641 on: August 23, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »
Hmm. 50:50 for me. The tackle rule is that you flick your hand in and out. The Kerry defender left his in there and from slightly behind. Free in for me. Not that it would have made and difference.

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53642 on: August 23, 2015, 04:11:42 PM »
Hmm. 50:50 for me. The tackle rule is that you flick your hand in and out. The Kerry defender left his in there and from slightly behind. Free in for me. Not that it would have made and difference.

Me lad the Derry lad pulled the Kerry man to the ground. Correct black card by the ref. ah Kerry the better team and that was it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:50:41 PM by theticklemister »

OakLeaf

• View Profile
« Reply #53643 on: August 23, 2015, 05:42:57 PM »

Me lad the Derry lad pulled the Kerry man to the ground. Correct black card by the ref. ah Kerry the better team and that was it.

You're entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree.

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #53644 on: August 24, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »
The most disappointing thing about the minor game is that they looked like they didnt perform as well as they had done in previous games.
They lacked intensity and just seemed to be caught sleeping too many times.
On the day, Kerry were far and away the better side, I just dont think Derry gave a true reflection of themselves.

In saying that, I think at the start of the year if anyone had suggested we'd win Ulster at minor level and get to an AI semi final, we wouldn't have been given much hope. So it still needs to be seen as a successful year for minors, even if it did come to a disappointing end.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:55:36 AM by tbrick18 »

break ball

• View Profile
« Reply #53645 on: August 24, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »
Sorry to go off topic folks but has anyone any idea when the reserve senior championship is being played?

WaterBoy

• Now that's what I call high quality H2O
    • View Profile
« Reply #53646 on: August 24, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »
Sorry to go off topic folks but has anyone any idea when the reserve senior championship is being played?

Was originally fixed for Thursday 6th of August.  Usually played after round 2 of the senior championship I think and rattled off every week, although with Senior QF qualifiers scheduled for the week after Round 2 now its hard to know.

So in answer to your question, I have no idea when it will be played
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

DERRYSFINEST

• View Profile
« Reply #53647 on: August 25, 2015, 10:18:57 AM »
McErlain says Derry were outmuscled
24 August 2015

McErlain felt Kerry’s greater physicality was the decisive factor in their All-Ireland MFC semi-final victory over Derry.

And McErlain believes the Oak Leaf County will need to put a greater emphasis on strength and conditioning if they’re to compete for the Tom Markham Cup in the future.

The Derry manager said in the Irish News: “These lads have shown great character and great work ethic to get this far and they’ve put a bit of pride back in the Derry jersey at minor level.

“Hopefully it’s given them a bit of incentive to do the work to compete at U21 and senior level, but there are a whole lot of things that need to happen in Derry before we get a stream of success.

“This team has basically got here with one year’s work. At the minute, the development squad structures aren’t what they need to be. They aren’t what they are in Kerry.

“Just looking at the Kerry lads when they took off their shirts at the end of the game, you know that there’s physical development going on there that certainly hasn’t happened in our county.”

Agree or disagree?  Was this the main factor our minors got beat?  Maybe i'm old school but I think Derry were beaten by a better 'footballing' team, who had greater skills and who were better organised.

I think Derry minors can be very proud of the season they had

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53648 on: August 25, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
McErlain says Derry were outmuscled
24 August 2015

McErlain felt Kerry’s greater physicality was the decisive factor in their All-Ireland MFC semi-final victory over Derry.

And McErlain believes the Oak Leaf County will need to put a greater emphasis on strength and conditioning if they’re to compete for the Tom Markham Cup in the future.

The Derry manager said in the Irish News: “These lads have shown great character and great work ethic to get this far and they’ve put a bit of pride back in the Derry jersey at minor level.

“Hopefully it’s given them a bit of incentive to do the work to compete at U21 and senior level, but there are a whole lot of things that need to happen in Derry before we get a stream of success.

“This team has basically got here with one year’s work. At the minute, the development squad structures aren’t what they need to be. They aren’t what they are in Kerry.

“Just looking at the Kerry lads when they took off their shirts at the end of the game, you know that there’s physical development going on there that certainly hasn’t happened in our county.”

Agree or disagree?  Was this the main factor our minors got beat?  Maybe i'm old school but I think Derry were beaten by a better 'footballing' team, who had greater skills and who were better organised.

I think Derry minors can be very proud of the season they had

I mostly agree with that but I also think the occasion got to the lads because there were a lot of really really bad unforced errors throughout the game that wouldn't happen on a regular pitch.

Having said that it was clear to see the size of the Kerry lads compared to ours. . . He's not wrong about that and we appointed a full time Strength and Conditioning coach in 2011. Do we still have one??

doodaa

• View Profile
« Reply #53649 on: August 25, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »
I thought our minors lacked the same sharpness/ speed that the Kerry team had, if that is considered strength & conditioning then I would agree that we were lacking.
However I don't believe we were outmuscled. Both sides had some big strong men and it didn't look like that had much of an effect IMO.
I just think we got beat by the better, sharper footballing side.

Donegal Derryman

• View Profile
« Reply #53650 on: August 25, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
Think it was a combination of factors and I think the confidence or belief went a bit after a poor enough first half. A few high, hanging kickouts put Derry on the backfoot and some unforced errors down to nerves let Kerry have enough possession in poor conditions to get the scores we needed in the first half. A couple of missed 45's added to the belief we could win draining away aswell I think. Dont think the team did themselves justice in the conditions and surroundings of Croke Park which is understandable at minor level.

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53651 on: August 25, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
I think Damien, his management team and players have out pride in the jersey and conducted themselves in a professional manner throughout! However I think he has let himself down badly with this public rant!! His concerns should have been delivered Inhouse and a plan put in place to build on a promising 2015 for Derry minors! But before I go onto his genuine issues, was a lack of strength and conditioning for our lads kicking balls over the line, scoring only 1-6 (including a flukey goal) as we looked leggy and didn't push forward enough? We have issues with S&C but I do feel our lads allowed the occasion to get to them a bit! This can happen as they are only young lads and sometimes you can learn more in defeat! Hopefully many of these lads will have bright futures with their clubs and some will continue to wear the county jersey with pride!
Ps I thought Niall Keenan, as he has been all year, was superb!

On the dev squads issue I'm not sure how much focus goes into S&C
I assume it forms a significant part of the training structure!
The dev squads have some fundamental problems within our county

1 Many clubs actively discourage their 15-17 year olds from taking part!
2 Our u17 team was non existent in previous years as lads who didn't make the minor squad dropped out of the process and didn't get involved with u17 squad
3 the u15 / u16 managers will pick who they think are good enough at that stage of their development and these lads will get 2-3 years invested in them, yet a minor manager may deem them as not good enough!
4 the opposite of no 3 is possible where a player chooses not to enter the dev squad process (or not be selected) yet they are then parachuted into the minor panel by the minor mgmt! So these players get to play minor football having not been involved with the Dev squads!
5 is the S&C good enough in these squads??

These are some of the issues
How do we overcome this?
1 have a minor mgmt to do 5 years and oversee what is going on at dev squads! This maybe unrealistic as 5 year plans rarely work!
2 have 4 sets of mgmt teams who take their teams from u15 through to minor! - again not ideal as that would require a lot of men plus would our present minor mgmt, for example, wish to drop back to u15! I can't see it!
3 have a rule that states ALL county minors MUST have been involved in the Dev Squad structure! Can't see this working as minid managers will want, what they see as their best players on the minor panel! Plus this rule would prevent late developers getting on to a minor panel!
4 we must get the best S&C structure in place and monitor it fully to ensure player participation!
5 don't neglect the skills of Gaelic football as lifting weights won't help a player's 1st touch or ability to kick points!

Sorry about the long rant! Getting players through the dev squad process in to minor is complex! It will need continuous development!

Finally I think the more important issue is turning these minors into seasoned senior footballers VIA the county u21's! Now that's another argument altogether!  ::)

DERRYSFINEST

• View Profile
« Reply #53652 on: August 25, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »
I think Damien, his management team and players have out pride in the jersey and conducted themselves in a professional manner throughout! However I think he has let himself down badly with this public rant!! His concerns should have been delivered Inhouse and a plan put in place to build on a promising 2015 for Derry minors! But before I go onto his genuine issues, was a lack of strength and conditioning for our lads kicking balls over the line, scoring only 1-6 (including a flukey goal) as we looked leggy and didn't push forward enough? We have issues with S&C but I do feel our lads allowed the occasion to get to them a bit! This can happen as they are only young lads and sometimes you can learn more in defeat! Hopefully many of these lads will have bright futures with their clubs and some will continue to wear the county jersey with pride!

2 Our u17 team was non existent in previous years as lads who didn't make the minor squad dropped out of the process and didn't get involved with u17 squad
3 the u15 / u16 managers will pick who they think are good enough at that stage of their development and these lads will get 2-3 years invested in them, yet a minor manager may deem them as not good enough!
4 the opposite of no 3 is possible where a player chooses not to enter the dev squad process (or not be selected) yet they are then parachuted into the minor panel by the minor mgmt! So these players get to play minor football having not been involved with the Dev squads!

How do we overcome this?
1 have a minor mgmt to do 5 years and oversee what is going on at dev squads! This maybe unrealistic as 5 year plans rarely work!
2 have 4 sets of mgmt teams who take their teams from u15 through to minor! - again not ideal as that would require a lot of men plus would our present minor mgmt, for example, wish to drop back to u15! I can't see it!
3 have a rule that states ALL county minors MUST have been involved in the Dev Squad structure! Can't see this working as minid managers will want, what they see as their best players on the minor panel! Plus this rule would prevent late developers getting on to a minor panel!
4 we must get the best S&C structure in place and monitor it fully to ensure player participation!
5 don't neglect the skills of Gaelic football as lifting weights won't help a player's 1st touch or ability to kick points!

Sorry about the long rant! Getting players through the dev squad process in to minor is complex! It will need continuous development!

Finally I think the more important issue is turning these minors into seasoned senior footballers VIA the county u21's! Now that's another argument altogether!  ::)

I asked this question a few weeks ago and didn't get an answer, and this is not a personal dig.  What does Chris Collins do? he is employed by Derry Gaa and is on a healthy pay packet. Is he not responsible for the above?  What is his remit / job description?  Who is he responsible to?

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #53653 on: August 25, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »

How do we overcome this?

I asked this question a few weeks ago and didn't get an answer, and this is not a personal dig.  What does Chris Collins do? he is employed by Derry Gaa and is on a healthy pay packet. Is he not responsible for the above?  What is his remit / job description?  Who is he responsible to?

The minors won Ulster and got to the last 4 in the AI series, beaten Id say by the eventual winners. There's 28 Chris Collins equivalents who deserve being drilled more than himself surely? Is he employed by Derry GAA or the Ulster Council?

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53654 on: August 25, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »
My post was suggesting that we need fine tuning and not a major overhaul and that this should be covered behind closed doors at owenbeg, not in the Irish News!

The bigger issue is ensuring the progression of talented minors into the senior squad via the u21! This is the biggest issue facing youth development in the county!

As for Chris Collins role! Of say he is overseeing the youth in the county as Ashleen McCaul seems to be the direct link with clubs nowadays
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:46:57 PM by Benchwarmer »