Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 9497687 times)

toby47

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #53280 on: July 24, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »
Are there a full round of senior league games this week and next with the championship scheduled to start the week after that?

Yes, League games this weekend

1st round senior championship 13-16th August

DennistheMenace

• View Profile
« Reply #53281 on: July 24, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
4 or 5 different tiers within the top division, roughly something like the below.

Top Tier
Ballinderry / Slaightneil

Semi Finalists
Coleraine / Dungiven / Screen

Quarter Finalists contenders
Loup / Rossa / Kilrea / Lavey

Middle Ground
Bellaghy / Glenullin / Banagher

The rest
Swatragh / Foreglen / Glen / Newbridge

WaterBoy

• Now that's what I call high quality H2O
    • View Profile
« Reply #53282 on: July 24, 2015, 02:17:57 PM »
Are there a full round of senior league games this week and next with the championship scheduled to start the week after that?

It's not a full round, this weekend is supposed to be round 13 of the league but Tonight's game, Banagher Vs Swatragh is a Round 8 game meaning whoever these two teams were supposed to play in round 13 do not have a game.  Not sure of the reasoning behind this, due to upcoming Hurling Championship possibly?  Seems strange none the less

CCC notified clubs that next weekend was also to be used for league fixtures but they could take a notion and cancel them at 10.30pm on Saturday night, its only club league after all
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

Donegal Derryman

• View Profile
« Reply #53283 on: July 24, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »
Been reading this forum with interest for a few years now and have been tempted to bite the bullet a few times and join up. Some great posters and posts and some not so good but we all have an opinion I suppose. The big thing that stopped me joing earlier is this unbelieveable apathy towards the county set up from some quarters and the annual delight that follows once failure has been achieved once more. The notion that it's either or and cant be both in relation to club versus county seems ridiculous to me but then again i'm not involved in any clubs in Derry so maybe shouldn't comment on it.

Anyway onto current matters and who replaces Brian McIver. Firstly I wish Brian all the best as from my experiences of him and from opinions of those that know him well he's a great football man and a true gent. Having said all that I'm not devastated to see him step away as the last 3 years have not seen us progress in my eyes. Brian is still highly regarded in Donegal but I suspect more for the qualities mentioned rather than for achievements as manager. From talking to players who played under Brian and who have gone on to win Ulsters and an All Ireland since and who played against Monaghan on Sunday they would have had great respect for the person he was and rate him highly as a coach but not as a ruthless tactician. Mickey Moran is still spoken off on the same terms. This is maybe harsh on 2 men who have delivered and went close to delivering an All Ireland club title but thats the reality.

I haven't seen as much club football in Derry as I would have liked in the last number of years bar the latter stages of the championship and a few league games but i've been at 90% of the county games under the last 4 managers. If you look at those 4 managers and what they achieved or didn't achieve John Brennan, a man considered to be a football dinosaur by many came closest to delivering an Ulster and maybe would have but for horrible luck with injuries and a few dodgey refereeing decisions in the final. Again small margins as Donegal pushed on and we went seriously backwards. The performance against Armagh that year in the Championship is something we haven't came remotely close to repeating since. The only other performance of note in Ulster under these 4 managers with a similar core group of players was under Paddy Crozier in
Ballybofey(even Paddy Bradley stepped up that day :) ). I would have been happy with the appointment of these 4 different types of managers the same as a lot of posters on here but would have been realistic with what they could achieve. I dont think an Ulster till Donegal and Monaghan forged ahead would have been unrealistic. Jim mcGuinness was never seen as the answer in Donegal even with his success at U21 level but changed that opinion in a short enough period of time. Sometimes games can define or shape teams and Donegal's victory over Kildare in that game that went to extra time in the 1st year shaped that team, McGuinness has said that himself. What managers do after that also has a huge bearing and looking at Kevin Cassidy as a hero and leader from that team and the way he was dealt with(rightly or wrongly) shows what the modern managers do. The last 10 years in Derry are littered with examples of where this was not done or was done and back tracked on.

Getting to the point(eventually) Anthony Tohill's name has cropped up quite a bit and I am also of the opinion that he is the only man who could pull it all together. A legend, a winner and a man with some managerial experience even though that was in the Compromise rules. Even Scallywag touches on it, men who take no sh1t but who have earned respect. Lynchboy I think touched on the main issue most under Brian McIver's reign, step forward Paddy Tally, a number 2 never content to be number 2(ask Monsignor Harte as someone called him :). There has to be one man at the top with a strong team backing him up. The top modern managers seem to have an education background as common ground, Eamonn Fitzmaurice, Jim McGuinness, Malachy O'Rourke, Mickey Harte and plenty others I'm sure youse could name so should we be looking at Eamonn Burns and Sean Marty and others of that ilk to get involved in a background team? Who even knows if these guys would be interested but plenty of food for thought. Sorry about the length of the post, it started out as a few lines!

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53284 on: July 24, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »
Been reading this forum with interest for a few years now and have been tempted to bite the bullet a few times and join up. Some great posters and posts and some not so good but we all have an opinion I suppose. The big thing that stopped me joing earlier is this unbelieveable apathy towards the county set up from some quarters and the annual delight that follows once failure has been achieved once more. The notion that it's either or and cant be both in relation to club versus county seems ridiculous to me but then again i'm not involved in any clubs in Derry so maybe shouldn't comment on it.

Anyway onto current matters and who replaces Brian McIver. Firstly I wish Brian all the best as from my experiences of him and from opinions of those that know him well he's a great football man and a true gent. Having said all that I'm not devastated to see him step away as the last 3 years have not seen us progress in my eyes. Brian is still highly regarded in Donegal but I suspect more for the qualities mentioned rather than for achievements as manager. From talking to players who played under Brian and who have gone on to win Ulsters and an All Ireland since and who played against Monaghan on Sunday they would have had great respect for the person he was and rate him highly as a coach but not as a ruthless tactician. Mickey Moran is still spoken off on the same terms. This is maybe harsh on 2 men who have delivered and went close to delivering an All Ireland club title but thats the reality.

I haven't seen as much club football in Derry as I would have liked in the last number of years bar the latter stages of the championship and a few league games but i've been at 90% of the county games under the last 4 managers. If you look at those 4 managers and what they achieved or didn't achieve John Brennan, a man considered to be a football dinosaur by many came closest to delivering an Ulster and maybe would have but for horrible luck with injuries and a few dodgey refereeing decisions in the final. Again small margins as Donegal pushed on and we went seriously backwards. The performance against Armagh that year in the Championship is something we haven't came remotely close to repeating since. The only other performance of note in Ulster under these 4 managers with a similar core group of players was under Paddy Crozier in
Ballybofey(even Paddy Bradley stepped up that day :) ). I would have been happy with the appointment of these 4 different types of managers the same as a lot of posters on here but would have been realistic with what they could achieve. I dont think an Ulster till Donegal and Monaghan forged ahead would have been unrealistic. Jim mcGuinness was never seen as the answer in Donegal even with his success at U21 level but changed that opinion in a short enough period of time. Sometimes games can define or shape teams and Donegal's victory over Kildare in that game that went to extra time in the 1st year shaped that team, McGuinness has said that himself. What managers do after that also has a huge bearing and looking at Kevin Cassidy as a hero and leader from that team and the way he was dealt with(rightly or wrongly) shows what the modern managers do. The last 10 years in Derry are littered with examples of where this was not done or was done and back tracked on.

Getting to the point(eventually) Anthony Tohill's name has cropped up quite a bit and I am also of the opinion that he is the only man who could pull it all together. A legend, a winner and a man with some managerial experience even though that was in the Compromise rules. Even Scallywag touches on it, men who take no sh1t but who have earned respect. Lynchboy I think touched on the main issue most under Brian McIver's reign, step forward Paddy Tally, a number 2 never content to be number 2(ask Monsignor Harte as someone called him :). There has to be one man at the top with a strong team backing him up. The top modern managers seem to have an education background as common ground, Eamonn Fitzmaurice, Jim McGuinness, Malachy O'Rourke, Mickey Harte and plenty others I'm sure youse could name so should we be looking at Eamonn Burns and Sean Marty and others of that ilk to get involved in a background team? Who even knows if these guys would be interested but plenty of food for thought. Sorry about the length of the post, it started out as a few lines!

As much as he may be a good man for the job I can't see Tohill being able to take it with his work commitments. Being CEO of the new Derry City and Strabane Council it doesn't sound like the type of job title that would lend itself well to the post of an Inter County Manager!!

HiMucker

• View Profile
« Reply #53285 on: July 24, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »
Granted it would run the finances tight but to run any successful county side these days takes an awful lot of cash. If the co.board wants to get the right man they'll have to spend the dough.

What way does the format work for the intermediate championship with the 14 teams? Hard to look past Greenlough completing the double.
You don't want to know!  The same as last year.  Somebody on here gave the solution in about 2 mins but they decided to stick with the ridiculous format of last year.  Basically if you lose your first round match you have to win the Tommy Murphy Cup in order to get to the quarter final.

Buzzkill

• View Profile
« Reply #53286 on: July 24, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »

As much as he may be a good man for the job I can't see Tohill being able to take it with his work commitments. Being CEO of the new Derry City and Strabane Council it doesn't sound like the type of job title that would lend itself well to the post of an Inter County Manager!!

I think you mean MidUlster Council exile.........sure he could run the council and take the Derry team from his Magherafelt base  :P :P

Buzzkill

• View Profile
« Reply #53287 on: July 24, 2015, 04:00:04 PM »

Cheers Toby

Donegal Derryman

• View Profile
« Reply #53288 on: July 24, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »

Yeah, a good point on the role he has and probably leaves little time for anything else when he has a a family to think of aswell. It makes what Jim McGuinness achieved in his time in Donegal more remarkable. The question was always asked about how he combined the role with his work with Celtic and his very young family and also building a house. I know Jim mcGuinness to talk to from before his time as Donegal manager and a more single minded individula you would not meet on where he wanted to go with that team and what that would take. He was never the popular person for the job and as we all know was more or less laughed out of the room with his laptop the first time he went for it. His home club of Glenties would not be popular in Donegal football because he and they would have been seen as implementing puke football to the club scene back as far as 2005. The year Glenties got to the Ulster final under Cathal Corey in 2010 he was involved as a joint player/manager at the start of that year but left as he wanted input into substitution and such like even when he was on the field of play. This gives an insight into his mindset, i'm in no way saying this was correct but it shows how vital single mindedness is when you're the man in charge.

Another man in this mould would be Enda Gormley who has displayed a lot of these traits and has had a lot of success with them. Again not hugely popular among some and if the stories are to be believed you probably could forget about seeing any Slaughtneill players getting involved with the county scene. Henry Downey is another who has been mentioned and has that status similar to Anthony Tohill. I believe respect for the manager is key and if the manager hasn't got it or doesn't earn it in a very short period of time then the wheels will come off sooner rather than later. Thats why it's still Anthony Tohill for me over Henry due to that little bit more experience but only if he could fit in a few hours a week as CEO of Derry City and Strabane council :).

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #53289 on: July 24, 2015, 06:57:15 PM »
Anthony Tohill does indeed mostly tick the same boxes re criteria. Big on legendary status and big on organisation structure so yes definitely one well worthy of consideration.

As a non Derry man I will butt out of your debate but will throw in one more name as a man who will get your job done. Banty Mc Eneaney. A players man with a good football brain and will bring in a great backroom team. Got Monaghan from div 4 to div 1. I spoke to him at length last year about the Antrim position and he was very impressive. Make sure he is on your shortlist. Banty is one man who could get the buy in from players clubs and supporters. Pm me if you want more info.

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #53290 on: July 24, 2015, 09:19:13 PM »
Brian O'Driscoll on the obsession of gym work among players:

‘In more recent years I got into it because it was a necessary evil. You have to adapt. You have to get a passion for it, but I don’t just know if that balance is there at the moment.
‘I never loved doing weights the way these young guys do. Their technique is phenomenal but it’s as if they’re winning if they have great scores in the gym. They’re not . . . they’re rugby players.
‘I’m not privy to the English set-up but at the academies in Ireland there is a huge focus on the weights room, as opposed to whether they can throw a 10-metre pass on the run. They should be rugby players becoming athletes, not athletes becoming rugby players.’
It becomes a machismo contest to see who has the highest one-rep maximum on the bench-press or the Olympic squat.
 O’Driscoll believes the obsession is only serving to widen the gulf in class between northern and southern hemisphere teams — with the All Blacks setting the standard. ‘I don’t think the gym monkey thing applies to them as much as it does over here,’ said O’Driscoll. ‘In New Zealand, they focus way more from an early age on skills. They do everything with a ball. They do all their fitness work with a ball and that’s why they have better skill levels. They have the balance; they have that physicality but they are able to mix their game up.’

Is adult club and county Gaelic Football in danger of going the same way?

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #53291 on: July 24, 2015, 10:45:38 PM »
Brian O'Driscoll on the obsession of gym work among players:

‘In more recent years I got into it because it was a necessary evil. You have to adapt. You have to get a passion for it, but I don’t just know if that balance is there at the moment.
‘I never loved doing weights the way these young guys do. Their technique is phenomenal but it’s as if they’re winning if they have great scores in the gym. They’re not . . . they’re rugby players.
‘I’m not privy to the English set-up but at the academies in Ireland there is a huge focus on the weights room, as opposed to whether they can throw a 10-metre pass on the run. They should be rugby players becoming athletes, not athletes becoming rugby players.’
It becomes a machismo contest to see who has the highest one-rep maximum on the bench-press or the Olympic squat.
 O’Driscoll believes the obsession is only serving to widen the gulf in class between northern and southern hemisphere teams — with the All Blacks setting the standard. ‘I don’t think the gym monkey thing applies to them as much as it does over here,’ said O’Driscoll. ‘In New Zealand, they focus way more from an early age on skills. They do everything with a ball. They do all their fitness work with a ball and that’s why they have better skill levels. They have the balance; they have that physicality but they are able to mix their game up.’

Is adult club and county Gaelic Football in danger of going the same way?
Excellent read and I agree

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53292 on: July 25, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »
A good start to the Int c'ship last night as both games were win by the supposed underdogs!
Drumsurn are traditionally a good c'ship side but credit to Trasna who got their first ever c'ship victory at this level! I know drumsurn were missing some key men but I was suprised by the margin of victory!
A good night all round for the city as steelstown beat the holders Dawson in a tight affair! I wouldn't rule Dawson out just yet but they are going to have to play some amount of games via the back door which will make it seriously tricky for them to retain their title!
No one will want Steelstown in the next round and they along with greenlough and craigbane will be the favourites to go on and win the c'ship!

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53293 on: July 25, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »
Some contenders for the job listed by Cahair O'Kane in the Irish News:
Seamus McEnaney: no idea about interest in the job
Seamus Downey: Understood that he is not interested
Liam Bradley: Not interested
Kevin Madden: Sole focus is Dungiven
Gary Coleman: Ruled himself out
Tony Scullion: Didn't rule himself out, but hadn't thought about it
James Horan: Ruled himself out
Enda Gormley: Not interested
Ulster League Champions 2009

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #53294 on: July 25, 2015, 05:33:16 PM »
I get the impression Madden definitely wants the Derry job.