Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 9497630 times)

DennistheMenace

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #53265 on: July 24, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »
Blantantly obvious you're putting the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes in your posts on purpose, no one could be that thick.

Anyway only 4/5 clubs can win Derry this year imo with the likelihood it being one of the top 3. Shame we have the backdoor in place, really takes away from the start of Championship.

Slaughtneil
Ballinderry
Coleraine
Dungiven
Screen

scallywag

• View Profile
« Reply #53266 on: July 24, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »
do you teach dennis???

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #53267 on: July 24, 2015, 11:10:15 AM »
Quick question,

Derry have won 7 ulster championships since 1958 (57 years) and none since 1998, so why do Derry supporters think that we are going to give the championship a good rattle every year?

Do we need to start being more realistic? Instead of blaming managers every season?

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #53268 on: July 24, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »
No

scallywag

• View Profile
« Reply #53269 on: July 24, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
Quick question,

Derry have won 7 ulster championships since 1958 (57 years) and none since 1998, so why do Derry supporters think that we are going to give the championship a good rattle every year?

Do we need to start being more realistic? Instead of blaming managers every season?

at last,someone with a decent point...

no one was asking you stallion....

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53270 on: July 24, 2015, 11:52:41 AM »
Dennis would agree with those 5 teams but would group them

Ballinderry / slaughtneil favourites
Screen / Dungiven genuine contenders though Kevin Johnsons absence could affect Dungiven!

Coleraine and maybe the loup??? with an outside chance

Fitness of key players will be vital for all teams as every one of the teams mentioned above have their men that they can't do without!
Plus the other issue will be the sideline! Which of the teams mentioned have the mgmt team that can create the best gameplan and make the vital switches when required?
These 2 things will be also be critical in determining who wins the c'ship as having the best players "on paper" doesn't guarantee success!

Finally I'm disappointed that with the intermediate c'ship on this weekend u lads seem more interested in indulging the Village Idiot and his wind ups rather than discussing footballing issues

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #53271 on: July 24, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »
Dennis would agree with those 5 teams but would group them

Ballinderry / slaughtneil favourites
Screen / Dungiven genuine contenders though Kevin Johnsons absence could affect Dungiven!

Coleraine and maybe the loup??? with an outside chance

Fitness of key players will be vital for all teams as every one of the teams mentioned above have their men that they can't do without!
Plus the other issue will be the sideline! Which of the teams mentioned have the mgmt team that can create the best gameplan and make the vital switches when required?
These 2 things will be also be critical in determining who wins the c'ship as having the best players "on paper" doesn't guarantee success!

Finally I'm disappointed that with the intermediate c'ship on this weekend u lads seem more interested in indulging the Village Idiot and his wind ups rather than discussing footballing issues

I fancy the winner of the Loup/Magherafelt tie to hit the semi finals. Big local derby for both clubs and a lot of hatred between the two. The winners will the some confidence out of such a victory.

You giving any so called ‘championship teams’ like Bellaghy or Lavey any chance this year?

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53272 on: July 24, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »
Lavey have the potential to go on a run which they do every couple of years and if big O'Boyle is given the right ball could be a handful!! Lavey could be included with the loup and coleraine!

I think bellaghy are definitely a team in transition! Still overly reliant on big fergal! If he's fully fit they could cause an upset or 2 but I feel this bellaghy side of the last few years has lost the c'ship aura! Still a big club and I suspect in a few years they will be challenging again!

Though from what I'm seeing at underage it's Lavey who seem to be building to the future and I suspect they will the kingpins of Derry football in 10-15 years as I think they will bring their players through to senior level better than the lines of maghera / magherafelt!

If glenullin click with their obvious high ptofile players, then they can cause an upset! Can't see them putting a run of victories together!

As for the rest?
Kilrea would pose the biggest danger on paper but their pedigree would suggest a semi final us best they can hope for!

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #53273 on: July 24, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »
The wheels of the boardroom turn much much slower than you think. There is no chance of a manager being appointed prior to or during club championships. Whoever gets it will have to scout next year's Ulster League, the Larkin Cup and Carlin Cup.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53274 on: July 24, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
Lavey have the potential to go on a run which they do every couple of years and if big O'Boyle is given the right ball could be a handful!! Lavey could be included with the loup and coleraine!

I think bellaghy are definitely a team in transition! Still overly reliant on big fergal! If he's fully fit they could cause an upset or 2 but I feel this bellaghy side of the last few years has lost the c'ship aura! Still a big club and I suspect in a few years they will be challenging again!

Though from what I'm seeing at underage it's Lavey who seem to be building to the future and I suspect they will the kingpins of Derry football in 10-15 years as I think they will bring their players through to senior level better than the lines of maghera / magherafelt!

If glenullin click with their obvious high ptofile players, then they can cause an upset! Can't see them putting a run of victories together!

As for the rest?
Kilrea would pose the biggest danger on paper but their pedigree would suggest a semi final us best they can hope for!

Remind us what club you are from Benchwarmer?

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #53275 on: July 24, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »
A few interesting discussions regarding a new manager. Struggling to think of a standout within the county with the possible exception of Anthony Tohill. Has legendary status with the county which would hopefully coax players to buy in and his experiences with the international rules team would stand him in good stead.

Outside of that its looking ever more likely that an outside man is the only option. Would have to be somebody who's recently retired or managed in the modern game. Here's a few of the people I've came up with: (On Availabilty)

Jim McGuinness - I wish!!

Aidan O'Rourke - Had a difficult task in taking a poor Louth team but in his application for the Antrim job he outlined a clear plan and vision with regards to training structures and how best to ensure successful county minor teams make an impact on the senior team. Antrim were crazy to turn him down IMO.

Tony McEntee & Gareth O'Neill - What they done with Cross was exceptional, took them on another level. In hindsight nearly should have got the Down job.

James McCartan - Knows the Ulster championship brave and well from his time in charge of Down. Took a team with the same sort of players/potential as ourselves to an AI Final.

Stevie McDonnell - Not long out of the game as a player. Has a bit of inter county experience with Armagh U21s. Would be up to date with the modern way of thinking and a big name which would hopefully encourage players to buy in.

Kevin McStay - Done a great job with that St. Brigid's team. His application for the Mayo post shows he wants into the intercounty game and I would be happy to let him use us as a stepping stone to that job.

James Horan - See Jim McGuinness.

Seamus McEnaney - Plenty of experience in county management.

Just a few suggestions I came up with, don't know what you think of them. Would love somebody to come and really shake the thing up. Someone who can get players to commit 100% and ensure the best footballers in Derry are on the panel.

Ideally you'd like an appointment made prior to the club championship so the manager can get a proper look at players. With the start of the championship looming it's hard to imagine that coming to pass.

Very interesting but almost almost of those names you can forget about because of the finances. Mcstay reportedly didnt get the mayo job because he was looking for a small fortune and was very miffed because he thought he was a shoe in for it.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #53276 on: July 24, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »

As for the rest?

Ballinderry and Slaughtneil both obvious favourites for me. Balliderry edge it because of the hunger they will have after last year, if they can get over screen without their suspended men I think they will be nailed on to lift John McLaughlin.

Colerainne are a team I always have high hopes for come championship but were very disappointing last year against Ballinderry, and after a poor enough league i'm not as optimistic.

Screen are a team I think could come good again after their shock exit in the first round last year, big point to prove and excellent league form.

Dungiven, I had big hopes for them earlier in the year, fading a wee bit with recent injuries, however I think they are in the chasing pack along with Lavey and Screen who could cause a shock to the big 2.

Lavey are always good for a shock, and as you say with big O'Boyle they have one of the best club footballers in Derry.

kilrea blew there big chance a few years back, cant see them coming back with the same force. Lee Kennedy is a massive miss and kilrea need him if they want to do well.

Glenullin, Paddy Bradley in the states and Gerard O'kane having played little league football i'm ruling them out of the running.

Loup, cant see where they will get there scores from to beat the bigger teams? but if they beat their rivals Magherafelt in the first game will maybe get a run to the later stages

Magherafelt, well their certain to hit a quarter final?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:31:41 PM by toby47 »

Benchwarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #53277 on: July 24, 2015, 01:29:28 PM »
Walter
I'm from limavady
We are having a nightmare year :(

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53278 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
A few interesting discussions regarding a new manager. Struggling to think of a standout within the county with the possible exception of Anthony Tohill. Has legendary status with the county which would hopefully coax players to buy in and his experiences with the international rules team would stand him in good stead.

Outside of that its looking ever more likely that an outside man is the only option. Would have to be somebody who's recently retired or managed in the modern game. Here's a few of the people I've came up with: (On Availabilty)

Jim McGuinness - I wish!!

Aidan O'Rourke - Had a difficult task in taking a poor Louth team but in his application for the Antrim job he outlined a clear plan and vision with regards to training structures and how best to ensure successful county minor teams make an impact on the senior team. Antrim were crazy to turn him down IMO.

Tony McEntee & Gareth O'Neill - What they done with Cross was exceptional, took them on another level. In hindsight nearly should have got the Down job.

James McCartan - Knows the Ulster championship brave and well from his time in charge of Down. Took a team with the same sort of players/potential as ourselves to an AI Final.

Stevie McDonnell - Not long out of the game as a player. Has a bit of inter county experience with Armagh U21s. Would be up to date with the modern way of thinking and a big name which would hopefully encourage players to buy in.

Kevin McStay - Done a great job with that St. Brigid's team. His application for the Mayo post shows he wants into the intercounty game and I would be happy to let him use us as a stepping stone to that job.

James Horan - See Jim McGuinness.

Seamus McEnaney - Plenty of experience in county management.

Just a few suggestions I came up with, don't know what you think of them. Would love somebody to come and really shake the thing up. Someone who can get players to commit 100% and ensure the best footballers in Derry are on the panel.

Ideally you'd like an appointment made prior to the club championship so the manager can get a proper look at players. With the start of the championship looming it's hard to imagine that coming to pass.

Very interesting but almost almost of those names you can forget about because of the finances. Mcstay reportedly didnt get the mayo job because he was looking for a small fortune and was very miffed because he thought he was a shoe in for it.

Would there not be money for the right man to take the Derry job??

Buzzkill

• View Profile
« Reply #53279 on: July 24, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
Are there a full round of senior league games this week and next with the championship scheduled to start the week after that?