Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 9491349 times)

JohnDenver

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #53220 on: July 22, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Brian Mullins. Get him a holiday home in Slaughtmanus.

Case closed.

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #53221 on: July 22, 2015, 05:01:15 PM »
a joe kernan/martin mckindless team would be great...two men who take no shit and are cure enough for the job...derry need men with balls and these two boys have what it takes,clear out the dead wood and would get the right men till come out and play...
How much Will your county beat Sligo by wag. And whenever they're beaten this year will you be backing the voices who will want to get rid of monsignor Harte?

scallywag

• View Profile
« Reply #53222 on: July 22, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »
How much Will your county beat Sligo by wag. And whenever they're beaten this year will you be backing the voices who will want to get rid of monsignor Harte?

im no tyrone diehard,wouldnt care if there beat by 10...

but id say they will beat sligo...lets be honest about it lads,if your county team cant beat the likes of galway,sligo,roscommon,kildare etc...then your at the lower end of the food chain...i said in one off my post that derry would prob get it tight till get into a top 16 if it was a ranking system.

tyrone should beat sligo then come unstuck when they meet a team in the top 5-6 bracket.

as for harte,he will make his mind up as when till call it a day...lets be honest,if he threw his name forward for the derry job who on here could say they wouldnt want him.

but hes not that stupid...

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #53223 on: July 22, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
Let's hear from all those who claim that there are players, either on the subs, once part of the panel or not yet on the panel who merit a championship starting spot.....and don't include our long-term injuries.
List the names, positions and give reasons why.
I can think of none.

Real Talk

• View Profile
« Reply #53224 on: July 22, 2015, 11:18:19 PM »
Let's hear from all those who claim that there are players, either on the subs, once part of the panel or not yet on the panel who merit a championship starting spot.....and don't include our long-term injuries.
List the names, positions and give reasons why.
I can think of none.

That's it ..... the cold hard facts of life

Having spoken to some of the panel i think they were happy to work with McIvor but not with Tally ... !!!!!!

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53225 on: July 22, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »
Brian Mullins. Get him a holiday home in Slaughtmanus.

Case closed.

An oul Caravan on the High Moor Road would be an ideal spot. The caravan would probably end up on bricks, with the wheels stem, before the weekend was out.

As the oul saying goes; a weekend in Slaughtmanus is the equivalent to a month in Syria.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #53226 on: July 22, 2015, 11:52:21 PM »
Henry Downey no lazy analysis Shawshank. Far from it. I'm basing it on three things. 1. As a businessman he will build in a great backroom team and delegate accordingly to ensure there are people built in who are top notch. He won't make it all about him. 2. He has the respect of the county for obvious reasons. 3. He was highly involved with John Brennan and Jude Donnelly in taking a very middling Lavey team to within an inch (or a minute) of a county title three years ago. I believe he is the man who can pull your county back together.

Forget about what he has done as a manager. Look what he has achieved in other aspects of sporting and business career. He gets things done.

Is that not obvious enough. With Mickey Moran as his coach if he could entice him. Or is there a problem with Mickey ability too?

the half-time show

• View Profile
« Reply #53227 on: July 23, 2015, 09:02:11 AM »
Henry Downey no lazy analysis Shawshank. Far from it. I'm basing it on three things. 1. As a businessman he will build in a great backroom team and delegate accordingly to ensure there are people built in who are top notch. He won't make it all about him. 2. He has the respect of the county for obvious reasons. 3. He was highly involved with John Brennan and Jude Donnelly in taking a very middling Lavey team to within an inch (or a minute) of a county title three years ago. I believe he is the man who can pull your county back together.

Forget about what he has done as a manager. Look what he has achieved in other aspects of sporting and business career. He gets things done.

Is that not obvious enough. With Mickey Moran as his coach if he could entice him. Or is there a problem with Mickey ability too?
I wouldn't have any problem with Henry Downey personally (in fact I'd love to have him involved, as you say he has earned a lot of respect throughout the county) but to simply "forget about what he has done as a manager" is incredibly naive.  With modern systems and tactics as they are, it would be stupid to take a man on purely due to his success as a player and business man (how is this even relevant?).

Also, Lavey haven't even made a county final in almost 20 years so I'm not sure how they were within "an inch (or a minute) of a county title".

Derry's primary problem is that clubs take huge priority over the county set up, particularly in the minds of our players.  Within successful counties, every man in the panel has bought in fully to the idea of the team and will do whatever it takes to be successful and can put personal issues / club rivalries aside; I don't believe this is the case in Derry which means any manager stepping in to the role is fighting a losing battle right from the start.  Until we are able to get past this, Derry will continue to underachieve

DennistheMenace

• View Profile
« Reply #53228 on: July 23, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »
Catch 22, players apathy towards the county squad will continue until the county is successful.

As for this talk of players not being there this year, well the only player who would have strengthen the starting 15 is probably Bell and McKindless. You'd think we had a whole pool of players who were good enough to play but don't but this simply isn't the case. McIvor got largely the best panel of players out for Derry.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #53229 on: July 23, 2015, 09:17:58 AM »
How many players on this years panel would have started on the 93' team?

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #53230 on: July 23, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
Point one. If Henry was manager his job would be to manage. The coach would agree with the manager which systems suit panel best and would have some kind of track record of instigating same. Is that hard to comprehend as a principle.

Point 2. Lavey were within a few seconds of beating Ballinderry a few years ago in Greenlough in a semi final. No guarantee I suppose they would have won the final but would have been strong favourites with that performance.

Managing is about getting the best team in place on and off the field. I would be confident Downey has the credentials to deliver that.

Finally, with all this in place there are still no guarantees with the club first mentality. But it will take a strong leader to attempt to break this down. That's where Henry would be in pole position.

Finally this is just one man's opinion. I don't know Henry any more than to nod to and couldn't even tell you if he would be interested. As someone says you come heralded in as the new messiah and leave with your tail between your legs nine times out of ten anyway. And no matter who is recommended you can bet 50% will be in disagreement. So what other outstanding candidates are there to publicly dissect their credentials.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:51:23 AM by bannside »

DennistheMenace

• View Profile
« Reply #53231 on: July 23, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »
How many players on this years panel would have started on the 93' team?

It's a completely different game now though, probably only Skinner on talent alone.

TheOptimist

• Stay til the end
    • View Profile
« Reply #53232 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »

I wouldn't have any problem with Henry Downey personally (in fact I'd love to have him involved, as you say he has earned a lot of respect throughout the county) but to simply "forget about what he has done as a manager" is incredibly naive.  With modern systems and tactics as they are, it would be stupid to take a man on purely due to his success as a player and business man (how is this even relevant?).

Also, Lavey haven't even made a county final in almost 20 years so I'm not sure how they were within "an inch (or a minute) of a county title".

Derry's primary problem is that clubs take huge priority over the county set up, particularly in the minds of our players.  Within successful counties, every man in the panel has bought in fully to the idea of the team and will do whatever it takes to be successful and can put personal issues / club rivalries aside; I don't believe this is the case in Derry which means any manager stepping in to the role is fighting a losing battle right from the start.  Until we are able to get past this, Derry will continue to underachieve

In fairness it worked for Dublin and Pat Gilroy.

the half-time show

• View Profile
« Reply #53233 on: July 23, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
Point one. If Henry was manager his job would be to manage. The coach would decide and instigate the "systems". Is that hard to comprehend as a principle.
I have only addressed your first point as I think we are in agreement regarding the rest of your post.  What I struggle to comprehend is what role Downey would actually play in your scenario?  Does he simply go round the clubs getting the best players out & then pass them on to his team of coaches & background staff to decide what system is going to be implemented?

Perhaps I am a bit out of touch but I would expect the manager to take charge of all of these points, something that I don't believe Henry is suited to.  A major criticism aimed at the previous set up was that Paddy Tally took charge in too many areas that should have been McIver's domain.  We need someone who is going to take responsibility right across the board

DennistheMenace

• View Profile
« Reply #53234 on: July 23, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
Dougal could manage Dublin and they would still be successful.