James Ryall joins Derek Lyng and hangs them up.

Started by orangeman, December 01, 2010, 08:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

He has indeed had a good innings and will be busy polishing all these.

Strong player who never gave an inch. Wonder what pushed him to bow out now ? I thought he might have given it one more go in 2011.

Kilkenny midfielder Derek Lyng has called time on his inter-county career after nine years with the Cats.Lyng (32) has won six All-Ireland titles with Kilkenny, while also picking up four League title, nine Leinster titles and two All Star awards during his illustrious career.

Lyng, who will continue with his club the Emeralds (Urlingford), joined the senior Kilkenny squad in 2001.

He said: 'There is never an ideal time to do something like this, but the time is right for me now. I had a great innings. I played with and against some of the greatest hurlers who ever lived and I picked up a few honours along the way.'

Lyng continued: 'Playing with Kilkenny always meant a huge amount to me. I always had massive pride in it and I never took anything for granted. If you relaxed, someone would have overtaken you and you would be gone.

'I loved everything about it, the training, the camaraderie, the atmosphere of the big match. I found playing for your county in a full Croke Park to be inspiring.'

theskull1

The type of county player we all admire. Got everything he wanted from his experience representing his county.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Declan

QuoteI picked up a few honours along the way.'

An understatememnt if ever I heard one - Best of luck to him

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Declan on December 02, 2010, 05:33:38 PM
QuoteI picked up a few honours along the way.'

An understatememnt if ever I heard one - Best of luck to him
He got a nice armchair ride all right!

orangeman

I really, really admired Ryall. Whilst never spectacular, he gaveall he had every day he went out. What I admired most about him was that he was absolutely fearless.

Kilkenny's James Ryall has announced his decision to retire from inter-county hurling.
The Graigue-Ballycallan defender, aged 30, has a haul of six All-Ireland medals, seven Leinster and four National League titles.

Injuries in recent years have curtailed Ryall's involvement with the Cats, with the 2006 All-Ireland win over Cork a personal highlight for the player.

Speaking to the Irish Examiner, the player said: 'It was the memory that stands out because we were underdogs going into the game and when you're not fancied it gives you the greatest satisfaction when you win it. To have played in that final was a real highlight.

Ash Smoker

Ryall has exited the stage with a bit more dignity than Sean Og O'H.
6 All Ireland medals is a nice haul.

I didn't rate him that highly early doors. In his first two All Ireland finals against Cork he looked a weak link in the Kilkenny defence. Santy gave him a going over in 2003 and in the following year's All Ireland he wasn't great.
I remember it more because I was sitting beside a nutter from Kilkenny who spent the whole match giving him dog's abuse.
He settled in and was dependable after that. He kept his head down and let his hurling do the talking.

bottlethrower7

Ryall is a true hurling hero in my view. A man with limited enough ability, but more than compensated for this with his fearlessness and his drive. Attributes that Brian Cody rates very highly in any player.

My favourite memory of Ryall is from an obscure enough game. On easter sunday 2002, Tipp and Kilkenny played in a game, the winners of which got a free holiday to Spain (Kilkenny won but never got the time to go on the holiday as far as I know). Anyway, Ryall lined out at midfield, facing a former clubmate, none other than the great Denis Byrne. To say he tore strips off him would be an understatement. It was a great performance by Ryall, and spurred Kilkenny on to beat Tipp comfortably.

Ryall retired a few years back, stating problems with his ankles that left him in a lot of pain after intense games and training. Cody talked him into staying on, a decision that was vindicated by Ryall's performance against Cork in the all-Ireland semi-final this year. A lot of us though he'd get the nod for the all-Ireland final, and in hindsight, its a shame that didn't happen.

Best of luck to him.

theskull1

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on December 23, 2010, 09:48:17 AM
Ryall is a true hurling hero in my view. A man with limited enough ability, but more than compensated for this with his fearlessness and his drive. Attributes that Brian Cody rates very highly in any player.

Think thats a very apt statement about this type of hurler bt7. The ones with the slinky skills always standout but the Ryalls of this world keep an honesty and integrity of effort in team preparations. I'd say he was invaluable at a very subconcious level. Our club has a James Ryall type who has been unfortunate to miss outmore than his fair share of places on the starting 15 come championship, but I know years years he was the one setting the right level of intensity at training.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera