McGeeney patronizes Tyrone

Started by Mike Sheehy, November 21, 2010, 07:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Kerry and Tyrone the greatest, McGeeney says
19 November 2010

Kieran McGeeney believes the Kerry and Tyrone teams of the past decade were the greatest of any era.

Speaking ahead of retired Kildare star Anthony Rainbow's farewell game tomorrow in Newbridge, the Kildare manager argues that Kerry's four and Tyrone's three All-Irelands in seven years equates to more than others have achieved.

"You take someone like Darragh O Se, who has won six All-Irelands, some of the other Kerry players have won five. That's some achievement," Armagh's 2002 All-Ireland winning captain said.

"I know these things are hard to measure against each other. And I'd also say that if the players of the past had the same opportunities as they players of today, they'd be just as good. That goes without saying."

He continued: "There is too much focus on what is wrong with Gaelic football, particularly from past players. I wouldn't accept the argument that Gaelic football skills are in decline.

"I feel Kerry and Tyrone have played to the highest standards, but too few are willing to give them credit for that."

BennyHarp

That's really interesting - especially as it's been discussed in at least two other threads. Keep up!
That was never a square ball!!

Mike Sheehy

You're just making that up. I don't see discussion of McGeeney patronizing Tyrone anywhere.

ziggysego

No-one biting? You're losing your touch there old boy.
Testing Accessibility

BallyhaiseMan

McGeeney is 100% correct.
This present Tyrone grouping from 2003-2010,were one of the greatest teams of all time.
They combined a terrific work-rate and fitness level,with an outstanding skill level.
In a time where the standard of the kick passing in Gaelic Football has declined a great deal, thisTyrone team over the past decade have been one of the finest kick passers,the game have seen.
Add to that the outstanding ball carrying ability of the likes of Philip Jordan,Cavanagh,Dooher and co
The finishing ability of their forwards and their tight marking defensive unit.
Well you get an all-round fantastic team.
Knowing all this,keeps Mikey up at night!!!!

Mike Sheehy

You can tell by the way McGeeney mentioned only Darragh O'Se that he was having a subtle dig at Tyrone. None of their players were worth mentioning in the same breath as Darragh.

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 22, 2010, 07:25:15 PM
You can tell by the way McGeeney mentioned only Darragh O'Se that he was having a subtle dig at Tyrone. None of their players were worth mentioning in the same breath as Darragh.

So that would be the opposite of patronising no?

Aaron Boone

Looking forward to battles recommencing in this decade.

armagho9

Lads he was building both teams up as being some of the greatest teams ever for the simple reason that he can say he was on a team that beat both, and that if the two counties were not so great at the time Armagh could have won about 5 or 6 in a row

armaghniac

We, Irish, spell it patronise, so perhaps you had better use proper spelling when trying to wind us up. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

But you and me aren't Irish, we're 'Brits' ... I wouldn't be too harsh on him, I wasn't a great speller either when I was four

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: armaghniac on November 22, 2010, 07:55:30 PM
We, Irish, spell it patronise, so perhaps you had better use proper spelling when trying to wind us up.

I will bow to your superior knowledge of the Queens english but, in fairness, you would have an obvious advantage there

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: tyssam5 on November 22, 2010, 07:34:19 PM

Both.He is patronising ye as well as getting a dig in. Fairly impressive really, didnt think he had it in him  considering he would not have been known as the most subtle of players.

Gaffer

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 23, 2010, 05:59:01 AM
Quote from: tyssam5 on November 22, 2010, 07:34:19 PM

Both.He is patronising ye as well as getting a dig in. Fairly impressive really, didnt think he had it in him  considering he would not have been known as the most subtle of players.

Written at 05:59am.  :D :D :D

03, 05 and 08 are STILL giving Sheehy sleepless nights . Class !!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

isourboydownyet

mike is sounding suspiciously like jack o'connor,is that you jack?