NI Soccer Team and God Save The Queen

Started by Applesisapples, November 18, 2010, 02:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Switched over last night from Sky Sports 1 to 2 to check if Morocco had scored. The "National Anthem" was playing--- God Save the Queen. Paddy McCourt and the other taigs looked so embarrassed heads down staring at the ground whilst the NI guys belted her out with gusto. So much for inclusivity from the IFA. No wonder Darren Gibson, Marc Wilson et al would prefer 1 cap for Ireland to 100 from Norn Iron. Really illustrates were we are at inclusivity but only on unionist terms!

Gabriel_Hurl

NAG1

Aye well the rugby men blinked first and expected the Norn Iron idiots to follow suit makes them look even more stupid for selling out their anthem.

DirtyDozen12

Im past caring about international football to be honest.

To me it looks as if the players dont really care any more either.  International football will never be as good as pre 1998 for me.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

crossdoesitbest

Norn iron hardly even managed to get 11 players out there last nite!! The soccer leagues in the north and south are so bad at the minute, their international teams will not be able to compete seriously for much longer and getting to big tournaments is a thing of the past for both of them!!! :(

nrico2006

Was there more from the Catholic community starting for Norn Iron last night than the other side?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: crossdoesitbest on November 18, 2010, 03:06:35 PM
Norn iron hardly even managed to get 11 players out there last nite!! The soccer leagues in the north and south are so bad at the minute, their international teams will not be able to compete seriously for much longer and getting to big tournaments is a thing of the past for both of them!!! :(

The local leagues are almost entirely irrelevant to the fortunes of the international sides.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

gallsman

Not really any more cringeworthy than watching the likes of Kevin Kilbane or Jason McAteer look lost any time Amhrán na bhFiann was playing.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: gallsman on November 18, 2010, 03:27:41 PM
Not really any more cringeworthy than watching the likes of Kevin Kilbane or Jason McAteer look lost any time Amhrán na bhFiann was playing.

LOL, great point.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Clown

u mustn't watch the republic much, Kilbane sings it proudly before every game and has done for years

thebigfella

Quote from: Clown on November 18, 2010, 03:34:15 PM
u mustn't watch the republic much, Kilbane sings it proudly before every game and has done for years

And that's better how?

5 Sams

Speaking of cringeworthy .........THIS is cringeworthy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc
The Aristocrat Years

Clown

Quote from: thebigfella on November 18, 2010, 03:37:10 PM
Quote from: Clown on November 18, 2010, 03:34:15 PM

And that's better how?

not saying anythings better, just that gallsman's point that Kilbane looks lost when the anthem is being played is pure bullshit

lynchbhoy

what a crap comment gallsman.
kilbane was raised as an Irish man from what I recall reading years ago. His folks always told him he was Irish despite being born and schooled in England.
but too many folk think hes jumping on a bandwagon or he's a plastic paddy etc.
never liked that kind of crass belittling of Irish people born abroad.

Applesisapples

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 18, 2010, 04:02:22 PM
what a crap comment gallsman.
kilbane was raised as an Irish man from what I recall reading years ago. His folks always told him he was Irish despite being born and schooled in England.
but too many folk think hes jumping on a bandwagon or he's a plastic paddy etc.
never liked that kind of crass belittling of Irish people born abroad.
Hear Hear!! The point I was making was about inclusivity and emblems...We keep getting told about the new shiny NI... But it is the same as the old one except now Nationalists are happily accepting assimilation.