Sigerson Team of the century

Started by Donegal Danny, November 17, 2010, 02:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: orange2009 on November 19, 2010, 10:31:20 AM
Quote from: deargdoom on November 19, 2010, 12:54:00 AM
Quote from: Ulick on November 19, 2010, 12:21:38 AM
No Marsden?

mmm apparantly captaining a winning side doesn't count, yet Paddy Mo's shortlisted for a Sigerson Team of the century without actually owning a Sigerson medal?!? Something tells me it's based more on name and reputation

Am I not right in saying that Paddy Mo in his time was considered worthy of an All-Star based on Sigerson performances alone in around 74? 

Now way before my time but that surely must indicate the type of Sigerson player he was

As was Anthony McGurk.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Apple Crumble

No Jim McGuinness , Enda McNulty, McCarten, Tohill, Cormac McAnallen (r.i.p.), Ciaran McManus

Complete farce & we all knew it was going to be.

Basically its a list of famous GAA men who went to uni picked by old men looking thorough pen picks of old gameday programmes.

FermGael

What about Mick Brewster (Paul and Tom's Father)??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

jodyb

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 18, 2010, 12:13:33 PM

You could be right there ss. My memory was of him not playing  the year he had the trials with united - 92 i think - when they were beaten in the final in galway. could be wrong though.

Nice to be caled a fool though...
Tohill had his united trial in 95, not 92

redcard

cant believe Liam Sweeney isnt on the sigersons team of the century. unbelievable.

ck

Interesting thread. Whilst I completely share the amazement that Tohill was ommitted... why do people insist on mentioning players who most of us never even heard of and never even won a Sigerson. I mean, Justin and Enda McNulty? Justin never even won a Sigerson. Enda won one after about 10 years at college. I wouldnt be throwing out awards to people who flunked their exams just to continue some pipe dream of playing football.

As for the biased Tommy Joe. If the 15 players selected were UUJ players, Tommy Joe would still be complaining. I have never met the man but his reputation proceeds him.

laoisgaa

Ah there's a reason why I got comment from Tommy Joe on the nominations. I wasn't happy with them either myself to be honest and I knew he wouldn't be. It's not the point that there's only a few UUJ players - the point is more that for these type of selections you'd expect more of a recent vintage to be nominated. Just two players from the last ten years or so - it doesn't make sense.

ck

Quote from: laoisgaa on December 23, 2010, 12:22:21 PM
Ah there's a reason why I got comment from Tommy Joe on the nominations. I wasn't happy with them either myself to be honest and I knew he wouldn't be. It's not the point that there's only a few UUJ players - the point is more that for these type of selections you'd expect more of a recent vintage to be nominated. Just two players from the last ten years or so - it doesn't make sense.

Yes Laoisgaa I see where you are coming from however they clearly went for people who were successful in Sigerson and also backed it up with a solid county career. The recent lads are still getting there in that respect.
Some of the best players I ever played with were at Sigerson level, but they didnt make it at county level for one reason or another. Many opt for professional careers etc.

laoisgaa

I can think of plenty of Sigerson winners over the last ten years who have MADE it at inter-county level. But this selection is not supposed to be THE SIGERSON PLAYERS WHO MADE IT AT INTER COUNTY TEAM OF THE CENTURY. It's a Sigerson team of the century and should reflect as such.

whiskeysteve

Never understood the appeal of the sigerson. Like a preseason warmup to club and county
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ck

Quote from: whiskeysteve on December 23, 2010, 07:53:17 PM
Never understood the appeal of the sigerson. Like a preseason warmup to club and county

@ Whiskeysteve: Most people who didnt go to college don't "get" Sigerson. Ask any college player who played in it and see if they "get" it!

@ Laoisgaa: So what was the criteria for selection? Based on the players selected I would assume that their county profile would have aided their selection? The fact is that none of us know what criteria was used... so you and Tommy Joe can complain and I believe you have a case but perhaps the selection committee had a "profile" agenda to adhere to?
...but no matter what criteria was used, it beggers belief how Anthony Tohill was overlooked. The only explanation I can think of is that he didnt bother playing for Queen's in his final year.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: ck on December 23, 2010, 10:50:55 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on December 23, 2010, 07:53:17 PM

@ Whiskeysteve: Most people who didnt go to college don't "get" Sigerson. Ask any college player who played in it and see if they "get" it!

aye fair enough. can only speak for myself and i was never near that standard! what i meant to say was i never understood the appeal to students not involved in it.

no offence to the players i knew who may read this but i never cared how Queens did while i was there so long as the derry fellas were in good form to bring it on to the county games!

supporting your uni team beyond it being based on support for fellow county men just didnt make sense to me, though in saying that i was happy to see derry men win sigersons.

id still maintain the importance of your club and countys seasons are light years ahead! sigerson is very old news by July!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Donnellys Hollow

From my very hazy memory of them, Sigerson weekends were absolutely mighty craic!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heganboy

being at QUB in that vintage, cant believe McGrane and Brew made it but not Tohill and wee James. Wee james and the boot coming off in Belfast that day- and kissing the badge on the way round the field after being sent off!

Marsden was an exceptional player on those Sigerson panels, but somehow I don't remember that he got that one run of big games in any one year that would have catapulted him up that list. There were a few others on that list too...

McGeeney, Tohill, Brewster, Cathal O Rourke and wee James were all in the same engineering class- reasonably gifted group :-)

I remember McGeeney was eligible to play for UU during his post grad but "politely declined"

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

put-it-up-again

Lads, just seen its the last day to submit your entry for the Sigerson Team of the century if any of you are interested in doing it. Hard enough team to pick!

www.he.gaa.ie is where the on-line form is for entering..