Sigerson Team of the century

Started by Donegal Danny, November 17, 2010, 02:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donegal Danny

Here is the short list for the Sigerson team of the century. Just thought it a bit strange that none of the Tralee I.T. teams from the late 90s  have made the short list except for Seamus Moynahin who is probably selected for his days in U.C.C. Does anyone think the selection committee is being a bit snobish rergarding the new colleges and I.T's. Also i hope the team is picked on their performances in the Sigerson cup and not their overall football career because if so it is wrong. It could turn out to be a balls like the St Jarlaths Team which was picked a few years ago which made a couple of disatrous decisions and turned the whole thing into a farse.

Sigerson Team of the Century shortlist revealed
17 November 2010

The GAA's Higher Education Authority has released a list of 60 nominees for the Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Team of the Century.

The announcement of the team will coincide with the centenary celebrations of the famous third level football competition in 2011. The list of nominations is a veritable "who's who" of Gaelic football with UCD heading the list with 22 players.

However, the nominations have been criticised for being overloaded with players from the past, with Galway's Michael Meehan, Dublin's Bryan Cullen and Paul Finlay of Monaghan being the only current only inter-county players to make the shortlist.

Sigerson Cup Team of the Century nominations

Goalkeepers: Johnny Geraghty, UCG/Galway 1 medal in '62/63; Jimmy McGauran, UCG Roscommon/Galway 5 medals as goalie '36-40; Billy Morgan, UCC/Cork 2 medals, '65-67; Mick O'Gorman, UCD/Monaghan 5 medals as goalie '28-32, one as captain.

Defenders: Denis Bernard, UCC/Cork 2 medals '50-53; Eugene Callinan, UCC Tipperary/Cork 3 medals; '18-28; Mick Carty, UCD/Wexford 4 medals '73-78; Enda Colleran, UCG/Galway 2 medals, '61-66; Bryan Cullen, DCU/Dublin 2 medals '05-10; Jack Culleton, UCD/Wexford 2 medals, one as Captain '44-45; Sean Óg de Paor, UCG/Galway 1 medal as captain in '91-92; Eddie Devlin, UCD/Tyrone 5 combined universities '51-57; Seán Flanagan, UCD/Mayo 1 medal as captain in '45-46; Hugh Gibbons, UCG/Roscommon 4 medals, '36-40; Séamus McHugh, UCG/Galway 2 medals, '79-82; DJ Kane, UUJ/Down 2 medals, one as Captain '86-87; Henry Kenny, UCG /Mayo 4 medals, '37-41; Seán Marty Lockhart, UUJ/Derry Stalwart of UUJ through the '90s; Páudí Lynch, UCC/Kerry 1 medal '70-71; Kieran McGeeney, QUB/Armagh 1 medal in '92-93; Mick Morris, UCC/Kerry 3 medals '65-69; Séamus Moynihan, UCC/ITT/Kerry 3 medals, 2 with UCC and 1 with ITT; Seán Murphy, UCD/Kerry 3 medals, '54-59; Martin Newell, UCG/Galway 2 medals, '60-64; Pat O'Neill, UCD/Dublin 3 medals in '70s; Mick Raftery, UCG Mayo/Galway 8 medals '33-41; Tony Regan, UCG Roscommon/Galway 4 CU's '72-77; Joe Salmon, UCG Mayo/Galway 6 medals '36-41.

Midfielders: Paul Brewster, QUB/Fermanagh 1 medal '91-94; Pádraig Carney, UCD/Mayo 3 medals '45- 50; PJ Duke, UCD/Cavan 3 medals, '45-50; Paddy Henry, Maynooth/Sligo 1 medal in '75/76; Jim McDonnell, UCD/Cavan 3 medals, ever present in the '50s for UCD; Jim McGrane, QUB/Armagh 2 medal in '92-93; Eugene McKenna, QUB/Tyrone A Queens stalwart through the '70's; John O'Keeffe, UCD/Kerry 3 medals between '0-75.

Forwards: Greg Blaney, QUB/Down 1 medal between '81-85; Frank Bourke, UCD/Kildare and Dublin 3 medals, '16-20; James Brady, UCD/Cavan 4 medals '55-60; Jim Brosnan, UCC/Kerry 2 medals in '50s; Peter Canavan, St Mary's/Tyrone; Ray Cummins, UCC/Cork 2 medals '68-70; Trevor Giles, UCD/Meath 1 medal, '95-96; Paul Finlay, IT Sligo/Monaghan 2 medals '01-04; Anthony Finnerty, UCG/UCD Mayo 4 medals '81-96; Eamonn Fitzgerald, UCC/Kerry 4 medals '26-30; Maurice Fitzgerald, UCC/Kerry 1 medal, 87-90; Joe Kearney, UCC/Cork 3 medals, '18-25; Donal Keenan, UCD/Roscommon 2 medals '40/41 - '46/47; Kevin Kilmurray, UCD/Offaly 2 medals, '72-75; Seán Lavan, UCD/Mayo 3 medals '22-29; Brendan Lynch, UCC/Kerry 3 medals, '68-72; Tony McManus, UCD/Roscommon 3 medals, '77-80; Michael Meehan, UCG/Galway 1 medal, man of the match in '02/03 final; Denis "Ogie" Moran, UCD/Kerry 2 medals - '74-77; Paddy Moriarty, QUB/Armagh Sigerson stalwart for Queen's in the '70s; Seán O'Neill, QUB/Down 2 medals, '58/59 and '64/65; Colm O'Rourke, UCD/Meath 1 medal, '75-79; Paudie Sheehy, UCC/Kerry 2 medals, '50-53, captain in '53; Jackie Walsh, UCD/Kerry 4 medals in the 70s.

©2010 Lynn Publications

mountainboii

Quote from: Donegal Danny on November 17, 2010, 02:26:35 PM
Eugene Callinan, UCC Tipperary/Cork 3 medals; '18-28

Jim McGuinness has a rival.

Tubberman

Quote from: AFS on November 17, 2010, 02:34:33 PM
Quote from: Donegal Danny on November 17, 2010, 02:26:35 PM
Eugene Callinan, UCC Tipperary/Cork 3 medals; '18-28

Jim McGuinness has a rival.

I'll raise you: Anthony Finnerty, UCG/UCD Mayo 4 medals '81-96
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

deargdoom

I'll raise you: Anthony Finnerty, UCG/UCD Mayo 4 medals '81-96
[/quote]

but he played for 2 unis :P

[/quote]
Jim McGrane, QUB/Armagh 2 medal in '92-93
[/quote]
pretty sure its meant to be Paul

Uladh

What is paul finlay doing on that list? Was McHugh on the selection committee?

thewobbler

Seems like an utterly pointless award this one.

By its very nature, those who have made the biggest contribution to Sigerson football are those who spent too long at university, and as such gained an unfair advantage at the level.

Rav67

Bogball XV

No Tohill?  No Brolly? No McNicholl?

muppet

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 17, 2010, 05:33:05 PM
No Tohill?  No Brolly? No McNicholl?

No, no, no.

But why has PTG no years?

And if Larry was in college for 15 years what was he studying? Philosofry?
MWWSI 2017

laoisgaa

arrell lashes out at imbalance in Sigerson Team of the Century shortlist.
By Cóilín Duffy

Ulster Higher Education GAA Chairman John Farrell has lashed out at the selection committee for the 'Ulster Bank Sigerson Team of the Century', over their decision to shortlist just three players from the last decade of the competition for nomination, and for failing to consult with colleges in their endeavours.

The shortlist of 60 players was unveiled yesterday by Higher Education Chairman Ray O'Brien in Croke Park, with DCU's Bryan Cullen, Paul Finlay of Monaghan and Galway's Michael Meehan the only players of recent vintage in contention for the final 15.

Farrell, who is also UUJ GAA Club President congratulated all those nominated, but says that the consultation process with colleges was almost nonexistent.

"First of all we would like to congratulate anybody who eventually gets honoured, but we would point out
that nobody in the colleges, and I can only speak for Jordanstown and Ulster - nobody was consulted in terms of nominations for this.

"It is a pity that CA (Comhairle Ardoideachais) didn't listen to clubs when they were asked to consider to have a team of the first 50 years, and then a team of the second 50 years.

"What we are going to have now is a situation where a lot of people will not be alive to receive awards.

He added, "I don't know how they picked these players, because there is nobody alive who would ever remember them.

"I think it would have been far better if they had picked two teams, each covering a 50-year period.

"Some of the nominations I find extremely strange."

Farrell feels that while it is important to have special events for the Sigerson Centenary, CA have lost their focus a bit on the important issues surrounding colleges competitions.

"There was considerable money set aside for the Sigerson Cup competition centenary anniversary, which should be celebrated in some way.

"However, I think this particular way of having a Centenary team is not a good one. It would have been better serving having some of more poignant celebration for the people who are actually playing at the moment, and who are going to play in the future."

Farrell's college UUJ just have two players shortlisted for honours, with Derry's Sean Marty Lockhart and Down's DJ Kane nominated, while Belfast rivals Queens hold seven nominees including 2002 All-Ireland winning captain Kieran McGeeney.

UCD dominate the nominees with 22 players shortlisted, while UCC and UCG have 13 each. Meanwhile, St Mary's Belfast, DCU, IT Tralee, NUI Maynooth and IT Sligo complete the shortlist with one nominee each.

The team will be announced in December, on a separate date to the CA Championship Draws which take place on December 8th.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Rav67 on November 17, 2010, 05:28:51 PM
No McGourty?

The first glaring ommission i thought of. Was outstanding for QUB. Also, how UUJ have had no representatives from last two Sigerson winning teams is hard to understand.

imtommygunn

Poor Tommy Joe...

Haven't seen enough sigerson football but in terms of Jordanstown players Mark Lynch, who has yet to prove himself at county level, has been excellent for Jordanstown and would surely merit a mention.

AlriteHorse

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 17, 2010, 08:24:44 PM
Poor Tommy Joe...

Haven't seen enough sigerson football but in terms of Jordanstown players Mark Lynch, who has yet to prove himself at county level, has been excellent for Jordanstown and would surely merit a mention.

Joke! There's a hell of a lot more guys should be included on this! Don't recognise a lot of the guys on this. (No Jim McGuinness or Anthony Rainbow?) Can think of several Sligo IT players with back-to-back medals, as well as 5/6 QUB players who have featured in 4 Finals....not to mention the players UUJ have had in the last decade. Not too often I'd agree with TJ, but he hit the nail on the head here.

Who were the selection committee?
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

saffron sam2

The two boys from my time at Queen's who should be on that list are James McCartan and Anthony Tohill.

James McCartan's Sigerson career spanned the same four years as Peter Canavan and whilst Canavan makes the list, James doesn't. There is doubt that Canavan should be on the list, particularly since he was coming from non-league football; his performance against Galway in the '93 semi-final is the best individual performance I have ever seen. However, compare the Sigerson records of the two boys: McCartan - four Sigersons, three finals, two medals, two red cards; Canavan - four Sigersons, two finals, one semi-final, two kicks, no medals, one red card.

How Tohill misses out and Brewster and McGrane get in defies belief. When Tohill won player of the tournament in '93, neither of the other two were considered good enough to play midfield. In fact Brewster during his studies was in a queue behind such luminaries as Danny Barr, Adrian Kilpatrick and Cathal O'Rourke for a midfield slot.

Form a Polytechnic perspective, I would argue that Noel Donnelly is well worth a place on that list.

But thewobbler is indeed correct, a pointless exercise.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

brokencrossbar1

Tohill and McCartan definitely should be there.  McCartan in the age period of about 17 to 23 was practically unmarkable.  Tohill was simply awesome at that time.

Also I don't know how Hugh Daly from the Polytech never made the list :P