Ice baths - at best waste of time, at worst dangerous ?

Started by orangeman, November 15, 2010, 08:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Ice baths leave experts cold
Monday November 15 2010

SUBMERGING athletes in ice baths to cure sore muscles is all pain and no gain, writes Eilish O'Regan.

Many sports clubs around the country are placing players in wheelie bins filled with ice as they replicate treatments offered to professional athletes, but a study has found the makeshift ice baths increase the risk of breathing difficulties and frostbite.

Professor Alan Donnelly and his team at the University of Limerick examined the use of cryotherapy treatments -- including ice baths and hi-tech chambers -- over a four-year period and found no proven benefit in reducing soreness of muscles.

Whole-body cryotherapy chambers are usually professionally operated and athletes are not at risk. However, ice baths present real risks, such as ice burns and bronchospasm (constriction of airways), Prof Donnelly said.

Irish Independent

Puckoon

Jesus they could beef out the article a bit with some of the findings.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: Puckoon on November 15, 2010, 09:55:49 PM
Jesus they could beef out the article a bit with some of the findings.

My thoughts exactly, the artlicle looks like someone is justing stating their opinion lol!!!!!!!!!
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

lynchbhoy

it was prob just a sadist ploy by the retiring and retreating christian brothers- a last chance to inflict needless pain on the young sports people of Ireland and britain !

J OGorman

from a personal experience, if I take a knock, slight pull, twinge etc...,a few sessions of 7-8 mins in a cold bath works wonders, at least halves the recovery time

Zulu

Nothing new here. There has never been any supporting scientific evidence for the use of ice baths. They don't work, simple as.

haranguerer

Quote from: Zulu on November 16, 2010, 01:06:12 PM
Nothing new here. There has never been any supporting scientific evidence for the use of ice baths. They don't work, simple as.

What do you think about cryotherapy chambers?

johnneycool

Quote from: J OGorman on November 16, 2010, 12:54:08 PM
from a personal experience, if I take a knock, slight pull, twinge etc...,a few sessions of 7-8 mins in a cold bath works wonders, at least halves the recovery time

After a heavy training session I certainly don't feel as bad the next day if I've been in the ice bath/trough just after it.

Is there any scientific analysis of lactic acid build up or is this short piece only based on injuries?

Zulu

It's been shown that a traditional cool down is just as effective in removing lactic acid.

QuoteWhat do you think about cryotherapy chambers?

I haven't come across anything to suggest they are worth the expense, I'll have a look a round to see what the latest research says but to my knowledge it offers no advantage either.

AZOffaly

Zulu, what do they use in more physical games where injuries and knocks are more common, like American Football and Rugby?

haranguerer

Zulu, its just the piece above suggests neither cryotherapy chambers nor the cheaper alternative of ice baths are of any benefit in reducing soreness. You say a traditional cool down is as effective, going by this research this suggests i.e. not at all effective.

I'm not a great fan of ice baths, I think the benefit isn't as great as the hassle, but i think the above article is incorrect in saying they have no benefit, i think they can reduce stiffness. I',m just a bit sceptical of the article, because I reckon with all these kinds of research, theres always a tendency to aim for the unexpected finding, that way its published in papers and discussed on GAAboard.  ;)

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 16, 2010, 01:25:04 PM
Zulu, what do they use in more physical games where injuries and knocks are more common, like American Football and Rugby?

I know that some professional rugby teams have ice baths available for their players but none of the coaching staff rate them. They reckon some players like them and are doing no real harm so the option is there. I'd say it is something similar in American football.

QuoteIts just the piece above suggests neither cryotherapy chambers nor the cheaper alternative of ice baths are of any benefit in reducing soreness. You say a traditional cool down is as effective, going by this research this suggests i.e. not at all effective.

It is very hard to conclusively show anything in sports science as you can't control for many confounding factors, however the general trend in the literature is that ice baths and cryotherapy offer no physiological benefits in recovery. Many scientists credit the pacebo affect for the benefits percieved by some athletes after cryotherapy treatments. to be fair, it is probably too early to say whether they offer any benefits but IMO neither ice baths or cryo are worth the hassle or expense.

haranguerer

Thats not the general trend at all, given that this piece makes news becuase it bucks the general trend. I'd agree that they're mebbe not worth the hassle, but to use your own argument, given that they are as effective as traditional cool downs, surely that suggests some benefit beyond a placebo effect? Or is it just a placebo effect from performing a traditional cooldown also? (not twisting needlesly btw, just think the article is bollocks)

In which case its a pity they wouldn't invent something a lot handier and warmer and tell us its brilliant for recovery, sure we'd get the same placebo effect. Although I suppose thats where compresion garments came from...

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on November 16, 2010, 01:15:34 PM

After a heavy training session I certainly don't feel as bad the next day if I've been in the ice bath/trough just after it.

Is there any scientific analysis of lactic acid build up or is this short piece only based on injuries?

100% agree with you. I've done sessions where I know I'd be struggling to walk the next day only for the ice bath/hot shower rotation after training. Maybe its the placebo effect but I very, very much doubt it.

Franko

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 16, 2010, 01:51:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 16, 2010, 01:15:34 PM

100% agree with you. I've done sessions where I know I'd be struggling to walk the next day only for the ice bath/hot shower rotation after training. Maybe its the placebo effect but I very, very much doubt it.

I'd be in agreement there.  They definitely benefit me the next day after a heavy (training) session.  :)