After the Grim Reaper, then what?

Started by DoYerJob Linesman, November 10, 2010, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYerJob Linesman

I know its not a particularly upbeat topic, but I have recently been thinking alot about whether or not there is an after life, or is it all over when we go into the hole?

Due to recent events both on here and at home, I have been wondering firstly what lies beyond, if anything, and secondly what the majority of ordinary people from my cultural background really believe?

I would guess that alot of us adopt the ostrich approach when it comes to this difficult question.  We dutifully file into Mass for 35 minutes each week, and don't give a second thought to religion unless something extraordinary happens in our lives.  Do many of us go through life without really trying to think about or understand what lies in store, if anything?

How many of us buy into the traditional teachings of a Heavenly Paradise and a Hell?  Is this simplistic thinking really enough to answer any questions we may have?

Is there some sort of higher consciousness to which we are some how connected, or are we simply here by biological chance, for 3 score and 10?

Or should I just shut up and read the Horse Racing thread and stop talking shit?   :)

17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

ziggysego

I've given a lot of thought to this very question. However, I'm heading in a minute, so I'll answer this tomorrow. But yes, there is an afterlife. Or to phrase it better, I believe there is.
Testing Accessibility

DoYerJob Linesman

For those who believe with all their heart that there is an afterlife, what form do you imagine it takes?

Lawrence of Knockbride

The Real Laoislad

I believe in some sort of afterlife but I also believe in reincarnation.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerrykeegan

f**k. I was afraid to open this as I thought it was one of Muppet/Seafoids the country is fucked threads. Happy days. Yes I believe in some sort of after life, just lazy days sitting around looking down at  Westmeath victory after victory and Meath been beaten every game they play ( in Hell)
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Hoof Hearted

a load of ballix. My opinion, that's all.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 10, 2010, 07:47:22 PM

Have you given it much thought Hoof? 

ONeill

This is it. There's no afterlife. We're just advanced life forms (apart from Ardboe/Moortown). Enjoy it whilst you can. All that holy stuff is to stop us from robbing Tescos or the chip shop without a conscience.

There's not one shred of proof (apart from word of mouth) to suggest otherwise. The non-believers have all the proof.

It's a rather depressing thought at first but you soon get used to it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on November 10, 2010, 07:52:14 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 10, 2010, 07:47:22 PM

Have you given it much thought Hoof?

i haven't no, i'm not very religious at all TBH
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Banana Man

''in my father's house there are many rooms''

you wonder if your loved ones die and you die will you see them again, i imagine some mythical castle in the sky, but if there are different levels of behaviour while on earth are there corresponding levels of reward in heaven and if you aren't as well behaved as the next man will you be denied acess to his areas

pickles my head

RMDrive

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Gold

It's some topic. If you think about it too much you'll freak out.

If you think seriously about it it's hard to imagine that thats just not it when you die --a wasp got hit by a paper earlier in my house and died--i thought is that it for that wasp or does it have an afterlife? Or does it not as it has no 'soul' --but whats a soul and who said humans had one?

Is there proof that the bible has been around since Jesus--is there proof of Jesus? How can they tell for sure that the bible wasnt made up in say the year 800?

Sure a few hundred years ago the Catholic Church were selling indulgences to familes--saying that by buying those their dead relatives would move from purgatory to hell --who makes up this sort of thing?? I think faith just relaxes people from the panic that would ensue if everyone thought that this is it.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Orior

You could kill yourself worrying about all this.

But it's nice having something to look forward to, innit?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians