GAA Books 2010

Started by donelli, November 10, 2010, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Bought Dara O'Sheas book this morning in Sligo. Looking forward to it, will give you all a review. Also heard this morning that Martin McHugh is in the middle of writing a book. It surprised me to be honest considering the man has done nothing on the pitch since 1992 and as a manager of Cavan in 1996 or something? That's 14 years as a pundit and writing in tabloids. Can't see it being a great book TBH. He should put his money where his mouth is and manage his own county. Then he could have material for a book.

Celt_Man

Quote from: ck on December 28, 2010, 03:27:28 PM
Bought Dara O'Sheas book this morning in Sligo. Looking forward to it, will give you all a review. Also heard this morning that Martin McHugh is in the middle of writing a book. It surprised me to be honest considering the man has done nothing on the pitch since 1992 and as a manager of Cavan in 1996 or something? That's 14 years as a pundit and writing in tabloids. Can't see it being a great book TBH. He should put his money where his mouth is and manage his own county. Then he could have material for a book.

He won Donegal's first All-Ireland as a Player and Cavan's first Ulster title in 28 years as a Manager.  That is more than enough in my book - pardon the pun!  You could argue that is the same/more of an achievement than McConville or boys like that who have written a book
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

magpie seanie

Finished "The Club" in jig time. A simply fantastic read. Some of the parallels with my own club were astounding. A must read for anyone involved in the GAA.

haze

got Dan Shanahan, Dara O Se and Voices from Croke Park.

Nearly finished Voices from Croke Park- nothing spectacular but it is a very enjoyablve read with some good stories within. Good mix of players selected as well I think. I have found the Bernard Flynn and Michael Duignan pieces the most interesting so far.

5 Sams

Quote from: ck on December 28, 2010, 03:27:28 PM

>:( >:(
The Aristocrat Years

Bud Wiser

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 29, 2010, 04:25:51 PM
Finished "The Club" in jig time. A simply fantastic read. Some of the parallels with my own club were astounding. A must read for anyone involved in the GAA.

I liked the part where the manager asked what kind of a team did they have?
"Oh we have twelve fairly good players"
"and who are the three bad ones"
"We have no bad ones, the other three are All-Stars "

Classic.

I'm encouraged by Anthony Daly's tactics with Joe Considine as well, he might give the Dubs a fighting chance this year !!   (Draws across Considine and asks him what the foook he is doing up this end of the field and to foook off back to hillbilly land where he came from or he would get himself killed or words like that, or maybe worse.   Great book and I'd say there are many, many players you will in time relate to the part where they were standing outside the gate of the house shaking hands and deciding to retire and saying to each other that it was a pleasure to have soldiered together and that that they had given it their all.  Ould lads like me still regret that maybe we could always have done better or did not make enough commitment when we had the chance so to anyone playing GAA today at any level, in the imortal words of D'Unbelievables,  Go out thyere and enjoy yourselves, every day God sends you, you lucky feckers.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Maguire01

Got 'The Club' as a present and read it over two days during the holidays. A great read.

ck

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 06, 2011, 04:59:32 PM
Got 'The Club' as a present and read it over two days during the holidays. A great read.

Have not heard a single bad word about the club. What is it all about? A spoof club, piss take?

5 Sams

Quote from: ck on January 07, 2011, 09:35:07 PM

Have not heard a single bad word about the club. What is it all about? A spoof club, piss take?

In fact the complete opposite CK...I'll give you a bye ball and pretend you are taking the piss. On the other hand if you're not takin the piss I'd question the wisdom of you posting on an internet thread about GAA books if you don't know who Christy O'Connor is.
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 07, 2011, 09:41:58 PM

In fact the complete opposite CK...I'll give you a bye ball and pretend you are taking the piss. On the other hand if you're not takin the piss I'd question the wisdom of you posting on an internet thread about GAA books if you don't know who Christy O'Connor is.
Gonna order it this week on amazon.  Have my reservations about how "warts and all" a book can be when written by an existing clubman.

ck

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 07, 2011, 09:41:58 PM

Of course I know who he is, I just wanted to know in what manner it was written as everyone seems to love it, young and old. I still have no idea what it's about though. Gonna google it now.

tyroneman

Read that book about the Waterford footballers. Fantastic. A real eye opener with some great stories.  Have utmost respect for the coaches and fellas that dedicate themselves like that in a county consumed by hurling.

The updated 'out of our skins' is next on the list. Anyone read it?

Just Puck It

Just bought Christy O'Connor's 'The Club' and Tony Griffin's 'Screaming at the Sky' of Amazon, here's hoping they'll keep the January blues at bay for the next couple of weeks!

ck

Quote from: Just Puck It on January 08, 2011, 11:04:54 AM
Just bought Christy O'Connor's 'The Club' and Tony Griffin's 'Screaming at the Sky' of Amazon, here's hoping they'll keep the January blues at bay for the next couple of weeks!

Let us know what the club is like. Looking forward to getting it at some stage.

ck

Quote from: tyroneman on January 08, 2011, 10:00:03 AM
Read that book about the Waterford footballers. Fantastic. A real eye opener with some great stories.  Have utmost respect for the coaches and fellas that dedicate themselves like that in a county consumed by hurling.

The updated 'out of our skins' is next on the list. Anyone read it?

What is the Waterford footballers book called?