Pop goes Northern Ireland

Started by Sandino, November 07, 2010, 10:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

Reeling in the years for the Northern Ireland. Interesting to see some of the old footage, it might give some of our friends from south of the border an insight as to what it was all about! I wonder if the GAA get a look in.

"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

lurganblue

micko12368

Sandino

deiseach

The dislocation between the visuals and the soundtrack is weird. It's like watching Platoon and hearing Rolf Harris rather than Samuel Barber

Norf Tyrone

At work so is this on BBC or RTE?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Sandino

Its such a pity they have not kept the reeling in the years format amd have decided to leave years out.

ziggysego

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2010, 10:32:54 PM
The dislocation between the visuals and the soundtrack is weird. It's like watching Platoon and hearing Rolf Harris rather than Samuel Barber

I was just thinking the same thing watching it tonight.

Plus, it's too depressing to watch.
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

Shame they coundn't dig up at least one Irish backing track. Van/Lizzy/Horslips/Rory were all at their peak at the time.

bloodybreakball

sorry for going off-topic lads, but was very disapointed that cormac mc annallen didnt get a mention in reeling in the years last night, certainly a big memory for me and in irish terms 'a real where were you at when you heard moment' or jfk moment. also john mc call also passed on from a heart condition shortly after playing rugby for ireland

Sandino

I missed Reeling in the Years. Its a disgrace if Cormac was not included in the show. His and John McCalls death brought this illness to the attention of the people of Ireland north and south in such a say way.

seafoid

I would have thought that nobody in Norn Iron would want to reel in any year from 1968-1994. What a waste . 

I was listening to "Alternative Ulster" the other day. I think they really hit the nail on the head with that song.   

deargdoom

Quote from: bloodybreakball on November 15, 2010, 11:21:46 AM
was very disapointed that cormac mc annallen didnt get a mention in reeling in the years last night, certainly a big memory for me and in irish terms 'a real where were you at when you heard moment'

Couldn't believe it either! Although its possible that they will reference it in the 2005 episode through Dooher's speech. They don't always draw attention to deaths, like Phil Lynott's death wasn't mentioned, they just played the video to one of his songs in the previous episode to show him at the height of his fame.