Sketchy... hit or miss?

Started by longrunsthefox, November 06, 2010, 12:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Anyone see this lad Diarmuid Corr the other night. From Derrylaughin. Wondering wat people thot of it. Go easy on him now!! was the first show and Monty Pythons got hammered at the start. IMO characters have potential but big time I think he needs funnier material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obeyPkLa7QM

ONeill

Hit and miss, like most Irish comics. Some potentially very funny material. Sorta knew him growing up, never opened his mouth.

Comics now seem to struggle with juggling the modern (sex) with the old (accent/traits).

Terrible spelling of Derrylaughan though. Or is is Derrylaughen. Or Dirtyloughland.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ONeill on November 06, 2010, 12:28:26 AM
Hit and miss, like most Irish comics. Some potentially very funny material. Sorta knew him growing up, never opened his mouth.

Comics now seem to struggle with juggling the modern (sex) with the old (accent/traits).

Terrible spelling of Derrylaughan though. Or is is Derrylaughen. Or Dirtyloughland.

You spotted my deliberate mistake. Well done. Derry - laughin as in laughing and him a comedian...  :P

ONeill

Watched a few of those youtube clips. A lot of misses. He's better at stand up but the one on RTE was poor.

longrunsthefox

Trying to be gentle here but I was disapointed with the first show but live in hope that the characters will bed in and grow on the viewers. People rave now about James Young and clips of it are very funny (Emily Beattie etc) but when you watch full shows on video a lot of it was absolute sh*te. Not an easy game to craic.

ziggysego

I have to agree with ONeill, his stand up was much better than the sketches. The sketches weren't terrible, they just weren't brilliant. Plenty of room for improvement. A heck of a lot better than the sketch show The Hole In The Wall gang did a few years ago, Dry Your Eyes.
Testing Accessibility

rrhf

...Or Dirtyloughland.
O neill - I invented that!!
Good lad Diarmuid - wish him well he could be a big grower.  I thought wanderin wi willie and claims man were class.  Strange when you know half the audience. 

ONeill

Indeed you did RRHF!

To give him his dues it's fairly fresh comedy and having watched it again it had a few chucklers.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ziggysego on November 06, 2010, 01:14:16 AM
I have to agree with ONeill, his stand up was much better than the sketches. The sketches weren't terrible, they just weren't brilliant. Plenty of room for improvement. A heck of a lot better than the sketch show The Hole In The Wall gang did a few years ago, Dry Your Eyes.

You telling me to dry my eyes?!! I hope he does well and am only giving opinion! I see in other places you have aspirations to be Predisident of Ireland. Won't be much freedom of speech if that happens!

BennyHarp

I was in a few of Diarmuid's classes at the Acedemy, (probably when O'Neill was teaching in the Girls side) he was a nice lad then but I'd never have put him down as a comedian! Best of luck to him! By the way, he is Peadar's brother as far as I know.
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

Erm, I think you have the wrong O'Neill there, young man. I know who you're talking about and there'd be a good age difference!

I'd have been on the other side of the desk like yourself at that time.

BennyHarp

Ah right, sorry about that! Got my o'neills mixed up then!
That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

I thought the material was fairly good but the delivery was poor. He needs to work on his acting skills, but I have the feeling he doesn't have any.

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 06, 2010, 12:42:10 AMPeople rave now about James Young

They do?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Hardy on November 06, 2010, 11:28:42 AM
I thought the material was fairly good but the delivery was poor. He needs to work on his acting skills, but I have the feeling he doesn't have any.

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 06, 2010, 12:42:10 AMPeople rave now about James Young

They do?

Well, there would be glass tinted views of him by those who remember back that far. Still some of it was funny I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4PD3Q5NICo

ziggysego

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 06, 2010, 09:38:15 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 06, 2010, 01:14:16 AM

You telling me to dry my eyes?!! I hope he does well and am only giving opinion! I see in other places you have aspirations to be Predisident of Ireland. Won't be much freedom of speech if that happens!

Are you claiming I'm a dissident?
Testing Accessibility