Author Topic: Poppy Watch  (Read 218810 times)

Jim_Murphy_74

• View Profile
Re: Poppy Watch
« Reply #2220 on: November 08, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »
I think he was foolish to use a Bobby Sands quote in his defence. It allows for distraction and arguments about whether Sands was a terrorist etc.. Also using the word **** was inappropriate.

Apart from that he is 1,000% correct to call this bigotry out for what it is.

/Jim.
Why? this is the type of crap that still goes on in NI, its ok for Unionism to laude its various military and paramilitary icons but don't let Mc Clean quote Bobby Sands lest he offend sensitive ears.

Because, when you want to make a point, I always believe less is more.  Highlight the poppy fascism and sheer racism involved you stick to that only.  Throwing in the quote gives people a chance to start a side bar discussion: "One man's freedom fighter", "Is he an IRA supporter", "Is that why he won't wear the poppy".

James made excellent arguments in his letter to Wigan a few year's back.  I believe he is best served to stick to those points, no distractions.

That shows these goons up.

/Jim.

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: November 09, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »
Fair play to Tracey Magee, refusing to wear a poppy on UTV Live... girl has more balls than Frankie Fuckwit and all those other west Brits on UTV and local BBC

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: November 09, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »
Fair play to Tracey Magee, refusing to wear a poppy on UTV Live... girl has more balls than Frankie Fuckwit and all those other west Brits on UTV and local BBC

Maybe they have reasons for wearing them? Other than the view you think most people wear them? Does someone from Cornwall wearing one piss you off?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

pbat

• View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: November 09, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »
Wouldnt expect anything else from Frankie, he hadnt even the balls to use his own name.

Targetman

• View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: November 09, 2018, 09:10:51 PM »
Reginald D. Hunter the only one on Have I got news for you not wearing one, so its not compulsory?

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: November 09, 2018, 09:55:17 PM »
Reginald D. Hunter the only one on Have I got news for you not wearing one, so its not compulsory?
Who says it is? Iíve seen plenty not wearing poppies on tv!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: November 09, 2018, 10:13:18 PM »

Totally agree.  Time a lot more of the media - probably 50/50 now, to stop wearing them also, instead of pandering !

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: November 09, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »
Wouldnt expect anything else from Frankie, he hadnt even the balls to use his own name.

No surprise, a college man.

charlieTully

• View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: November 10, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »

Ok Milltown you want to wear a poppy we get it.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: November 10, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »

Never have never will, I just donít get offended, same as an Easter Lilly, if people choose to wear one then go ahead. Some snowflakes about

charlieTully

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: November 10, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »

Never have never will, I just donít get offended, same as an Easter Lilly, if people choose to wear one then go ahead. Some snowflakes about

Just right. Would never wear it either and have never wore an easter Lilly. Load of balls sticking silly flowers on yourself.

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: November 10, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
I work in the Civil Service. The only there's any degree of uncomfortableness between the 2 sections of the community is at poppy time. They should ban the feckin thing. I used to go mass at lunchtime when there was a holiday of obligation. Most times the church was practically empty, come Ash Wednesday they were queued down the street. Every bit as bad. 
Careful now

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: November 10, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »
I work in the Civil Service. The only there's any degree of uncomfortableness between the 2 sections of the community is at poppy time. They should ban the feckin thing. I used to go mass at lunchtime when there was a holiday of obligation. Most times the church was practically empty, come Ash Wednesday they were queued down the street. Every bit as bad.

Worked in CS at one time. There was a no emblems rule in place which was adhered to. Until November time.

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: November 10, 2018, 02:33:20 PM »

I remember the mass thing from uni. Queens chaplaincy was empty all year until ash Wednesday when every gombeen was in to get the ashes before walking out of mass and into the pub.