4. 3 v Kilkenny   9.3.2011   

5. Meath v Dublin   23.2.2011   

6. 5 v Longford   9.3.2011   

7. Westmeath v Laois   23.2.2011   

8. 7 v Offaly   9.3.2011   

9. 2 v 4   23.3.2011   

10. 6 v 8   23.3.2011   

FINAL: 9 v 10   6.4.2011
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Croí na hÉireann

Interesting draw from a WH perspective, underage games with Laois are always open & entertaining and they if we win that get an opportunity to roll over the Biffos. Roll on February
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mattockranger

lose many players from last years final team??

Heslin should be a dominant force next year!!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: mattockranger on October 29, 2010, 06:37:05 PM
lose many players from last years final team??

Heslin should be a dominant force next year!!

Not 100% on the ins and outs but we'll keep more than we'll lose anyway. Are yous all set for your trip to Mullingar on Sunday? If Garrycastle play like they did against the Slashers you'll have nothing to worry about. Well done though to Dessie who is the only reason they won, he's now beat the Slashers at club and county level  ;D

mattockranger

|from reports Garrycastle are a tough outfit!!! strong defensively and massive around the middle and dessie pulling the strings up front.....after the disappointment of last year we just want a good performance out of the lads!

Great venue and looking forward to it!

Croí na hÉireann

I wouldn't say they are that strong defensively, Mullin in goals is a decent keeper but James Dolan was the only one to do himself justice the last day, the others were poor I thought. They were out muscled in the middle as well with the Slashers half back line the launchpad for their attacks. Who's worth keeping an eye out for from the Rangers?

Most people in Westmeath wouldn't have a problem with Garrycastle apart from anyone involved with Athlone, don't mention the war. Hope to head in, the Junior game before it is a bit of a local rivalry & could be worth heading in early for, Milltownpass are playing Clonmore Harps who are just over the Biffo border from them.

mattockranger

yeah i was very impressed with Kelly at half back from the slashers....I felt that Harte sweeps and they bring alot of men behind the ball....dessie the main threat either linking up with mulvihill on the forty or scoring when inside.....we have the players to do it....whether it happens on the day we don't know....Adrian reid on the forty and his Brother david on the wing is the main men to look out for us and our main scorers....christy grimes has a good a left foot as any.....and our other county man Mark brennan has the potential to do something special when he puts his mind to it....just hope we give a good account of oursleves anyway....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 04, 2010, 09:29:22 AM
I wouldn't say they are that strong defensively, Mullin in goals is a decent keeper but James Dolan was the only one to do himself justice the last day, the others were poor I thought. They were out muscled in the middle as well with the Slashers half back line the launchpad for their attacks. Who's worth keeping an eye out for from the Rangers?

Most people in Westmeath wouldn't have a problem with Garrycastle apart from anyone involved with Athlone, don't mention the war. Hope to head in, the Junior game before it is a bit of a local rivalry & could be worth heading in early for, Milltownpass are playing Clonmore Harps who are just over the Biffo border from them.
clonmore are a splinter team from the Meath outfit 'ballinabracky' - a little leg of meath that goes down into offaly and borders kildare, westmeath and i'm not too sure which side of the county boarder clonmore is actually in - though its now ruled as offaly not meath !

Croí na hÉireann

I knew ye'd have a delegation there alright. Was sitting up from Pascal Kelleghan who was watching the Junior game that was on before. He's in charge of Ballinabrackey who have the Kilkenny champs up next, I hope he's not taking his eye off the ball  :P

I just hope it's a good game and may the best team win. Who wins will be playing away to the winners of Portlaoise/Kilmacud, not easy...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 05, 2010, 02:26:09 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 04, 2010, 09:29:22 AM

clonmore are a splinter team from the Meath outfit 'ballinabracky' - a little leg of meath that goes down into offaly and borders kildare, westmeath and i'm not too sure which side of the county boarder clonmore is actually in - though its now ruled as offaly not meath !

Google maps verify it as Biffoland, no sign of a pitch though, their website says it's "Near Bracknagh. On meath border in Rhode parish"

mattockranger

well Croí what did ya make of the game?

I feel we had enough there to win it....and left it behind us.....fair play to Garrycastle had the experience and the nuse to get out of trcky situations.....maybe lacking a forward to win it out.....but nice people and best of luck to them

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: mattockranger on November 08, 2010, 06:01:35 PM
well Croí what did ya make of the game?

I feel we had enough there to win it....and left it behind us.....fair play to Garrycastle had the experience and the nuse to get out of trcky situations.....maybe lacking a forward to win it out.....but nice people and best of luck to them

I thought it was poor enough, with a couple of moments of class here and there, mainly around the goals. Rangers started at a hundred miles an hour and once Garrycastle steadied the ship and tacked on a few points they thought they had the game sorted. Then bang, 2 goals in less than 2 mins, the first was a thing of beauty, great individual effort. Garrycastle did well to get it back to 2 before halftime and then in the second half proceeded to score their 2 goals even quicker than the Rangers managed I'd say. The full back was very suspect though I thought letting Mulville in behind him too easy. Garrycastle were 4 points up at this stage but couldn't put ye away and ye nearly stung them at the end so fair play for sticking with it. I can't see Garrycastle beating Kilmacud Crokes in Dublin tbh, they have a great backline and even with all their injuries they still won the Dublin club championship and put out the current Leinster holders on their own pitch. It will need a herculan effort and a performance they have kept well hidden so far. Hope ye still managed to enjoy your trip to Mullingar, it was an entertaining game for this time of year.

shark

Westmeath team v Laois

EOIN CARBERY (Rosemount)
BEN MORAN (Caulry)
KIERAN SHERIDAN (Ballynacargy)
KEVIN MAGUIRE (Caulry)
MARK McCALLUM (Garrycastle)
KIERAN MARTIN (Maryland)
JAMES DOLAN (Garrycastle)
DAVID KEENAN (Kilbeggan Shamrocks)
DARRAGH DALY (Mullingar Shamrocks)
ADAM CORROON (Mullingar Shamrocks)
CONOR LYNAM (St.Loman's)
GER EGAN (Tyrrellspass)
IAN COFFEY (Tubberclair)
CALLUM McCORMACK (Maryland)
TOMMY McDANIELS (Ballinagore)

SUBS:
JOE McMAHON (Caulry)
ENDA BOLAND (Rosemount)
STEPHEN GILMORE (St.Loman's)
JOHN GILLIGAN (Ballymore)
DARREN MALYNN (Rosemount)
DAVID GAVIN (Mullingar Shamrocks)
SHANE FLANAGAN (Milltownpass)
DEAN McNICHOLAS (Tyrrellspass)
JOHN EGAN (Athlone)

Laois (U21F v Westmeath): John Dunphy (Spink); Alan Whelan (The Heath), Kieran Booth (The Heath), Sean George (Mountmellick); Shane Murphy (Emo), Ciaran Farrell (Ballylinan), James Nerney (The Heath); Stuart Nerney (Portlaoise), Kieran Lillis (Portlaoise); Luke Doyle (Courtwood), James Doyle (St Josephs), Barry Kelly (O'Dempseys); Daryl Hayden (Graiguecullen), Donal Kinsgton (Arles-Killeen), Gary Walsh (Ballylinan).

From a Westmeath perspective Heslin is obviously a huge loss.  Doesn't change the fact that there is still a potentially lethal forward line there though.  And Daly should catch more than his fair share.
Don't know enough about Laois to comment, but needless to say Kingston will take watching. Kieran Martin may have to go back on him, as he did last year.

Croí na hÉireann

Laois and Westmeath have announced their U21 sides for Wednesday evening's Leinster Football Championship first round contest in Portlaoise.

Fit-again Donie Kingston is included at full forward for Laois, who also have Kieran Lillis - a substitute for the county seniors in their Allianz Football League win over Meath two weeks ago - at midfield.

Westmeath go into battle without star man John Heslin, red-carded in injury time of the seniors' Division 3 draw with Cavan at the weekend.

Throw-in at O'Moore Park on Wednesday is at 7.30pm.

Laois (U21F v Westmeath): John Dunphy (Spink); Alan Whelan (The Heath), Kieran Booth (The Heath), Sean George (Mountmellick); Shane Murphy (Emo), Ciaran Farrell (Ballylinan), James Nerney (The Heath); Stuart Nerney (Portlaoise), Kieran Lillis (Portlaoise); Luke Doyle (Courtwood), James Doyle (St Josephs), Barry Kelly (O'Dempseys); Daryl Hayden (Graiguecullen), Donal Kinsgton (Arles-Killeen), Gary Walsh (Ballylinan).

Westmeath (U21F v Laois): Eoin Carbery; Ben Moran, Kieran Sheridan, Kevin Maguire; Mark McCallum, Kieran Martin, James Dolan; David Keenan, Darragh Daly; Adam Corroon, Conor Lynam, Ger Egan; Ian Coffey, Callum McCormack, Tommy McDaniel.

Can't wait for this. Laois Westmeath underage battles are always entertaining, hopefully midweek under lights will add to the occasion and the crowds won't be affected. Sludden's decision to harshly give Heslin a red card on Sunday will have a massive effect here, midfield up for grabs now. Didn't realise Kinsgton was still underage, I'd put Martin on him from the start. Good to see Ian Coffey back, John Egan is on the banch, is he fully fit does anyone know? If we can get the ball into our forwards I'd be confident enough they can do damage. Need to hold them at the back and keep a clean sheet, big games needed from the senior panelists.

Edit: U beat me to it shark, is Adam a brother of Dennis?

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 22, 2011, 11:53:29 AM
Laois and Westmeath have announced their U21 sides for Wednesday evening's Leinster Football Championship first round contest in Portlaoise.

Fit-again Donie Kingston is included at full forward for Laois, who also have Kieran Lillis - a substitute for the county seniors in their Allianz Football League win over Meath two weeks ago - at midfield.

Westmeath go into battle without star man John Heslin, red-carded in injury time of the seniors' Division 3 draw with Cavan at the weekend.

Throw-in at O'Moore Park on Wednesday is at 7.30pm.

Westmeath (U21F v Laois): Eoin Carbery; Ben Moran, Kieran Sheridan, Kevin Maguire; Mark McCallum, Kieran Martin, James Dolan; David Keenan, Darragh Daly; Adam Corroon, Conor Lynam, Ger Egan; Ian Coffey, Callum McCormack, Tommy McDaniel.

Can't wait for this. Laois Westmeath underage battles are always entertaining, hopefully midweek under lights will add to the occasion and the crowds won't be affected. Sludden's decision to harshly give Heslin a red card on Sunday will have a massive effect here, midfield up for grabs now. Didn't realise Kinsgton was still underage, I'd put Martin on him from the start. Good to see Ian Coffey back, John Egan is on the banch, is he fully fit does anyone know? If we can get the ball into our forwards I'd be confident enough they can do damage. Need to hold them at the back and keep a clean sheet, big games needed from the senior panelists.

Edit: U beat me to it shark, is Adam a brother of Dennis?

First Cousins. He is wouldn't have anything like the size Dennis has and won't like the physical stuff, but ball in hand he is probably the fastest player in Westmeath.  Davy Gavin (younger brother of Kieran) is also a first cousin.
I'm not sure how far on Egan is in his recovery, but there aren't many attacking options on the bench.  Gavin, Gilmore and Boland are backs.  Malynn a midfielder.  And the remainder are all more comfortable on the half-forward line.  A very young bench, McNicholas is still minor.