Slane 2011

Started by beer baron, October 29, 2010, 02:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Yes but music isn't Rubbish because you don't "like" it (and for the record I'm not a big fan of bon Jovi)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 01, 2010, 06:40:43 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 06:30:38 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on November 01, 2010, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 05:01:16 PM
Signs of a good band/singers is the longevity for example i don't like Kylie Minogue,Madonna music but have huge respect for how long they have lasted proving they are not rubbish

King of leon started in the late 90s & would love to last as long as Bon Jovi

Utter Bollocks.

So explain why Bon Jovi have been going for the best part of 30 years?
They do seem to be continuing to live off their work in the first 15 years.

Most rock bands do. for me that's another example, when these guys are long gone their music will still live on.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Maguire01

Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 06:43:21 PM
Signs of a good band/singers is the longevity for example i don't like Kylie Minogue,Madonna music but have huge respect for how long they have lasted proving they are not rubbish

Utter Bollocks.

Most rock bands do. for me that's another example, when these guys are long gone their music will still live on.
I wouldn't say that. Some, yes.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 06:41:23 PM
Yes but music isn't Rubbish because you don't "like" it (and for the record I'm not a big fan of bon Jovi)
I never said it was.
Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 06:43:21 PM

Utter Bollocks.

No they don't. Most bands are out there unknown to the masses writing and playing songs they believe in. Bon Jovi think "What kind of shite will make teenage girls' hearts melt? I know, a ballad about how I'll be there forever and a day".
You're probably right that their music will live on long after they're gone. But again, this does not make them good.

ross4life

Well didn't you say "worse than rubbish" & clearly you don't like them? name the bands going for 20/30 years whom have non- stop great albums/songs (i can't think of many)

When people goes to concerts they mostly want to hear the old/classic hits instead of the new ones.

Maguire01

Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 07:08:04 PM
Well didn't you say "worse than rubbish" & clearly you don't like them? name the bands going for 20/30 years whom have non- stop great albums/songs (i can't think of many)

When people goes to concerts they mostly want to hear the old/classic hits instead of the new ones.
I wouldn't say that Springsteen, Metallica, Pearl Jam or U2 were living off their early stuff.
Having said that, a band that are on the go for 10 years and are at the top of their game for that time are arguably at least as good as a band going far longer and living off their past.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 07:08:04 PM

I don't think I did say that no and yes I don't like them.
I'm not sure what you're getting at with the bands that are around for ages. Bands can have a following for a long time for different reasons. AC/DC have been around for about 30/40 years and they play songs from their whole collection.
My point is that being around for ages doesn't make a band great. Westlife have been around for over 10 years. Great?

ross4life

You may have a point but including Westlife a manufactured/marketed BS in this debate is just wrong.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Why? As far as I'm concerned both Bon Jovi and Westlife are products designed to sell to people who don't really care about music. I accept that Bon Jovi can actually play and they came together before X Factor times but the rest seems very similar to me.

lurganblue

I always think the attitude that the first 2 KOL albums are the best and they have went downhill from then on smacks of "I followed them before they became really big..." crap.

ross4life

For a start Westlife have two members who can sing (fat lad & the gay lad) what exactly to the blonde lads do? eye candy for 16 year old girls??

Then the word "Band" what music instruments do they play? at least Bon Jovi have a bit of talent where they write there own music, two of them can sing & play the odd instrument

P.S lol the thread starter will be wondering what happened to his Slane thread

Maguire01

Quote from: lurganblue on November 01, 2010, 07:58:22 PM
I always think the attitude that the first 2 KOL albums are the best and they have went downhill from then on smacks of "I followed them before they became really big..." crap.
Why, do you think they've all been as good?

Puckoon

Neither Bon Jovi, nor westlife can hold a candle to Robbie Wililams.

Maguire01

Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 08:02:51 PM
For a start Westlife have two members who can sing (fat lad & the gay lad) what exactly to the blonde lads do? eye candy for 16 year old girls??

Then the word "Band" what music instruments do they play? at least Bon Jovi have a bit of talent where they write there own music, two of them can sing & play the odd instrument

P.S lol the thread starter will be wondering what happened to his Slane thread
Although I noticed Jon Bon was leaving some of the higher notes for the contestants last night!

Maguire01

Quote from: Puckoon on November 01, 2010, 08:11:42 PM
Neither Bon Jovi, nor westlife can hold a candle to Robbie Wililams.
:D