The next rule change?

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2010, 02:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Anyone who plays the ball along the ground gets 10 minutes in the sin bin.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

6th sam

There is one rule introduced last year which has created a nightmare for groundsmen.All kickouts are now taken from 1 position centrally on the 13m line.This has resulted in excessive traffic at this point.Particularly for clubs with only 1 pitch this has created excessive wear,divets,potholes,poor grass growth.Our own club has already had to re-sod this area,this year.This will prove to be a massive problem over the years.Why was the rule changed.I would suggest  changing back to the old rule,as the 13m kickout rule has not benefitted the game in anyway,yet it is causing excessive wear to pitches.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: tyssam5 on October 26, 2010, 06:07:54 PM
Player who is fouled has to take his own free kick.

ah yes because that won't promote cynical fouling at all when a corner back finds himself in a scoring position......  ::)

thewobbler

The first and only rule change should be:

"Unless you can conclusively prove that your proposal for change would actually benefit the game, is not designed  to satisfy some whimsical thought that you haven't addressed properly, and is not just for the sake of tinkering, then keep your f**king mouth shut".

robertemmet

Player who is fouled takes the free. Speed the game up and mean that more players have to work on the art of kicking.

Also, a defined summer holiday break for club players so they can organise their holidays/family time.

Canalman

2 points for a point scored from a free. Would soon imo put an end to endless fouling. Worked very well in the floodlit tournament held for many years in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. Bet into us by managers prior to game not to foul and all you heard on pitch was cries of "no foul". Worth a try imo.

Maybe 4 points for a goal also.

Square ball also to be done away with and a "no contact whatsoever" rule for keepers in the small square. Square ball is the cause imo of most problems for refs at club games.

CountyGK

Quote from: aontroim on October 26, 2010, 06:58:29 PM
I heard recently that a rule has been passed that gumshields will be compulsory for all juvenile players for matches & training, but can't find confirmation - anyone know if this is definitely going to happen next year?

i heard something similar. as far as i know, there's a motion going before croke park trying to make it compulsary to wear a gumshield at all levels in matches

fer fox ache

These fuckin' jobsworths can't leave well alone, harking back to a halcyon era that never existed.
I love watching football as it is.
Oul farts talking about how it was when they could land the heavy ball on a farthing from 60 yards despite playing in hob-nailed boots on a field where they'd had shoo the cows off before throw-in.
Utter f**king balls.
Leave the f**king thing alone, too many boys down in Croke Park having to come up with work for themselves to justify their pay-packets.

BarryBreensBandage

Would like to see a rule introduced that allows play to continue after a foul has been awarded, with ref admonishing card or lecture at the end of the attack.

One big annoyance watching Gaelic, especially your own team, is when on a counter attack, a cynical foul is put in.

Free kick. Ref stops play. Looks for guilty player. Gives a talkin to. Produces card. And when all this is done the defending team are all back in numbers, taking all momentum away from the attack.

Quite easy to implement too imo.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Bord na Mona man

More reactionary rubbish from the GAA brass. I remember something similar was tried a few years back in the O'Byrne Cup and it made a dog's dinner of games.

GAA policy is dictated by whims and snap judgements these days. There is little evidence of long term vision.
If this is brought in, and a few high profile managers and journalists criticise it - we'll have backtracking of Dunkirk 1940 proportions.
Just like with every other nonsensical and ill thought out rule change. i.e. Sin bins, enforced subs on yellow, fisted handpasses etc.

What next?
There is not enough high catching in the game - Every third pass has to received over head height, with both feet off the ground.
Players are crowding attackers too much - Every player has to stand in their own painted square.

Denn Forever

As long as they leave the pick up as it is, should be ok.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Quote from: Canalman on October 27, 2010, 04:24:30 PM
2 points for a point scored from a free. Would soon imo put an end to endless fouling. Worked very well in the floodlit tournament held for many years in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. Bet into us by managers prior to game not to foul and all you heard on pitch was cries of "no foul". Worth a try imo.

You don't think this would further encourage diving, the biggest problem in the game?

Maybe 4 points for a goal also.

Are you mad? Why would you want to devalue point scoring, the essential skill of the game?

Square ball also to be done away with and a "no contact whatsoever" rule for keepers in the small square. Square ball is the cause imo of most problems for refs at club games.

I've never understood the belief that goalkeepers need special protection. They're the only unmarked players in the game and the only ones with special exemptions from the rules (pick-up) and yet the only ones with special rules to protect them. Makes no sense to me.

Denn Forever

I've never understood the belief that goalkeepers need special protection. They're the only unmarked players in the game and the only ones with special exemptions from the rules (pick-up) and yet the only ones with special rules to protect them. Makes no sense to me.

Never been a goalkeeper?  Need all the protection we get.

Only 2 rules don't apply to goalkeeers and this is only in the small square.  They can pickup the ball or smother it (be ready to get kicked) or you can't tackle them in the square. 

If they are outside the square, all rules apply.

The square ball is to stop goalhanging surely?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 28, 2010, 11:44:04 AM

Never been a goalkeeper? 

Not in gaelic but in soccer, where, admittedly, the protection afforded goalkeepers is even more ludicrous.

QuoteNeed all the protection we get.

Why do you need more protection than the full back? Corner forward?

thewobbler

I don't get this either Hardy. As a keeper, if you choose to engage in the action, then it should be under the same rules as anyone else. Any other interpretation is making rules for the sake of making rules.

The square ball rule is a necessary evil just as offside is in soccer, it prevents forwards from lingering lazily with intent, and makes them play football instead.