Margaret Thatcher....

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, October 21, 2010, 10:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 30, 2011, 10:47:27 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 30, 2011, 10:28:20 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 30, 2011, 10:26:17 PM
No one is forgiving her sins. She was a hateful individual. But Godwin's aside, she was hardly as bad as the Nazis.
The Nazis never did me a bad turn.
They did outlaw vivisection, created the Volkswagen, made numerous scientific, medical and film advances, invented the sex doll, crime rates were low, and their uniforms were quite stylish.

Then again there was the attempted extermination of the Jewish people (he got to six million), the Lebensraum policy, the persecution of gays, disabled, mentally ill and nearly anyone not Aryan (Slavic people suffered hard, the Dutch didn't have an easy time either), banned all other political parties sending their leaders into exile, attempting to use the 1936 Olympics as a Nazi show-piece etc.

At best, a mixed bag. But then no one remembers Gary Glitter much for his Glam Rock music these days for obvious reasons. :o :o :o

Are you related to Galvin?
MWWSI 2017

Windmill abu

Quoteattempting to use the 1936 Olympics as a Nazi show-piece

It worked as a nazi show-piece

It is also the weakest argument for defending the free world against naziism put forward for world war 2
Never underestimate the power of complaining

glens abu

I am 60 years old next Oct and she was the greatest aul Bastard that ever lived in my lifetime so if I am still around when she dies I will open a couple of bottles and enjoy them.Can't come soon enough,

lawnseed

Quote from: Minder on December 30, 2011, 06:49:56 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 30, 2011, 06:46:00 PM
I hate this sense of revelry in Thatcher's death. How does the death of an 86-year old women make you happy? She is probably willing the grim reaper herself. What she did in the past cannot be rectified. How does her death as an aged woman, living longer than most, make you happy? I know that when she dies the amount of gloating over it (which makes no sense at all, as it suggests her death will make you feel better yet she has managed to live to the ripest age) will be unbearable. I understand her death not being mourned but to celebrate it makes no sense.

I can't really understand it either, perhaps if she died in the mid 80's at the height of her powers you could kind of understand the gloating, but she is 86 ffs. What difference does it make to anyone now living here whether she is alive or dead ?
hell isnt hot enough and will never be full until shes in it. and glens if i'm near you i'll buy you a drink maybe a double
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

glens abu

Quote from: lawnseed on December 31, 2011, 02:59:32 PM
I hate this sense of revelry in Thatcher's death. How does the death of an 86-year old women make you happy? She is probably willing the grim reaper herself. What she did in the past cannot be rectified. How does her death as an aged woman, living longer than most, make you happy? I know that when she dies the amount of gloating over it (which makes no sense at all, as it suggests her death will make you feel better yet she has managed to live to the ripest age) will be unbearable. I understand her death not being mourned but to celebrate it makes no sense.

I can't really understand it either, perhaps if she died in the mid 80's at the height of her powers you could kind of understand the gloating, but she is 86 ffs. What difference does it make to anyone now living here whether she is alive or dead ?
hell isnt hot enough and will never be full until shes in it. and glens if i'm near you i'll buy you a drink maybe a double

Thanks lawn but even if we dont meet up I would say we will have plenty of company that day

ONeill

Drinking to celebrate her death (at 86), to me, seems like a recognition of her life's 'achievements'. I can't get my head around that. I'd reflect on her horrendous legacy and curse her but not pop open champagne to remember what she did.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Trout

Quote from: glens abu on December 31, 2011, 04:40:25 PM

Thanks lawn but even if we dont meet up I would say we will have plenty of company that day

You can both do the Provo chuckle.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Windmill abu

QuoteDrinking to celebrate her death (at 86), to me, seems like a recognition of her life's 'achievements'. I can't get my head around that. I'd reflect on her horrendous legacy and curse her but not pop open champagne to remember what she did.

How stupid are you, it is not a recognition of her life's achievements and nobody is opening champagne to remember what she did. It will be simply celebrating the death of a tyrant.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

ONeill

I must be very stupid indeed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Does this also apply to the Queen? Her being the head of the British War machine, as we were continually told when she visited in May.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Nally Stand

Quote from: Minder on December 31, 2011, 09:09:32 PM
Does this also apply to the Queen? Her being the head of the British War machine, as we were continually told when she visited in May.

Eh...no....what we were continually told was that her visit heralded a new dawn and a mutual respect between Britain and Ireland and that we were showing a "maturity" by welcoming her and thus we would all be helping to develop this magical newfound relationship. Then she spoke a few words of Irish and we were told how honoured we were and how special we were to be afforded the opportunity to hear such a thing and how we would be rude to expect any kind of apology for centuries of genocide... (well, she did speak some Irish after all, isn't that enough!).

Then the day after she left, her government announced it would not release their files into the Dublin-Monaghan Bombings. The mutual respect didn't last long did it?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

MW

Quote from: glens abu on December 31, 2011, 02:48:46 AM
I am 60 years old next Oct and she was the greatest aul b**tard that ever lived in my lifetime

Hmm. Sounds like your lifetime overlapped with that of Stalin...

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 01, 2012, 02:07:56 AM

Eh...no....what we were continually told was that her visit heralded a new dawn and a mutual respect between Britain and Ireland and that we were showing a "maturity" by welcoming her and thus we would all be helping to develop this magical newfound relationship. Then she spoke a few words of Irish and we were told how honoured we were and how special we were to be afforded the opportunity to hear such a thing and how we would be rude to expect any kind of apology for centuries of genocide... (well, she did speak some Irish after all, isn't that enough!).

Then the day after she left, her government announced it would not release their files into the Dublin-Monaghan Bombings. The mutual respect didn't last long did it?
Still, seemed to be enough to convince McGuinness to meet her if she comes back. Is that "maturity"?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 01, 2012, 12:50:09 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 01, 2012, 02:07:56 AM

Still, seemed to be enough to convince McGuinness to meet her if she comes back. Is that "maturity"?

You may ask him. I've said many times I disagreed with him on it.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Main Street

As soon as she exited from Downing Street, she became a shriveled irrelevance.
When she was in power she represented the government. Should she have died in the Brighton bomb, I might well have raised a glass or two in celebration, but now she doesn't matter.
Does it matter that much which party was in government in the UK parliament, or what individual was in which position, over any period of the troubles?
The once powerful British empire has been reduced to an England and a few others doubtfully hanging onto their coat tails. The government of the empire these days is reduced to fighting for the interests of foreign capital and saving the skin of their free market capitalism by imposing the burden of their losses onto the serfs.