Quitting GAA at the age of 18 (Survey Added)

Started by GAA Research, October 21, 2010, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA Research

Folks

A group of us are undertaking some research for a club to 'examine the reasons why there is a drop in team membership around the age of 18 and make recommendations for retaining team members'

We believe this is a very interesting topic and would be relevant to a lot of clubs throughout the country. While we are doing the research in a short period of time we believe the option would be there further down the line for more research to be carried out to add to our findings.

I'm sure most of you could relate to your club having the same problem at some stages throughout it's history and how you either dealt with it or failed to deal with it. We believe many of your views could help us in our research.

Are any of you aware of any similar resarch in this area that has been carried out in the past?

blanketattack

The legal age for drinking alcohol is 18.
Case closed.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

A lot of lads leave at 18 but return playing in their mid-20's early 30's. I did that, now I didn't drop in grade, it was minors and when I went back it was Juniors, no biggie, but I have played with lads who returned like me and many of these lads where ex-county Minors, U-21 & Senior players (brief spells in the league) or Senior, Intermediate or Minor Club players. Many of these lads where still excellent but doomed to Junior football due to drink related weight issues or some lost skills. But many lads will go back.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

southall

I dont think Alcohol is the main reason (although it is a problem in Irish Society).  I think that it is a decline in aspirations amongst 14-18 year olds who have been hit with the realisation factor that they will not emulate their GAA idols (simply because it has dawned on them that they are not good enough, we all remember the one or two superb youngsters who quit when they were 17/18, thats because they were few and far between, but we certainly do not remember the average youngsters, because there were so many). 

So, what do they do?  They give up on that particular area of their life and pursue other avenues to fulfil their needs and wants in the pursuit of happiness.  I presume this is not exclusive to The GAA?!

imtommygunn

Are you talking rural or urban clubs?

For rural clubs university is a big thing. You end up far away and not everyone would be inclined to either a) join new clubs or b)travel home for training even if the home place is in travelling distance.

For urban clubs the above is perhaps also applicable.

From 18 onwards to make it requires a lot of commitment. Up until under 18 most people, within reason, can make it onto "the best" team. Mainly because there is only one in most places. Not everyone will make it onto their clubs senior team. So I guess there's 2 reasons in there 1) commitment requirements and 2) aspirations.

In addition to this I also think it is harder at senior level. Under 18 you go to school with the guys you play with so they're your mates and it's a natural progression to do things after school with your mates. Senior level you won't necessarily know everyone on the team(s). That leaves motivation harder. Also as people's lives tend to diverge from their "peers" when they're 18 you won't be spending as much time in the company of people you play with which makes motivation harder I guess.

All the above and beer and women!

imtommygunn

Ideas to keep players is tough...

- having a "thirds" team in places I think retains players as there isn't the scare of commitment
- putting on training sessions in cities if you have the numbers rather than mandating travelling

It varies from club to club. The carrot of senior football(or county football if you're good enough) helps certain players. Lesser players it is tougher with. (Trust me I was one!) U21 is a good bridging gap. Perhaps downgrading u21 to u20 would also help. (You'd have a better chance of making u20 team as only 2 year agespan)

Jinxy

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 21, 2010, 08:54:17 PM
Ideas to keep players is tough...

- having a "thirds" team in places I think retains players as there isn't the scare of commitment
- putting on training sessions in cities if you have the numbers rather than mandating travelling

It varies from club to club. The carrot of senior football(or county football if you're good enough) helps certain players. Lesser players it is tougher with. (Trust me I was one!) U21 is a good bridging gap. Perhaps downgrading u21 to u20 would also help. (You'd have a better chance of making u20 team as only 2 year agespan)

Excellent point.
Give lads an outlet where they aren't being pressurised about training attendance etc.  and you'll be amazed to see how many ex-players come back.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 21, 2010, 08:50:14 PM
Are you talking rural or urban clubs?

For rural clubs university is a big thing. You end up far away and not everyone would be inclined to either a) join new clubs or b)travel home for training even if the home place is in travelling distance.

For urban clubs the above is perhaps also applicable.

From 18 onwards to make it requires a lot of commitment. Up until under 18 most people, within reason, can make it onto "the best" team. Mainly because there is only one in most places. Not everyone will make it onto their clubs senior team. So I guess there's 2 reasons in there 1) commitment requirements and 2) aspirations.

In addition to this I also think it is harder at senior level. Under 18 you go to school with the guys you play with so they're your mates and it's a natural progression to do things after school with your mates. Senior level you won't necessarily know everyone on the team(s). That leaves motivation harder. Also as people's lives tend to diverge from their "peers" when they're 18 you won't be spending as much time in the company of people you play with which makes motivation harder I guess.

All the above and beer and women!

I'd agree with a lot of that. It's hard to drop out of sport when you are in school if you're any good as you'll be able to make the team and all your friends are playing, as you get older and move away from home it becomes harder, especially if you're unlikely to make the senior/main team.

Finding a solution is almost impossible as the reasons for dropping out are so diverse. One thing that is contributing to drop out and we can address is our fixtures, we should also have a better bridging system (for want of a better term) between minor and senior level. There is no reason we can't have grades at club level, i.e U19, U20 etc. that don't exist at IC level.

What we need to do in the GAA is look at everything together and find solutions that please most people, not everyone.

INDIANA

The average rate in Dublin is roughly 50%.

In my view the ones that want to stay will stay.

We've bent over backwards for some and its a waste of time. Its a lifestyle choice. And its the individuals choice.

demusicman

Underage Football far too competitive. More emphasis on enjoyment and learning the skills. Not win at all costs.

The Worker

work commitments, especially those who are self employed

thewobbler

Gaelic football is a game of individual duels. The only way you can win yours is if you are fit to. And it's staying fit enough to that does it for so many fellas.

sammymaguire

Lads aged 18/19/20 onwards dont want to stand on the sideline as a sub cos adult pride kicks in
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

fitzroyalty

In Lurgan the teams at underage are generally quite strong and are able to compete with the best in the county and numbers is never really an issue despite the amount of GAA clubs. This only really applies to urban teams, but I'm amazed at the number of players I've grown up playing against who now have little if any interest at all in playing football. These are fellas who played on development squads etc and were among the best in their age range at the time. Its a real shame to see such a vibrant underage scene turn to shite when they hit the late teens.

The main reason IMO is alcohol. Ireland has a drinking culture that is bad enough but in Lurgan its a joke. For example, one club has put a huge emphasis on its underage development, not that it never really had to as its the biggest club in the town and was always strong at underage anyway. I see it as no surprise that when it comes to U16/minor level that their success seems to die off, this would also be mirrored with other clubs in the area.

There's a saying round Lurgan that you could pick a team capable of winning the championship just by going through the bars in town - says it all!

Milltown Row2

I have always been keen to encourage our club to enter another team, we currently have three senior football teams, two senior hurling teams playing in All county leagues. we also have Divisional teams in both codes. I find this a great way to encourage lads to play on.

cause they aren't senior standard shouldn't be an excuse to quit playing, if they were good enough then they would get a shot at senior, nobody is turned away some players feel they should be senior but the reality is they are not.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea