Author Topic: Charlie makes GPA team of the yr 2010  (Read 3886 times)

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
Charlie makes GPA team of the yr 2010
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
The nominees for the 2010 Opel GPA Football Team of the Year have been announced today by the Gaelic Players Association. A total of 45 players have been shortlisted for the Team of the Year, while three players also received nominations for the prestigious Opel GPA Footballer of the Year Award.
The shortlist for the Opel GPA Football Team of the Year includes three players for each position reflecting the dominant role played by each individual player during the 2010 season. The list contains players from 13 counties including: Dublin, Down, Cork, Sligo, Roscommon, Kildare, Tyrone, Louth, Kerry, Limerick, Monaghan, Meath and Armagh.
The Opel Football Team of the Year shortlist reflects the most successful counties in this year’s championship with All-Ireland champions Cork receiving a total of nine nominations while runners-up Down received five. Semi-finalists Dublin and Kildare received 5 and 6 nominations respectively.
The three nominees for the Opel Football Player of the year as chosen by the Football Selection Committee are: Bernard Brogan (Dublin); Benny Coulter (Down); and John Doyle (Kildare).
The shortlists were drawn up by a selection committee headed by Chairman Martin McHugh. The winners will be selected by GPA members. The Opel GPA Player of the Year for Football will be announced at the GPA Gala Evening at the City West Hotel on Friday, 5th November 2010.
Commenting on the announcement, Chairman of the Football Selection Committee Martin McHugh said the nominations were a result of considered deliberations by the committee and emphasised that individual performance took precedence over team endeavour: “These type of awards are entirely subjective and don’t always attract everyone’s approval but the over-riding objective is to get the best 15 players for the 15 individual positions,” said the former Donegal All-Ireland winner. “Those of us on the committee believe that the overall aim can be achieved from the 45 players whom we have chosen for the nominations.”
Dessie Farrell, Chief Executive of the Gaelic Players' Association said: “It was a wonderful football season with a thrilling climax and I would like to congratulate the nominees and thank Martin McHugh and his selection committee. The players will now choose the final 15 and their Player of the Year, no doubt generating much debate and analysis in the process. Thanks to Opel for their continuing support of the GPA Player Awards.”
Nominees for Opel GPA Football Team of the Year 2010:
1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin) / Brendan McVeigh (Down) / Alan Quirke (Cork)
2. Charlie Harrison (Sligo) / Seanie McDermott (Roscommon) / Peter Kelly (Kildare)
3. Justin McMahon (Tyrone) / Rory O’Carroll (Dublin) / Michael Shields (Cork)
4. John O’Brien (Louth) / Eoin Cadogan (Cork) / Philly McMahon (Dublin)
5. Kevin McKernan (Down) / Tomas Ó Sé ( Kerry) / Stephen Lavin (Limerick)
6. Graham Canty (Cork) / Conor Gormley ( Tyrone) / Emmet Bolton (Kildare)
7. Paudie Kissane (Cork) / Philip Jordan (Tyrone) / Damien Freeman (Monaghan)
8/9. Paddy Keenan (Louth) / John Galvin (Limerick) / Aidan Walsh (Cork) / Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin) / Daryl Flynn (Kildare) / Dick Clerkin (Monaghan)
10. Patrick Kelly (Cork) / Daniel Hughes (Down) / Alan Costello (Sligo)
11. Martin Clarke (Down) / Joe Sheridan (Meath) / Eamon Callaghan (Kildare)
12. John Doyle (Kildare) / Cathal Cregg (Roscommon) / Graham Reilly (Meath)
13. Daniel Goulding (Cork) / David Kelly (Sligo) / Colm Cooper (Kerry)
14. Donie Shine (Roscommon) / Benny Coulter (Down) / Steven McDonnell (Armagh)
15. Donncha O’Connor (Cork) / Bernard Brogan (Dublin) / James Kavanagh (Kildare)
Nominees for Opel GPA Player of the Year for Football 2010:
Bernard Brogan (Dublin) / Benny Coulter (Down) / John Doyle (Kildare
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:23:26 AM by SLIGONIAN »
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
Re: 3 Sligo players nominated for GPA Team of the 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
Congrats to all 3, it will be interesting to see if Charlie gets it again but with Peter Kelly in the same line i have my doubts. I dont think he'll mind.

I have to say i especially delighted for Costello, he definitly deserved a nomination for an All star and at least he does here, dont think he will get it though.

Fair play to Kelly aswell.

Pity Ross Donovan isnt getting recognised at all, i find that quite bewildering.

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
Re: 3 Sligo players nominated for GPA Team of the 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
Charlie made this team aswell, congrats to him.

Croí na hÉireann

• There's Always Next Year...
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie makes GPA team of the yr 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »
Well done to Charlie although I thought Ross O'Donovan would get it due to being very close in 2008.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
Well done to Charlie although I thought Ross O'Donovan would get it due to being very close in 2008.
Ah ya your right enough, Charlie is better going forward but has defensive weaknesses which are kinda ignored by outsiders seamingly, Ross is our best defender for sure.

RedandGreenSniper

• Gaelic football's best ever full-forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »
Ah ya your right enough, Charlie is better going forward but has defensive weaknesses which are kinda ignored by outsiders seamingly, Ross is our best defender for sure.

Jesus you're fierce hard pleased. He's a very good defender and has added football skills to attack. Donovan a very tigerish defender. If I was an inter-county corner-forward I wouldn't be pleased about either of them marking me.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 02:30:46 PM »

Jesus you're fierce hard pleased. He's a very good defender and has added football skills to attack. Donovan a very tigerish defender. If I was an inter-county corner-forward I wouldn't be pleased about either of them marking me.
Well i am, but ask Ronan Murtagh or Ger Heneghan how good he was on them...Charlie likes to get out in front and i agree with that  but when he doesnt get the ball he tends to foul his man, as he tackles over agressively, he can be a sucker for letting his man in goal side. I just dont trust him defensively as much as Ross. Charlie, is brave, commited wholehearted, great ball carrier, leader in terms of his runs, he is a good reader of the game. As i said above his main weakness is when he is isolated and he tends to foul when he has the hard work done. He also needs to work on his foot passing and sometimes carrys the ball into trouble. But every player has weaknesses, no harm me pointing them out.