Integrated Education?

Started by Maguire01, October 20, 2010, 07:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Surprised that Robinson's comments on the north's education system haven't been mentioned here.

Forgetting the history and the reasons why the current systems exists, what are the views on here? Do the responses from SF and the SDLP represent the broad views of nationalists in the north?

Personally, i'm all for integrated/state education. If people want religious instruction, they can either do it separately within an integrated school, or (preferably) do it outside of school altogether.

From a GAA point of view, there's real potential to open up access to the sport to others if people from 'both sides' were attending the same schools.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 20, 2010, 07:42:05 PM
Surprised that Robinson's comments on the north's education system haven't been mentioned here.

Forgetting the history and the reasons why the current systems exists, what are the views on here? Do the responses from SF and the SDLP represent the broad views of nationalists in the north?

Personally, i'm all for integrated/state education. If people want religious instruction, they can either do it separately within an integrated school, or (preferably) do it outside of school altogether.

From a GAA point of view, there's real potential to open up access to the sport to others if people from 'both sides' were attending the same schools.
Would be interested to know what percentage of pupils actually attend Mass.

ardmhachaabu

I haven't heard what the SDLP have to say about it.  I read what wee Marty had to say and I was a bit surprised considering that they don't want Catholic schools any more than the DUP do.

I have nothing against integrated education per se.  I just think that the best education my sons could have would be one which teaches them the tenets of their faith.  Of course my wife and I will do our level best to make sure the boys know what being Catholic means, that goes without saying. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

The Worker

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 20, 2010, 07:42:05 PM

In practise this does not seem to working when you consider the relevant 'success' of GAA in integrated schools.

One of the reasons for Ulsters revival in gaa terms in the 90s and 00s was due to the strength of the (catholic maintained) college football.

Orior

How many integrated schools put gaelic teams into the schools competitions?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Orior i knew of plenty Catholic primary schools in West Belfast that never had a Gaelic team.

We cant really have kids in Belfast going to schools in the 'other' areas would be unsafe and unwise but maybe in the towns and villages this could work.

My kids go to Whitabbey Primary school. a great school who don't care what religion you are but take in kids from the local area. Prods and Catholics attend, its intergraded in everything but name.

With the drop in numbers of Catholics attending mass on a Sunday maybe the church sees this as the only way possible of keeping the numbers up. I can only see it going one way to be honest
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gerry

my son goes to the school in omagh and has played gaa for his school and club at every under age level.  we sent him and his sister to it because we though it was better school for our children.  Its the same way we sent our youngest to the irish language school beside the killyclogher gaa pitch for the last 3 1/2 years.

i believe you will send your child to the school, where they will achieve their best.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

caughtredhanded

Religous segregation is wrong and entirely unnecessary as I firmly believe it is the parent's role to educate their child in religous matters. This ridiculous situation came about because of the Catholic Church's insatiable need to control every aspect of their parishioners' lives.

I remember as a child the Parish priest just wandering into a class in the local primary school and launching into a rant at kids about faith matters, just bizzare.

supersub

Tried to start a thread about this some months ago, but as it does not get the recognition it deserves (including from our politicians) there wasn't much response!

There is a lot of good work being done by people in the integrated sector to try and bring children together from all sides of the community, be it catholics, protestants, foreign nationals, locals or otherwise - this includes schemes where tournaments with a mix of rugby and gaelic for primary schools are played with two 'opposite' schools so to speak, the mainly prostestant school would get to experience gaa and likewise the catholic one rugby - some of these kids would never have had the chance to mix with opposwite sides never mind play the sports associated with both. In terms of integrated schools playing gaa im not so sure but i think Shimna in Newcastle have a gaelic team, that would be one close to me dont know about other places - suppose it is not much but it is a start with tournaments like the one mentioned for primary schools!

armaghniac

QuoteMy kids go to Whitabbey Primary school. a great school who don't care what religion you are but take in kids from the local area. Prods and Catholics attend, its intergraded in everything but name.

Does  it have 1)a GAA team, 2)  teach Irish or otherwise behave as if it is actually located in Ireland and not Britain?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

caughtredhanded

Quote from: armaghniac on October 20, 2010, 09:39:08 PM
QuoteMy kids go to Whitabbey Primary school. a great school who don't care what religion you are but take in kids from the local area. Prods and Catholics attend, its intergraded in everything but name.

Does  it have 1)a GAA team, 2)  teach Irish or otherwise behave as if it is actually located in Ireland and not Britain?

Why is it important if the Primary school has a GAA team or teaches Irish? Are there not GAA clubs to foster the children's sporting pursuits and Irish classes (I never learn't Irish at PS)

Are we allowing our own political hangups to impact on our children's education?

armaghniac

QuoteWhy is it important if the Primary school has a GAA team or teaches Irish? Are there not GAA clubs to foster the children's sporting pursuits and Irish classes
(I never learn't Irish at PS)

It is reasonable for a school to have sports and if it does then the most popular sports in Ireland should form part of that and teaching Irish is clearly  education and is part of the business of schools.
(I never learn't Irish at PS)

Typical Tyrone person then. Perhaps your English education wasn't great either, as most of us learned.

Are we allowing our own political hangups to impact on our children's education?

Other peoples colonialist political predjudices should not impact on our children's education either.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 20, 2010, 09:39:08 PM

No it doesn't,  does spanish french rugby hockey and other sports. My youngest comes to the club, willl she stay at it? don't know and don't really care

my point is this, its the best school for them to go to, the local catholic school doesn't play gaelic games either, don't know if they do Irish. My Primary school didn't either and it was on the lower falls!!!

Are we talking about Irishness or intergration?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

QuoteAre we talking about Irishness or intergration?

Integration should imply people integrating into the norms of Irish life, not Irish people becoming non Irish. 

Milltown Row2

No it's about intergrating two divided communities. What your saying is making one community change! Aint going to happen.