Cork V Tyrone NFL

Started by never kickt a ball, February 20, 2007, 10:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

No, not having it. Heads need to roll.

I think when the team returns they should be rounded up in a field and made listen to Hugo's country hour on Radio Ulster.

Square one is a nice position.

McMenamin, McMahon, McGee/Carlin,
Harte, Gormley, Jordan,
Hughes, Cavanagh,
Dooher, McGuigan, McGinley,
Mellon, O'Neill, Mulligan

That's our best Championship team.

So, who do we trust in the heat of the SFC? Mulgrew - not convinced the hype is justified. Someone here said put in alot of defensive work - many players including Penrose could do that. We need Mulgrew doing what he's good at. McCullagh - inconsistent. Colm Cavanagh - too early. Tommy McGuigan - no. Cormac McGinley - 2 poor performances in a row.

Open for slating. By the way, this is not a reaction. If you look over my previous match posts I've always said it. Winning handsomely in January/Feb tells you zilch. (the other side of coin dictates that losing heavily should too)

I still think Tyrone are in top 2, but only when 12 of the above 14 are available.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneboi

Quote from: ONeill on February 24, 2007, 09:41:31 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on February 24, 2007, 09:34:15 PM
In both 2003 and 2005 there have been demoralizing defeats in the league

Can't say this is true. Lost to Kerry by 7 in last league game of 2005 but we'd still qualified for semis. No heavy defeats at all in 2003.

I can't recall a hammering like this.

I didnt mean in terms of how much they were beat by but if i remember correctly we did get beat by Roscommon in the first league game in 2003 and that was pretty demoralizing in that it was Mickey Harte's first league game in charge. all im sayin is put this into perspective, its not the end of the world and this defeat wont matter when it comes to championship time. Mickey will get it right.

Orior

Tyrone beaten? Ach dear. Never mind. Sure its all the fault of those colleges for playing Sigerson cup games. Ban all third level edumacation for Mickey.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: ONeill on February 24, 2007, 10:08:38 PM
No, not having it. Heads need to roll.

I think when the team returns they should be rounded up in a field and made listen to Hugo's country hour on Radio Ulster.

Square one is a nice position.

Harte, Gormley, Jordan,
Hughes, Cavanagh,

That's our best Championship team.

So, who do we trust in the heat of the SFC? Mulgrew - not convinced the hype is justified. Someone here said put in alot of defensive work - many players including Penrose could do that. We need Mulgrew doing what he's good at. McCullagh - inconsistent. Colm Cavanagh - too early. Tommy McGuigan - no. Cormac McGinley - 2 poor performances in a row.

Open for slating. By the way, this is not a reaction. If you look over my previous match posts I've always said it. Winning handsomely in January/Feb tells you zilch. (the other side of coin dictates that losing heavily should too)

I still think Tyrone are in top 2, but only when 12 of the above 14 are available.

O'Neill, that team at its best could win another all Ireland but the one I wouldn't have on it right now is Mellon. Has come nowhere near his 05 final display and disappoints me every time. He's capable of far better but there isn't even a hint of good form in his play at the minute. A squad player at best these days, unless he clicks sometime soon.
My forward line would be Dooher, McGuigan, Mulgrew, McGinley, O'Neill, Mulligan, with Cavo, McCullagh, Mellon and maybe Cavanagh Junior as the main back up men. O'Neill, I totally disagree with you on Mulgrew, a superb talent improving rapidly.
Hughes and Cavanagh is the No 1 midfield pairing - Sean really does need Hub with him.
You've mentioned seven defenders there and I'd have no problem with any of them. I also still think McMahon Junior can come good in the half back line with experience and McCaul also looks to be a player with lots to offer in the future, plus McGinley can also do a good job on a certain type of full forward.
That's 22 I've mentioned - add in the two keepers and we have a strong 24, plus there are others outside of that with plenty of improvement in them, so I'm more than optimistic about what we've got to pick from.
There isn't much point in analysing individuals from tonight's defeat too deeply because it was just a poor all round effort, from our least experienced right through to our all stars.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneman

QuoteMcGinley can also do a good job on a certain type of full forward

He might just stick with a dead forward, might..........on a good day....nah fcuk it he'd be roasted there as well.

QuoteMulgrew - not convinced the hype is justified. Someone here said put in alot of defensive work - many players including Penrose could do that

Penrose could. But doesn't. And offers nothing up the other end of the pitch either.

never kickt a ball

Tyrone beaten by rampant Rebels
Cork produced a superb performance to thump Tyrone 0-15 to 0-7 in Saturday's Allianz National Football League Division 1A clash at Pairc Ui Rinn. Tyrone led early on but two points from the superb James Masters helped Cork lead 0-6 to 0-4 at half-time. The dismissal of off-form Owen Mulligan after he appeared to strike Michael Shiels then didn't help Tyrone. The Red Hands completely capitulated in the closing stages as Cork knocked over a succession of spectacular points. James Masters finished with six points for Cork while Kevin O'Sullivan hit five scores. Amazingly, 14 of Cork's 15 scores came from play as their strong running completely unhinged the leaden Tyrone outfit. Tyrone went into the game as strong favourites after their opening wins over Dublin and Fermanagh. In contrast, Cork had been beaten by Donegal and Kerry and most pundits were expecting Mickey Harte's side to maintain their 100 per cent record in the division. However from an early stage, it was clear that Tyrone were struggling.
The Cork half-backs were dominating the Tyrone attackers with man-of-the-match Ger Spillane and Anthony Lynch in especially dominant form. Still, Tyrone kept in touch during the first half with captain for the night Stephen O'Neill knocking over a couple of fine points. Cork led 0-6 to 0-4 at the interval and Masters and O'Neill swapped points early in in the second half which maintained the home team's two-point lead. However, O'Neill then missed a straight forward free for Tyrone and things went from bad to worse when Mulligan picked up his straight red card which is likely to run him out from league action for at least a month. Two more points from Masters and Kevin O'Sullivan's third score extended Cork's lead to 0-10 to 0-5 by the 59th minute. Instead of a Tyrone comeback, things deteriorated still further as Masters, Donnacha O'Connor, O'Sullivan and Kevin McMahon hit four scores in as many minutes to extend Cork's lead to 0-14 to 0-5. Raymond Mulgrew's 67th-minute point was Tyrone's first score in half an hour and while Ryan Mellon added another Red Hand point, Kevin O'Sullivan had the final scoring say in injury-time.

Cork : P O'Shea, E Sexton, M Shiels, K O'Connor, N O'Leary, G Spillane, A Lynch, D Hurley, D Kavanagh, S O'Brien, N Murphy, K McMahon, J Masters, D O'Connor, K O'Sullivan.

Tyrone : P McConnell, D Carlin, C McGinley, M McGee, D Harte, C Gormley, J McMahon, G Cavlan, S Cavanagh, R Mulgrew, O Mulligan, C Cavanagh, C McCullagh, S O'Neill, R Mellon.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6393855.stm

Baile an tuaigh

I understand Mick wants to try out new players and tactics before things get serious. But should he not be trying to get a more consistent team together so they can gell?

Louis the Red

A few of the players would need to take a long hard look at themselves after their performances last night :-[

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 24, 2007, 09:56:38 PM
Someone mentioned that Tyrone drove to Cork this morning. This would explain a lot, as they looked wrecked.

Credit to Cork though. Masters and Shieds especially.

You're right that it looked like they drove down yesterday (Saturday), extremely jaded performance, and not one to judge individual performances by (IMHO), however, they stayed in Cashel on Friday night (could have gone a little closer to Cork). Justin Mc Mahon was encouraging with his intelligent use of the ball.

All credit to Cork though, outstanding full back in Shiels, and Masters created all sorts of problems. If they could play against Kerry with such spirit, determination and self-belief then they would have done a lot better at the business end of the Championship over the last few years. No complaints with the result.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrones own

Harte, Gormley, Jordan,
        Hughes, Cavanagh,

I think i've asked this before O'Neill but why the consistent inclusion of Ryan Mellon from yourself
   and obviously the bearded one, is he reading your posts or what?
   I actually think your on a very short list here who would agree that on his form these past couple of yrs
  that he has much to offer this team.
  Tyrone have had passenger problems down the yrs imo and i believe Mellon fits the mold fairly well to date!

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

never kickt a ball

A win against Donegal on the 10th is a necessity, for Tyrone, to get back on track. However, given Donegal's disappointing show in the McKenna Cup they will be well motivated for a victory. Should be an extremely interesting tie. Looking forward to it already!

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 24, 2007, 09:56:38 PM
Someone mentioned that Tyrone drove to Cork this morning. This would explain a lot, as they looked wrecked.
They went down Friday night. Stayed in a hotel outside Cork. Cashel.

A big defeat will do this Tyrone team the world of good. Some of the young fellas haven't been beaten till now..

Mellon should be a definate starter for Tyrone. But IMO not in the full forward line. He's a great fielder of the ball, esp. coming from the wing forward position! He's also very accurate!

bigpaul

Quote from: ONeill on February 24, 2007, 10:08:38 PM

Harte, Gormley, Jordan,
Hughes, Cavanagh,

Am I missing something?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on February 24, 2007, 08:07:45 PM
"Ger Spillane has Mulligan in his pocket"

See what you mean O'Neill!!!  :D