O'Byrne Cup 2011

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 17, 2010, 11:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Deserved win for a half strength Westmeath against a half strength Dublin side last night, always nice to beat the Dubs. Decent show from the new lads, particularly Finnan at half back and English who kept O'Gara quiet. Glennon got on a lot of ball and in fairness to him used it pretty well, hopefully he will continue to work at that part of his game. Greville always looked dangerous upfront and promises to be a big player for us this year. Midfield were very disappointing and I doubt the two lads were best pleased with themselves this morning. Boyle played well when he came on and looks cut out for the half backs this year, very comfortable in possession. Egan also impressed with his tenacity.

The entertainment only really got going however when Macauley came on wearing underamour, tights and a snood, looked f**king ridiculous. Quickly acquired the nickname Tevez and got a right ribbing anytime he was dispossessed, hopefully that's the first and last time I'll see a fecking snood on a GAA pitch. Conor Jordan would want to harden up and loose the tights as well.

All in all an enjoyable game of football considering the conditions, hopefully the weather will be better on Sun, bring on the students. Heard the Dub dressing room was broken into, not a good week for the Dubs, the county board would want to freshen up their act...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 12, 2011, 02:06:14 PM
Deserved win for a half strength Westmeath against a half strength Dublin side last night, always nice to beat the Dubs. Decent show from the new lads, particularly Finnan at half back and English who kept O'Gara quiet. Glennon got on a lot of ball and in fairness to him used it pretty well, hopefully he will continue to work at that part of his game. Greville always looked dangerous upfront and promises to be a big player for us this year. Midfield were very disappointing and I doubt the two lads were best pleased with themselves this morning. Boyle played well when he came on and looks cut out for the half backs this year, very comfortable in possession. Egan also impressed with his tenacity.

The entertainment only really got going however when Macauley came on wearing underamour, tights and a snood, looked f**king ridiculous. Quickly acquired the nickname Tevez and got a right ribbing anytime he was dispossessed, hopefully that's the first and last time I'll see a fecking snood on a GAA pitch. Conor Jordan would want to harden up and loose the tights as well.

All in all an enjoyable game of football considering the conditions, hopefully the weather will be better on Sun, bring on the students. Heard the Dub dressing room was broken into, not a good week for the Dubs, the county board would want to freshen up their act...

Westmeath were good for their win - Dubs had three starters who'll see championship football this year - some of those lads last night wouldn't even be fifth string material. Nice to see Westmeath with a bit of bite and organisation about them.

Shambles from Westmeath county board - between the some people getting refunds on Sunday and some not depending  - why not stand at the exit and give refunds rather than walking around randomly and the dressing rooms getting broken into last night - games shouldn't be fixed for venues with clowns in charge - thankfully they have CCTV of the guys who broke in.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 12, 2011, 02:06:14 PM
Heard the Dub dressing room was broken into, not a good week for the Dubs, the county board would want to freshen up their act...

Mullingar Gardaí have issued a photograph of their prime suspect:

Anyone who can identify this person should come forward immediately to assist the Gardaí with their inquiries!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mattockranger

looks like a knee injury for Kelly being stretchered off is not a good sign!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

KIDDO 4

DCU,0.17 ,Offaly 0.8  tonight first  round game.

ross4life

Quote from: KIDDO 4 on January 12, 2011, 09:09:44 PM
DCU,0.17 ,Offaly 0.8  tonight first  round game.

Five Roscommon players (N Collins,S Ormsby,D keenan,D O'Gara,D. Shine) started this game so good win for them
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mattockranger

Include Cathal Shine playing with Athlone IT

Peter Domincan Cathal mcHugh with DIT

you guys are building a serious bunch of talented players

is cathal Cregg finished in DCU?
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

ross4life

Quote from: mattockranger on January 13, 2011, 05:39:31 PM

Include Cathal Shine playing with Athlone IT

Peter Domincan Cathal mcHugh with DIT

you guys are building a serious bunch of talented players

is cathal Cregg finished in DCU?

Yep some talent indeed, the one worry is keeping them Ireland when their studies are done.

I think Cregg has another year left not sure is he going to play for DCU though? another is Niall Carty

DCU have some forward line with Murphy (Donegal) & Kelly (Sligo) as well
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: The GAA on January 11, 2011, 10:26:24 PM

Its hard to give DIT any credit when their team is populated by electriians and joiners. They'd hardly have a leaving cert between them

What's the reason for this disrespectful comment? our own Peter Domincan came from NUIG where he got his Degree & his now doing his Masters in DIT

& I'm sure the great Kerry teams of the 70s/80s had plenty of electriians and joiners!

AZOffaly

He's questioning their 'right' to be playing a third level colleges competition, not their right to play football :D

Hardy

I think most apprentices now do parts of their courses at the Institutes of Technology, so I assume the electricians and joiners have every right to play on the college teams.

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2011, 07:27:11 PM
He's questioning their 'right' to be playing a third level colleges competition, not their right to play football :D

I can't speak for the other players but i know the Rossies in DIT have more than a "leaving cert"
& even if the others got in on scholarship then fair play to them!

ck

The college competitions have increasingly lacked integrity over recent years due to the fact that many of them now pull in players onto Mickey mouse courses just to kick some ball. I have learned recently that DIT are the leaders of this, many of their players arent even based in Dublin and head up there for the odd match. I know of at least one example.
I do however like the colleges in the early season cup competitions V the counties as it adds some flavour.

ck

Quote from: ross4life on January 13, 2011, 07:33:37 PM

I can't speak for the other players but i know the Rossies in DIT have more than a "leaving cert"
& even if the others got in on scholarship then fair play to them!

Yeah agree, fair play to them. The players have to get the perks while the last.
However the colleges need to take a look at themselves and ask where their competitions are going if this trend continues. Croke Park run the competitions and would appear to turn a blind eye. I was briefly involved in Sligo IT and we at the time felt we should be at it too seeing as the others were at it. The sports scholarships (DCU, DIT, Cork) are a smoke screen for getting ball players into courses they otherwise would not qualify for. Many cannot complete the course.

INDIANA

Jesus Christ some of the national univeristies are far worse then DIT when it comes to ahem - college admissions :D