Pitch invasions to be made a criminal offence

Started by andoireabu, October 13, 2010, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: andoireabu on October 13, 2010, 09:32:09 PM

Im starting to get fed up with all this nonsense.  The GAA isn't what is used to be and its not the way it was when i was growing up.  Every year it something new being needed or changed and its making a balls of the whole thing.   

I remember sitting in the car with no seatbelt, sitting in cafes and on buses and being choked to death by smoke. Change like that is usually for the better. People adapt and get used to it.  Of course the GAA now is different from what it was when you were a young fella. What do you expect? Things to stay the same? The old ritual of being lifted over the turnstiles at Croke Park is long gone, but is the AI final really any less of an occasion because of it?

I think people are pissed off at being told what to do when told they can't go on the pitch anymore. It's an old entitlement, and there's nothing harder to take away from people than something they've come to think of as being entitled to.

I think there's an element of the traditional Irish mistrust of authority and resentment at being told what to do.

Mine isn't a popular opinion but I personally think that this disrespect for authority is an aspect of Irish culture that has long outlived its usefulness.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 16, 2010, 03:26:16 AM

Im starting to get fed up with all this nonsense.  The GAA isn't what is used to be and its not the way it was when i was growing up.  Every year it something new being needed or changed and its making a balls of the whole thing.   

I remember sitting in the car with no seatbelt, sitting in cafes and on buses and being choked to death by smoke. Change like that is usually for the better. People adapt and get used to it.  Of course the GAA now is different from what it was when you were a young fella. What do you expect? Things to stay the same? The old ritual of being lifted over the turnstiles at Croke Park is long gone, but is the AI final really any less of an occasion because of it?

I think people are pissed off at being told what to do when told they can't go on the pitch anymore. It's an old entitlement, and there's nothing harder to take away from people than something they've come to think of as being entitled to.

I think there's an element of the traditional Irish mistrust of authority and resentment at being told what to do.

Mine isn't a popular opinion but I personally think that this disrespect for authority is an aspect of Irish culture that has long outlived its usefulness.

Jaysus it's got nothing to do with disrespect for authority. If anything the GAA is the group which most people respected the authority off in Ireland. It's to to with a valid GAA tradition being taken away from the very people who make the GAA what it is.

Does anybody know how many people whom I'm assume died at the U2 concert last time round, out of interest?

I see Croke Park has also had the following prototype health & safety signs installed around the stadium to ensure crowd safety:
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Aerlik

In WA, you get an automatic $5K fine for entering either subiaco or the WACA grounds before the permitted time.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

andoireabu

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 16, 2010, 03:26:16 AM

Your mention of seatbealts and smoking is fair enough because people generally come of badly from those but there has never been a death from a pitch invasion in 125 years of the GAA.  It's the way that it is being forced on people that is annoying me the most as i always thought everyone from club upwards had a say and the vast majority didn't want the barriers or the pitch invasion done away with.  change is generally a good thing when the benefits are seen but change for the sake of change is not good.  the changes to rules that don't need fixed, barriers where they are not needed, politicians sticking their nose is where it is definately not wanted is not a direction i want to see the GAA taking.  they have their own procedures for dealing with problems and if they are not up to scratch then it is an internal problem to sort out, not David Forde or any politician for that matter.

Lifting people over the turnstiles is gone but there was enough people through the gate to make it a great occasion, however i personally think it would have been better to see a crowd of cork fans under the Hogan watching Sam being lifted high.  If it means that there has to be staggered entrance times after the match then that is a good change but there should be enough sane people to control the gobshites.  if the reason for stopping pitch invasions is to leave way for a fancy presentation in the middle of the field with the highest bidders name on the podium then this is not a good change. (Even if it takes a few years)  if this happens then it is a terrible insult to the people who were used as an example as to why pitch invasions are a bad idea ie. Hillsbourgh
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Pearse

In my honest opinion i think that is a joke, i think pitch invasions should still be aloud as they always were untill the GAA started bringing in new and stupid rules. I think they have been a part of the GAA tradition and should not be made as a criminal offence it is the stupidist thing i have ever heard.

I know some pitch invasions can be bad, with officials getting attacked etc, but that didn't stop the GAA years ago. They are starting to talk alot of nonsense, but this is only my opinion.