Ulster Bank apologises to Orange Order in Gaa row

Started by Minder, October 11, 2010, 10:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/Ulster-Bank-apologises-in-GAA.6574064.jp

A row between the Orange Order and Ulster Bank has been settled following a "sincere apology" to the loyal order from the company.

Orange Order Grand Secretary Drew Nelson had written to Ulster Bank asking for "sponsorship or support" for next year's Twelfth celebrations, following the company's backing of the Gaelic Athletic Association.

Mr Nelson took the step after receiving reports of members of staff at the bank's Castlewellan branch wearing Down GAA shirts while serving customers in the run-up to last month's All-Ireland gaelic football final.

The grand secretary had written to Ulster Bank saying: "As a responsible stakeholder in society the Loyal Orange Institution is keen to encourage local businesses and personalities to become more involved with the local community and its activities.

"With this in mind, and given the recent display of encouragement for the County Down gaelic football team, representatives from the institution would be keen to meet with you to discuss how the bank can also engage with and support the local Orange lodges in the Castlewellan area in terms of community development and sponsorship or support for Mini-Twelfth or Twelfth of July related festivals in the near future."

Mr Nelson said the Twelfth's 500,000-strong audience would provide Ulster Bank with a "unique opportunity to reach a massive community base in one single-day event".

In reply, the grand secretary has now received a letter of apology from a member of the bank's senior management team.

It reads: "I am obviously aware of the discomfort caused to your members as a result of our support for the Down gaelic football team. I can assure you that we had no intention other than to celebrate their success in the All-Ireland championship.

"You will appreciate that Down's first final appearance for 16 years generated a lot of interest, especially since a colleague based in our Newry branch plays for the team."

The letter continues: "If we failed to control our enthusiasm in participating with other businesses in Castlewellan's "red and black" celebrations, then I sincerely apologise. I hope you will accept that our actions were in no way intended to be provocative, and that any offence we have caused is entirely unconventional."

An Orange Order spokesman said Mr Nelson had accepted the bank's apology, and would now be seeking a meeting about sponsorship.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Disgraceful back pedalling by the Ulster Bank. There was no calls for an apology and McCausland is just a bitter excuse of a man to go looking for one.

Bring back Poots. FFS, even Campbell was better than this p***k. I chose my words carefully.
Testing Accessibility

Franko

Quote from: ziggysego on October 11, 2010, 11:22:09 AM
Disgraceful back pedalling by the Ulster Bank. There was no calls for an apology and McCausland is just a bitter excuse of a man to go looking for one.

Bring back Poots. FFS, even Campbell was better than this p***k. I chose my words carefully.

It was Drew Nelson - not Nelson McCausland.

Your sentiments are broadly correct though!

ziggysego

A small error on my behalf, but still. Ulster Bank shouldn't be apologising.
Testing Accessibility

ludermor

I think as apologies go it is worded pretty well and shows up the pettyness of thsoe looking for the apology

muppet

Quote from: ludermor on October 11, 2010, 11:35:57 AM
I think as apologies go it is worded pretty well and shows up the pettyness of thsoe looking for the apology

If we ..........then we apologise.

Not much of an apology really and very well worded.
MWWSI 2017

Norf Tyrone

To be fair should they be wearing sporting jerseys in a work environment? Do they not have a neutal work environment policy?

Not saying I agree/ disagree, just surprised at a company leaving themselves vulnerable.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ziggysego

I want an apology from the Nationwide for supporting the Norn Iron. I feel really comfortable passing their premises and feel my human rights have been violated.
Testing Accessibility

saffron sam2

Quote from: ziggysego on October 11, 2010, 11:49:32 AM
I want an apology from the Nationwide for supporting the Norn Iron. I feel really comfortable passing their premises and feel my human rights have been violated.

Are you drunk?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ziggysego

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 11, 2010, 11:52:11 AM

Are you drunk?

No, touch of a head cold though.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

This is a crock of shit. Ulster Bank should simply have written back and said that they have a programme of sports sponsorship, but not political demonstrations.

The jersey at work thing is probably technically illegal, but this too is a crock of shit. Supporting a local sporting team, of any sort, should not be defined as a problem. Ban the Rangers/Celtic crap if you wish, but any local team should be able elicit support in their own area.

Ulster's parent RBS sponsor
* RBS First Tee Mentoring Program is providing young people in America with learning opportunities and life skills through golf
* NatWest CricketForce has become England's biggest volunteer initiative
* RBS RugbyForce, working with UK rugby clubs for a better place to play.

If they have 6 nations T-shirts are they discriminating against Belgians, who do not have a rugby team?

I suggest that every GAA club in Ireland write to their local Ulster bank asking that they not apologise for sponsoring the GAA.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ludermor

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2010, 11:55:45 AM
This is a crock of shit. Ulster Bank should simply have written back and said that they have a programme of sports sponsorship, but not political demonstrations.

The jersey at work thing is probably technically illegal, but this too is a crock of shit. Supporting a local sporting team, of any sort, should not be defined as a problem. Ban the Rangers/Celtic crap if you wish, but any local team should be able elicit support in their own area.

Ulster's parent RBS sponsor
* RBS First Tee Mentoring Program is providing young people in America with learning opportunities and life skills through golf
* NatWest CricketForce has become England's biggest volunteer initiative
* RBS RugbyForce, working with UK rugby clubs for a better place to play.

If they have 6 nations T-shirts are they discriminating against Belgians, who do not have a rugby team?

I suggest that every GAA club in Ireland write to their local Ulster bank asking that they not apologise for sponsoring the GAA.
www.rugby.be you should apologise immediaty to the Belgian Rugby Board

armaghniac

Quotewww.rugby.be you should apologise immediaty to the Belgian Rugby Board

But as they are not in the 6 nations, RBS do not sponsor them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

SuperMac

Ridiculous. Britian is only 13 miles from Antrim, the sooner the OO and the rest of the filth head home the better.

MCMLX

Quote from: ziggysego on October 11, 2010, 11:53:25 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 11, 2010, 11:52:11 AM

Are you drunk?

No, touch of a head cold though.

Are you Polish? We have a Polish girl in work, her English is quite similar to yours.