Astronomy Thread

Started by ONeill, October 06, 2010, 09:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Gentleman Tony.

You have one yourself? Serious amount of research needs done before buying!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 27, 2012, 11:40:01 PM
Gentleman Tony.

I have a really old Tasco that I got for my birthday about 20 years ago and took it up from the home place a few weeks ago to give to the eldest but the field of view is so small and the mount so lightweight that it's hard to maintain any focus on even something as big as the moon. I'm seriously considering investing in a new one but not crazy money either*. I'd say the night skies of the past few weeks have seen sales shoot up!

*But I also want to buy an iPad and the missus won't let me I've decided I can't buy both. ;)

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 27, 2012, 11:49:25 PM
Gentleman Tony.

I have a really old Tasco that I got for my birthday about 20 years ago and took it up from the home place a few weeks ago to give to the eldest but the field of view is so small and the mount so lightweight that it's hard to maintain any focus on even something as big as the moon. I'm seriously considering investing in a new one but not crazy money either*. I'd say the night skies of the past few weeks have seen sales shoot up!

*But I also want to buy an iPad and the missus won't let me I've decided I can't buy both. ;)

Buy the telescope and then insist that it needs the google skymap app on ipad to for it to work. I'm like an agony uncle.

No idea which to go for. Been reading up on them on and off for months, but in fairness, that's probably going to be the way it'll be for a good few months yet!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 28, 2012, 12:07:50 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 27, 2012, 11:49:25 PM
Gentleman Tony.

Buy the telescope and then insist that it needs the google skymap app on ipad to for it to work. I'm like an agony uncle.

No idea which to go for. Been reading up on them on and off for months, but in fairness, that's probably going to be the way it'll be for a good few months yet!
We're man, it's what we do! That's why we don't have wardrobes full of clothes and shoes we don't wear. Take your time, choose carefully and use it when you buy it. It's genetically pre-destined that you spend months researching every possibility.

I've already been spending ages working out various iPad permutations and I don't have that many choices!

Lecale2

I took this on Monday night.

ludermor

Did you leave the lense cover on?

Tony Baloney

Hardy

Lecale2

Jesus boys that's fine photograph of the new Moon over belfast.

ludermor

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 28, 2012, 12:43:40 PM
Jesus boys that's fine photograph of the new Moon over belfast.
Ah im kidding, it is a cool photo.

Dougal Maguire

Just after seeing the International Space Station cross the sky there.
Careful now

Sandino

I see some people had great views of the Northern Lights last night did any one mange to see them. Posible views tonight also I think.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

orangeman

Quote from: Sandino on April 24, 2012, 02:27:08 PM
I see some people had great views of the Northern Lights last night did any one mange to see them. Posible views tonight also I think.

What time and where's the best place to go to ?

ONeill

Had a good go on a GTX-70 recently, including tonight. http://www.amazon.com/Meade-ETX70AT-Telescope-Tripod-Software/dp/B00005ATSR

It's fine for constellations and the moon but perhaps not strong/sharp enough for planets.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

How wrong I was. Took the scope out for a lookaround tonight and noticed Saturn was lurking due south. Managed to get the eye pieces lined up and it blew my mind - the rings were as clear as day. Great personal moment. It can only happen the first time once.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.