Astronomy Thread

Started by ONeill, October 06, 2010, 09:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

If you look up in any direction you'll see them. Bastard clouds.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Hardy

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Syferus

That Sun yoke is a pure bollix. Who knew ice melts who it gets hot?

Orior

Should really have been in the Death Notices thread.

Anyway it is interesting to hear that planet earth started life with no water, which is required to sustain life. Scientists suggest we got water from a comet. Therefore life as we know it was created by a comet.

Worryingly though, it could also be destroyed by a comet. So lets just go out and party. Ladies, drop me a pm.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hereiam

Explain this one to me. If an asteroid hit the earth with even a couple of 1000 tons of water where did the rest come from. Are they saying that every last drop of water on this planet came from asteroids or did the water just multiply to fill the oceans.

deiseach

Quote from: Hereiam on November 29, 2013, 12:51:08 PM
Explain this one to me. If an asteroid hit the earth with even a couple of 1000 tons of water where did the rest come from. Are they saying that every last drop of water on this planet came from asteroids or did the water just multiply to fill the oceans.

I presume that back in the early days of the Solar System the skies were littered with comets. There was a lot of material out there and the Sun's gravity was pulling things into its orbit which in turn were forming into planets, moons, asteroids and comets. So impacts from comets might have been a frequent event, and a lot of them would have been a lot bigger than a few thousand tons.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hereiam on November 29, 2013, 12:51:08 PM
It rained for 40 days and 40 nights.

Syferus

laoislad

Quote from: Syferus on November 29, 2013, 01:50:16 PM
de comet survived.

Awful shame it didnt land in the middle of Roscommon.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mouview