Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel White

Fully developed it could put West Belfast on tbe map.  Big games and concerts like U2 , Rolling Stones etc etc could rejuvenate the area.  But this would not go down well with the ' wallow in our own sympathy ' saddos who live in the area

bridgegael

Flaten it and stick a tescos or sainsburys there and move on.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Maguire01

Quote from: Nigel White on July 26, 2015, 12:39:28 AM
Fully developed it could put West Belfast on tbe map.  Big games and concerts like U2 , Rolling Stones etc etc could rejuvenate the area.  But this would not go down well with the ' wallow in our own sympathy ' saddos who live in the area
Where are these concerts coming from? There is already scope for 40,000 capacity concerts in Belfast, but they rarely if ever happen. That won't change just because there's a big flash stadium. Even if the odd concert did happen, it might be good for Belfast in general, but would do little for West Belfast.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sidney on July 25, 2015, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2015, 06:00:16 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 23, 2015, 01:43:58 PM
Quote from: Sidney on July 19, 2015, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 19, 2015, 03:22:01 PM
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Clones looking well today.
Ulster final day in Clones should have a preservation order attached to it.

Hurling people talk about Munster hurling final day in Thurles being special. Ulster football final day in Clones is just as special and to do away with it forever in favour of moving to a soulless flat-pack cavern in Belfast would, in my view, be an act of desecration.

Agreed. I have been going to Clones for over 40 years & while it certainly isn't the last word in sophistication, the atmosphere on a big day can't be beaten.

If we move to a soulless all seater modern concrete stadium on the Falls Rd we will lose something that will be very hard to replace.

Is Croke park soulless?  Casement to be built to a mini version of Croke... If its built, I'm sure like most stadiums of a similar style in all the major cities around the world, it will be grand... Given half the chance Clones would change if given free money
If Croke Park doesnt have at least 70,000 people in it, yes, it's generally soulless. In fact, if the crowd is below 40,000, it's one of the most soulless venues I can think of.

I can name about 20 matches I've attended in the last five years at Croke Park which have had atmospheres that make a wet Sunday in Holyhead seem exciting in comparison.

Clones is special. Casement Park will never be.

I'm going to throw it out there, I reckon you've never been to Clones, as you are full of shite
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sidney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2015, 09:41:14 AM
Quote from: Sidney on July 25, 2015, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2015, 06:00:16 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 23, 2015, 01:43:58 PM
Quote from: Sidney on July 19, 2015, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 19, 2015, 03:22:01 PM
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Clones looking well today.
Ulster final day in Clones should have a preservation order attached to it.

Hurling people talk about Munster hurling final day in Thurles being special. Ulster football final day in Clones is just as special and to do away with it forever in favour of moving to a soulless flat-pack cavern in Belfast would, in my view, be an act of desecration.

Agreed. I have been going to Clones for over 40 years & while it certainly isn't the last word in sophistication, the atmosphere on a big day can't be beaten.

If we move to a soulless all seater modern concrete stadium on the Falls Rd we will lose something that will be very hard to replace.

Is Croke park soulless?  Casement to be built to a mini version of Croke... If its built, I'm sure like most stadiums of a similar style in all the major cities around the world, it will be grand... Given half the chance Clones would change if given free money
If Croke Park doesnt have at least 70,000 people in it, yes, it's generally soulless. In fact, if the crowd is below 40,000, it's one of the most soulless venues I can think of.

I can name about 20 matches I've attended in the last five years at Croke Park which have had atmospheres that make a wet Sunday in Holyhead seem exciting in comparison.

Clones is special. Casement Park will never be.

I'm going to throw it out there, I reckon you've never been to Clones, as you are full of shite
As usual, you'd be wrong. I've been to Clones seven times and to three Ulster finals. It's my favourite venue in Ireland, just ahead of Killarney, and well ahead of Thurles, where I'm off to right now.

bridgegael

Quote from: hardstation on July 26, 2015, 11:51:08 AM
Quote from: bridgegael on July 26, 2015, 07:49:18 AM
Hard to see Sainsburys moving a couple of hundred yards up the road but great idea. Keep them coming. You have potential to be the new Armaghniac.

ok pedantic paul.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

trileacman

Quote from: hardstation on July 25, 2015, 10:37:33 PM
Seemingly nobody wants to come to Casement. As imtommygunn suggested, any chance of getting our county ground back, you land grabbing feckers?

Where are you currently hosting all the games Casement used to have?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on July 26, 2015, 11:51:08 AM
Quote from: bridgegael on July 26, 2015, 07:49:18 AM
Hard to see Sainsburys moving a couple of hundred yards up the road but great idea.

perhaps a site swap would keep everyone happy?

QuoteKeep them coming. You have potential to be the new Armaghniac.

I still think the original is the best.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

I have a great affinity with Clones, I have many happy memories of going to it with my kids and my dad. But the north is coughing up the cash so Casement appears to be the only show in town. It would be a shame if with Ravenhill and Windsor being delivered that this opportunity would be lost.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2015, 11:05:41 AM
I have a great affinity with Clones, I have many happy memories of going to it with my kids and my dad. But the north is coughing up the cash so Casement appears to be the only show in town. It would be a shame if with Ravenhill and Windsor being delivered that this opportunity would be lost.

The IFA is run by the biggest bunch of muppets in town and at least twice they pricked around so much that funding was nearly lost for all 3 grounds and yet a quick glance online will show Windsor park now in week 63 of develpment and it looks ace.

http://www.irishfa.com/stadium-development

Meanwhile this is all the GAA have to show for at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CApN0sr9pEE

The whole thing has become a farce

JPGJOHNNYG

A quick reminder this thread will soon be celebrating its 5th birthday. What exactly has happened since then??? The GAA need to stop wasting more time submit new plans now or look at other sites and sell Casement. Why is it taking 6 months to 'modify' the existing plans?

theskull1

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 27, 2015, 11:24:32 AM
A quick reminder this thread will soon be celebrating its 5th birthday. What exactly has happened since then??? The GAA need to stop wasting more time submit new plans now or look at other sites and sell Casement. Why is it taking 6 months to 'modify' the existing plans?

Consultants and Architects making plenty of dough taking extended vacation time abroad maybe?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on March 16, 2011, 11:39:24 PM
Quote from: ck on March 16, 2011, 11:36:49 PM
Is there a time scale on the Casement development?
There won't be a ball kicked in the new Casement for at least 5 years, IMO.

Shoulda put a quid on that back then.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2015, 07:29:17 PM
Quote from: hardstation on March 16, 2011, 11:39:24 PM
Quote from: ck on March 16, 2011, 11:36:49 PM
Is there a time scale on the Casement development?
There won't be a ball kicked in the new Casement for at least 5 years, IMO.

Shoulda put a quid on that back then.
In time for the next Gareth Brooks tour.. 

tyroneman

I've been to Clones plenty and had plenty of great days out but in the cold light of day it's a sh!thole with substandard facilities for the modern era.

Yes it has history but so does Casement and many other venues.

Any stadium that is packed to the rafters or at least with 80-90% filled capacity will generate a good atmosphere.

Clones at below 60% is as lifeless as anywhere else.