Author Topic: Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.  (Read 399206 times)

trailer

• View Profile
Re: Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.
« Reply #3105 on: February 20, 2020, 10:33:28 AM »
I can't believe people are still crying about the size and location of the stadium when built. This money is for a stadium and not developing players. Get over it ffs.
Thats not correct. If the GAA took the £15m away, Stormont would have still ponied up enough for a significant upgrade of Casement or a greenfield 20k stadium further out of town. So you have a decent, fit for purpose venue and cash for development.

Instead the GAA had to play oneupmanship and shoehorn in Belfast's biggest venue onto a site that it couldn't fit and lied to try.  This is all about having a shinier venue than soccer and nothing to do with what Ulster or Antrim actually need.

The GAA wanted a stadium that added something to the other Ulster stadia rather than being for Antrim alone, one of the counties with the least support. The revised plan is a for stadium whose capacity is little more than the previous one.

So they shouldn't have gone with Casement then.

It is in the biggest centre of population and it has a railway and motorway nearby. Where would you put it?
....somewhere else near Belfast...

You are falling for the spin. Casement or nothing were the only options.

Even then, with VAT on tickets in the 6, you would need to get 43,200 punters at any the Ulster final in the 6 to match the gate. So even the too big Casement was too small.

Why? THE f**k! Do you keep going on about VAT?

Baile Brigín 2

• View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: February 20, 2020, 10:52:12 AM »
Its the first time I have mentioned it.

Its the reason UF are held in Clones and why Clones exists as it does.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: February 20, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »

No. And No.

Baile Brigín 2

• View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: February 20, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »

No. And No.

Yes and whats your theory of how a town of 1,600 right on the border, thats the 4th biggest in the county ended up with a 36,000 ground?

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: February 20, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »

No. And No.

Yes and whats your theory of how a town of 1,600 right on the border, thats the 4th biggest in the county ended up with a 36,000 ground?

You'd have to take a look at the make up of the Ulster Council at the time Clones was invested in and therein lies the truth.

Evil Genius

• View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: February 20, 2020, 12:11:44 PM »
Note that last years Windor Park cup final attendance was less than 6,000, previous year was <12,000.
My point was that the new Casement would not have to try very hard to beat the attendance figures that Windsor Park manages to get.
And I guess  most people can accept that Belfast needs a Windsor Park or at least does not begrudge it existing.
The point about Windsor was that it was no longer fit to stage international football matches according to UEFA/FIFA rules.

Meaning we HAD to have a new stadium, whether full or empty, for one game a season or ten, with a rebuilt Windsor being "the only show in town".

As things turned out, imo they should have gone for a larger stadium (25-30k?), since it now pretty much sells out all our 6 or 8 internationals a season, but that's by the by. Point is, they needed a modern stadium and they built it, pretty much within budget and on time.

And at the same time Linfield, who still own the Freehold though not the stadium, can continue to use the stadium for their own games whilst receiving rent to compensate them for the fact that it's much too big for their personal needs.

I don't see why the Ulster Council and Antrim couldn't have reached a similar arrangement to the IFA and Linfield, esp since Antrim surely can't be as greedy a shower of hooers as those Linfield bastards  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: February 20, 2020, 12:24:14 PM »

No. And No.

Clones obviously got big games as it had a railway station and a lot of fans travelled to games by train, up until the late 1950’s.

Casement held some up until the early years of the troubles, as car travel/roads improved. Presumably because of the troubles, Ulster finals were moved back to Clones.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: February 20, 2020, 12:32:08 PM »

No. And No.

Train station.
Nothing at all to do with VAT.

Baile Brigín 2

• View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: February 20, 2020, 12:41:50 PM »

No. And No.

Train station.

Belfast doesn't have one?

It closed in 1957.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: February 20, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »

No. And No.

Train station.

It closed in 1957.

Clones you mean!

Big money was spent updating Clones in the 80's when a certain Mick Feeney was secretary.

Baile Brigín 2

• View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: February 20, 2020, 12:53:02 PM »

No. And No.

Train station.

It closed in 1957.

Clones you mean!

Big money was spent updating Clones in the 80's when a certain Mick Feeney was secretary.
He argued that Clones got UF's because its on a trainline. As opposed to Belfast, Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Newry, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim, Enniskillen etc. Talking gash that man.

There seem to be two questions here.

1. How did Clones get Ulster finals in 1909. Not a clue.

2. How did Clones keep them. Partition, the troubles, vat, internal politics are all factors.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:02:57 PM by Baile Brigín 2 »

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: February 20, 2020, 02:16:37 PM »
He argued that Clones got UF's because its on a trainline. As opposed to Belfast, Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Newry, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim, Enniskillen etc. Talking gash that man.

2. How did Clones keep them. Partition, the troubles, vat, internal politics are all factors.
[/quote]

Clones was the most important train junction in Ulster and so more suitable than Monaghan or Enniskillen as both those lines went to Clones.  Some of the other venues you mention are less central e.g. Derry and in others you would have been extremely lucky to get a GAA ground built in 1909. e.g. Antrim. And I the people in Clones worked to build their venue and showed an interest, which people in West Belfast do not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: February 20, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »

Clones was the most important train junction in Ulster and so more suitable than Monaghan or Enniskillen as both those lines went to Clones.  Some of the other venues you mention are less central e.g. Derry and in others you would have been extremely lucky to get a GAA ground built in 1909. e.g. Antrim. And I the people in Clones worked to build their venue and showed an interest, which people in West Belfast do not.
[/quote]

I’d say Portadown was the most important railway junction in Ulster back then. Hardly the ideal place to build a big stadium then, and probably even now.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: February 20, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
I’d say Portadown was the most important railway junction in Ulster back then. Hardly the ideal place to build a big stadium then, and probably even now.

Exactly, only Tony Fearon would have went to games there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rosnarun

• Maigheo Abú
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: February 20, 2020, 03:33:11 PM »
I think the big error in finance people are making is think that if a stadium is not built all that money would be available for other purposes ,
The stadium would be financed by The Government Crokepark and future Revenue from the stadium Via Loans  , which should come in many forms not just Matches,
it should not effect the daya to day Runnung cost of the GAA ata all.
 P ui C maheve overspent but there is a class stadium there now and the argument can go on as long as Ir likes ,
whereas he arguments are going on and nothing to show for it in Belfast
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere