Author Topic: Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.  (Read 386089 times)

Armagh18

• View Profile
Re: Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.
« Reply #2970 on: January 21, 2020, 06:32:35 PM »
It doesnít have to be a mid-point to be an acceptable venue though. Just as long as itís not a ridiculous trek.
6 of the 9 counties are within an hours drive from Belfast. I donít think thatís an unacceptable journey to a game especially to play or spectate in a state of the art stadium.

Which 6 counties?

Crossmaglen, Teemore, Trillick, Steelstown, Attical are they within an hour?
Cross certainly is...

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 21, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
Cross certainly is...

You'd need a full hour and a minute or two more to drive to Belfast, unless you are a rulya altogether or one of these Creggan people that think they live in Cross.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:01:31 PM by armaghniac »
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 21, 2020, 09:37:24 PM »
In fairness Antrim games could be held in a phone box for all that turns up.

Stop being a dick
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 22, 2020, 10:57:36 AM »

Stop being a dick

Truth hurts.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: January 22, 2020, 11:42:10 AM »

Stop being a dick

Truth hurts.

Truth is that Tyrone are a single code county, who pay lip service to hurling and didn't start playing football till Mickey Harte took over
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 22, 2020, 04:17:46 PM »

Stop being a dick

Truth hurts.

Truth is that Tyrone are a single code county, who pay lip service to hurling and didn't start playing football till Mickey Harte took over

Antrim are a no code county. Who can't get 26 players out in the same f**king jerseys.

LCohen

• View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 22, 2020, 06:52:44 PM »
Antrim, Armagh, Down, Derry, Tyrone and Monaghan.
Maybe stretching it with Monaghan but not by much!!

I donít know why you are mentioning all of those places.
For what itís worth, Cross and Attical are about an hour. Teemore isnít in a county I mentioned.

The fact is, Belfast isnít a very long trip from any of the above counties and I donít believe it is unacceptable to ask teams and fans from those counties to travel that distance for an Ulster semi final.

I think it would be fair to say that you would struggle to legally drive from any part of Co Monaghan to Casement in a hour and 99% of the county is definitely not within an hour of Casement.

Similarly South Armagh or West Tyrone would be a struggle.

There are not great alternatives to Casement but just think we should confine ourselves to the truth when making the case for or against Casement

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 22, 2020, 07:47:16 PM »

Stop being a dick

Truth hurts.

Antrim are a no code county. Who can't get 26 players out in the same f**king jerseys.

No code county? Very good,  continually hammering Tyrone in hurling since year dot. Tyrone has 15 Ulster titles at football and a no code county has 9, weíve more than Derry and 9 more than Fermanagh. But seeing as you live in the present they donít count.

As for not getting out the jerseys,  that was the kit mans fault, he made a mistake (bit like Tyrone teams entering the Ulster club championship)  but sure, carry on

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #2978 on: January 22, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »
Antrim, Armagh, Down, Derry, Tyrone and Monaghan.
Maybe stretching it with Monaghan but not by much!!

I donít know why you are mentioning all of those places.
For what itís worth, Cross and Attical are about an hour. Teemore isnít in a county I mentioned.

The fact is, Belfast isnít a very long trip from any of the above counties and I donít believe it is unacceptable to ask teams and fans from those counties to travel that distance for an Ulster semi final.

I think it would be fair to say that you would struggle to legally drive from any part of Co Monaghan to Casement in a hour and 99% of the county is definitely not within an hour of Casement.

Similarly South Armagh or West Tyrone would be a struggle.

There are not great alternatives to Casement but just think we should confine ourselves to the truth when making the case for or against Casement
There are of course outliers. There are some parts of Antrim that would be a struggle to make Casement from in an hour.
The vast majority of Armagh is within the hour.
As I said, Monaghan is a bit of a stretch but not by a great deal. A huge part of Tyrone can make Casement in an hour.

Anyway, this was based on the assertion that ďGeographically, Casement doesnít lend itself well to hosting Ulster semi finalsĒ.
It often does.

Fionntamhnach

• "The truth is not a popularity contest..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: January 22, 2020, 08:45:32 PM »
It doesnít have to be a mid-point to be an acceptable venue though. Just as long as itís not a ridiculous trek.
6 of the 9 counties are within an hours drive from Belfast. I donít think thatís an unacceptable journey to a game especially to play or spectate in a state of the art stadium.

Which 6 counties?

Crossmaglen, Teemore, Trillick, Steelstown, Attical are they within an hour?

The only way you'd get from Trillick to Belfast within an hour legally is by helicopter. No way could you do it by road unless you were recklessly driving. Fintona to Belfast is 1h 20m on a clear road at best, maybe 1h 15m if it's dry and no other traffic. Only once you get on to the M1 outside Dungannon can you go full pelt towards Belfast.
"I can sum it all up in three words: Evolution is a lie." 😵

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: January 23, 2020, 10:14:41 AM »

Stop being a dick

Truth hurts.

No code county? Very good,  continually hammering Tyrone in hurling since year dot. Tyrone has 15 Ulster titles at football and a no code county has 9, weíve more than Derry and 9 more than Fermanagh. But seeing as you live in the present they donít count.

As for not getting out the jerseys,  that was the kit mans fault, he made a mistake (bit like Tyrone teams entering the Ulster club championship)  but sure, carry on

There are clubs in Tyrone with more All Stars than Antrim has a county. A County with a population of over 600k.
It's almost 70 years since they won a USFC. But they're a sleeping giant with massive attendances!

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #2981 on: January 23, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »
An awful lot of that 600k would not be inclined towards things GAA.
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: January 23, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »
Yes theres no doubt Antrim Gaa has been punching far below its weight for far too long. No one here disputing that. But theres a new board in place since Saffron Vision instigated a thorough root and branch upheaval that has resulted within a few short years in many very positive things that bode well for our future. We have Gaelfast, a programme that allows Antrim Gaa to tackle head on its biggest obstacle particularly in the city.....soccer. Many schools are participating that had zero interest in Gaa, teachers are being put through coaching courses and while it will take time for all this to manifest itself at senior level, at least that process has begun. Saffron Business Forum is thriving, and more recently Club Aontroma have been rejuvenated. The business community are buying in....something instigated by Declan O Neill from St Endas Omagh and his " Towards The Millenium" programme for Tyrone Gaa back in the early nineties. You see how that turned out, and spawned a lot of copycat versions in other counties. I should remind you Trailer that Tyrone were no world beaters back then, but a bit of organisation and structure got your show on the road and that is exactly what we are doing in Antrim right now.

I recall being part of a county squad that drew with Tyrone in a league playoff in Coalisland back in late eighties, and a draw got us promotion at Tyrones expense (before Declan O Neill got his project off the ground) so theres a lot of people here go back that far and know where we stand as a proud dual county that's now moving again in the right direction.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: January 23, 2020, 11:10:18 AM »

Stop being a dick

Truth hurts.

There are clubs in Tyrone with more All Stars than Antrim has a county. A County with a population of over 600k.
It's almost 70 years since they won a USFC. But they're a sleeping giant with massive attendances!

600k? Hmmmm is that representative of the GAA community?

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: January 23, 2020, 11:31:37 AM »
Yes theres no doubt Antrim Gaa has been punching far below its weight for far too long. No one here disputing that. But theres a new board in place since Saffron Vision instigated a thorough root and branch upheaval that has resulted within a few short years in many very positive things that bode well for our future. We have Gaelfast, a programme that allows Antrim Gaa to tackle head on its biggest obstacle particularly in the city.....soccer. Many schools are participating that had zero interest in Gaa, teachers are being put through coaching courses and while it will take time for all this to manifest itself at senior level, at least that process has begun. Saffron Business Forum is thriving, and more recently Club Aontroma have been rejuvenated. The business community are buying in....something instigated by Declan O Neill from St Endas Omagh and his " Towards The Millenium" programme for Tyrone Gaa back in the early nineties. You see how that turned out, and spawned a lot of copycat versions in other counties. I should remind you Trailer that Tyrone were no world beaters back then, but a bit of organisation and structure got your show on the road and that is exactly what we are doing in Antrim right now.

I recall being part of a county squad that drew with Tyrone in a league playoff in Coalisland back in late eighties, and a draw got us promotion at Tyrones expense (before Declan O Neill got his project off the ground) so theres a lot of people here go back that far and know where we stand as a proud dual county that's now moving again in the right direction.

I wish Antrim well, I really do, but complaining about the size of Stadiums when they brought about 500 fans to an USFC game V Tyrone last year just fucks me off.