Home Heating Oil - Beware!!!

Started by Tommo2, October 06, 2010, 09:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I know there are different models and pressures but does anyone know roughly how much oil is burned per hour in the average household?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on December 24, 2010, 10:43:46 AM
I know there are different models and pressures but does anyone know roughly how much oil is burned per hour in the average household?
It's hard to quantify but I know a fill (2500 litres) does us over a year so probably works in around a rough 100 quid per month. I know that's not the question you asked...

ONeill

....probably impossible to answer with different sizes of houses etc. I was asking because I headed out this morning to a garage and filled a couple of small barrells (40L in total) in case things were stretched over the next week. I was wondering if you'd burn 10L in a day.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gerrykeegan

The wife was sick last year and she was house bound for the winter. Heat on from when I left for work until we went to bed (mostly) went through about 700 L in 4 months. Would work out at 6 L's a day. Old boiler probably not that efficient. Hope that might help.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 24, 2010, 12:00:50 PM
The wife was sick last year and she was house bound for the winter. Heat on from when I left for work until we went to bed (mostly) went through about 700 L in 4 months. Would work out at 6 L's a day. Old boiler probably not that efficient. Hope that might help.
You should have threw another blanket on her.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 24, 2010, 12:10:56 PM
You should have threw another blanket on her.

A bit sicker than needing  a blanket Tony
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: ONeill on December 24, 2010, 10:43:46 AM

17200 Kwh worth.
you need to know the calorific value of the oil (58 sec or kero or red diesel) to convert it back to actual litres.

wavesofTORRES

Ill raise you on that! Got 1000ltrs 8 weeks ago the heating packed in the other nite so naturally I thought the pipes had froze. I nearly passed out when I realised the oil had run out. Thats £60 a week in oul money herself and the kids are using when Im out knocking my pan in. Have now turned the thermostat down and lettin it run 24/7. Thinking of getting a condenser after xmas I think I will need to do something with the house and 2 granny flats to run off it. Dont say get rid of the grannys ther both empty ther for my day when the kids or wife kick me out.

comethekingdom

Are those condensing boilers good yokes? My existing one is over 20 yrs old and is a rent on fuel - just wondering is it worth replacing with a condenser unit?

mournerambler

Quote from: comethekingdom on December 26, 2010, 11:28:49 AM
Are those condensing boilers good yokes? My existing one is over 20 yrs old and is a rent on fuel - just wondering is it worth replacing with a condenser unit?

An old oil boiler could be as little as 60-70% efficient, a modern HE (condensing) oil boiler would be about 85% efficient & a gas HE could be as high as 92% efficient, in laymans terms this means that for every €100 you spend on fuel you are getting €92 returned as heat, so you could possibly save €30 per €100, new HE boilers don't come cheap though but as a long term investment it should pay for its self no bother.

comethekingdom

Quote from: mournerambler on December 26, 2010, 11:39:45 AM

An old oil boiler could be as little as 60-70% efficient, a modern HE (condensing) oil boiler would be about 85% efficient & a gas HE could be as high as 92% efficient, in laymans terms this means that for every €100 you spend on fuel you are getting €92 returned as heat, so you could possibly save €30 per €100, new HE boilers don't come cheap though but as a long term investment it should pay for its self no bother.

Cheers. Must look into it in the new year. I wonder is there still grants available for upgrades??

lawnseed

try www.gumtree-belfast for a boiler, there are hundreds on there
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

comethekingdom

Quote from: lawnseed on December 26, 2010, 04:29:48 PM
try www.gumtree-belfast for a boiler, there are hundreds on there

Heres the correct link lawn seed

http://belfast.gumtree.com/

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: rosnarun on October 06, 2010, 09:58:28 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 06, 2010, 11:16:20 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 06, 2010, 10:32:33 AM
Quote from: clarshack on October 06, 2010, 09:50:20 AM
i have a lock on the oil tank so i'm sure no one stole any of it. i
You have to put a lock on your heating oil tank?
Are there people who roam around in the night time  conspiring to syphon the fuel out of your oil tank?
True Diesel?

they roam around the day time as well main street doesn't have to be dark. i was talking to a lad who is building a house and they cleared out rads, hot tank , copper pipping the lot
think that's bad we had a shed full of turf taken

FFS Ros, had ye it still bagged, some balsy **** that would come in and spend half the day bagging turf in your shed and then taking off down the road with in a tractor.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Armaghtothebone

Yes and no!!

An oil condensing is a good idea but if you go and spend say a grand on a condenser and then run it through a 30 yr old central heating system it wont give you the payback you might expect.
You'd want to get roomstats, TRV's and brand new radiators.

It's an oldie but goodie ...the first place to make savings is insulation.
A brand new build house has more insulation than you'd believe.