Author Topic: Sligo NFL 2011  (Read 9466 times)

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
Sligo NFL 2011
« on: October 01, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »
Donegal v Sligo 7.30 5th Feb
Meath v Sligo 2.30 20th Feb
Sligo V Tyrone 2.30 27th Feb
Sligo v Derry 2.30 March 13th
Antrim v Sligo 2.30 March 20th
Sligo v Laois 2.30 April 3rd
Kildare v Sligo 2.30 April 10th

Some exciting fixtures, 4 away 3 at home makes it very tough, but hopefully we'll stay up. We will learn alot about ourselves very quickly in this division and I expect a lot of lessons to be given to us over the course of it especially against the physicality of Meath, Kildare, Derry and Tyrone. A crazy giving us 2 aways to start off. I think we will struggle tbh. We have to beat Antrim away and Laois at home to have any chance, i dont rate donegal either, but McGuinness is there manager and he is the most negative around and playing a team in early feb where conditions wont be good will tough.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

• View Profile
Re: Sligo NFL 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »
We have to go to Antrim AGAIN! FFS that must be 3 or 4 years on the trot now. Have the two teams relegated from Div 1 at home and as usual (it seems to me anyway) only 3 home games. I'm a suspicious hoor but I'd love to know how these things are decided.

The opening game (which if common sense prevails should be in Ballyshannon) is a crucial one, could be telling in the end.

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
We have to go to Antrim AGAIN! FFS that must be 3 or 4 years on the trot now. Have the two teams relegated from Div 1 at home and as usual (it seems to me anyway) only 3 home games. I'm a suspicious hoor but I'd love to know how these things are decided.

The opening game (which if common sense prevails should be in Ballyshannon) is a crucial one, could be telling in the end.

7.30 would suggest Ballybofey under lights to me, i think its a joke we have 2 away straight away, your correct its the 3 time in a row at least and in concective yrs we have to go to casement, hopefully 3rd time lucky as we are yet to win there.

Arent the County Board given a provisional fixture list and it goes from there, Im sure they asked questions about the 2 openers being away, going to Antrim 3 yrs in a row.

I dont mind going to ballybofey tbh as its not far anyway from us, ballyshannon is a heavy pitch so it wont suit us imo... either way we have to hit the ground running.

ross4life

• Connacht U-21 Champions 2014,15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:01:35 AM »
Difficult set of fixtures for ye! Laois at home looks to be the easiest on paper? Donegal usually carry there Mckenna Cup form into the early start of the league while Meath are generally slow starters

Tyrone & Derry won't mind playing in Sligo while i don't understand why ye are away to Antrim again

The final game Kildare v Sligo could be a huge game that decides it all?

P.S I'm sure you'll do better in division 2 than us in 2008

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paddypastit

• View Profile
    • A tuppence ha'penny
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:46:49 PM »
Sligonian - neither Meath nor Kildare would be regarded as physical teams.  Kildare play at a decent tempo but Meath are eminently beatable on any pitch. Sligo have started the last two league campoaigns slowly - something that they need to correct this time out.

I agree with Ross4life thet that last game against Kildare could be critical but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it ended up as a shoot out for a promotion and League final place
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:47:40 AM »
Sligonian - neither Meath nor Kildare would be regarded as physical teams.  Kildare play at a decent tempo but Meath are eminently beatable on any pitch. Sligo have started the last two league campoaigns slowly - something that they need to correct this time out.

I agree with Ross4life thet that last game against Kildare could be critical but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it ended up as a shoot out for a promotion and League final place

I disagree with your point on meath and kildare not being physical, there alot bigger physically than us, is it even worth debating its that obvious. I disagree that we need to rectify starting slowly, honestly fck the league, get the team sorted, going for the fitness advantage at the start just gives a false impression of where the team is at. I disagree that we will going for league final place at the end, if we dont beat Donegal we will be relegated and im not to bothered as long as i see improvements towards the end with a fb, chb sorted and other areas strengthened.

paddypastit

• View Profile
    • A tuppence ha'penny
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:54 PM »
Sligonian, don't visistr the board that often but man you are wayyy off the mark on a number of counts here. Meath people are embarrassed by the concept of being regarded as physical. Meath teams of the past were - not these babies. They might have a few long fellas but not strong. Maybe Banty will fix that but they're soft at the core in the eyes of Meath people whpo feel they have a long way to go.  Kildare play at a high tempo and play through the ball which I agree Sligo don't do... but they are not particularly strong - well conditioned yes but that is a different thing.

As for the point about starting slowly, well frankly that is not worth debating. The ONLY way that this Sligo team will maintain its progress is by making sure it stays in Div 2. so that it is guaranteed a decent standard of football in every game that it plays over a period of years - not a few weeks over the summer.  If they don't get a good start, that is in serious question - look at TYrone and Derry last year if you need guiodance and I shouldn't even mention Westmeath... Fine, the league fianl might be overcooking expectations but if they don't start with that ambition, they will have problems. I would completely agree re finding a CHB - which is the biggest by far of our problems - there are options elsewhere but believe me, from experience, 2011 is ALL about the league. Winning Connaught and then looking towards 2012 in Div 3 is failure.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 11:48:50 PM »
Sligonian, don't visistr the board that often but man you are wayyy off the mark on a number of counts here. Meath people are embarrassed by the concept of being regarded as physical. Meath teams of the past were - not these babies. They might have a few long fellas but not strong. Maybe Banty will fix that but they're soft at the core in the eyes of Meath people whpo feel they have a long way to go.  Kildare play at a high tempo and play through the ball which I agree Sligo don't do... but they are not particularly strong - well conditioned yes but that is a different thing.

As for the point about starting slowly, well frankly that is not worth debating. The ONLY way that this Sligo team will maintain its progress is by making sure it stays in Div 2. so that it is guaranteed a decent standard of football in every game that it plays over a period of years - not a few weeks over the summer.  If they don't get a good start, that is in serious question - look at TYrone and Derry last year if you need guiodance and I shouldn't even mention Westmeath... Fine, the league fianl might be overcooking expectations but if they don't start with that ambition, they will have problems. I would completely agree re finding a CHB - which is the biggest by far of our problems - there are options elsewhere but believe me, from experience, 2011 is ALL about the league. Winning Connaught and then looking towards 2012 in Div 3 is failure.
Winning Connacht is everything, everything........ for us in 2011. Its hard to believe that you think this way.

ross4life

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »
Bookies don't fancy Sligo next year

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/nfl-division-2?ev_oc_grp_ids=7425

Good or bad?
Its accurate before a ball is kicked but i still expect us to finish up ahead of Laois, Donegal and Antrim, however everything hinges on the first game, if we lose to Donegal i cant see us beating meath or tyrone and then relegation looms but you never know.

Odds dont mean much, i doubt it bothers roscommon that yer 12/1 and we are 10/3 to win Connacht in 2011.

ross4life

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
Bookies don't fancy Sligo next year

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/nfl-division-2?ev_oc_grp_ids=7425

Good or bad?
Its accurate before a ball is kicked but i still expect us to finish up ahead of Laois, Donegal and Antrim, however everything hinges on the first game, if we lose to Donegal i cant see us beating meath or tyrone and then relegation looms but you never know.

Odds dont mean much, i doubt it bothers roscommon that yer 12/1 and we are 10/3 to win Connacht in 2011.

Not one bit & it's fair to say we both do better when the odds are against us.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »

Th'oul odds didnt bother us too mch in Connacht this year anyways     ;D :D ;D ;D :D ;D :D
2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »

Th'oul odds didnt bother us too mch in Connacht this year anyways     ;D :D ;D ;D :D ;D :D
They didnt bother me in 2007 either when i made 6/1 off our semi final win over yere goodselves and 6/1 on the connacht final

Enjoy Division 4 btw rossfan, back down to reality ;)

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
Just for the record i wont be commenting on here regarding sligo team anymore as i know too many players, im too heavily involved in coaching and its just not worth commenting on sligo matters anymore as my anonmity is gone long ago and whilst i have made many great friends on here and elsewhere and i have made enemies. Consider this my last sligo related post. Ii will continue to post on the general section. This sligo section is dead duck anyway although the views per post are pretty high.

Best of luck in NFL. Up Sligo...

Sligo team is named and despite huge loss in Costello i still expect Sligo to win. We have to. :-\

paddypastit

• View Profile
    • A tuppence ha'penny
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:54:26 AM »
Sligonian, no doubt you'll be calling by. Why should your anonymity be an issue. Surely if you have an opinion, it is worth expressing. Most of us know who each other are. If folk can only comment behind a psuedenom, then maybe they should be elsewhere