national anthem

Started by off the laces, February 20, 2007, 10:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

I keep silent to the end, even when others are roaring around me. However Laoislad, I wouldn't say Ulster fans are any better than their counterparts.
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 20, 2007, 10:36:30 PM
Pisses me right off how people can't stay quiet till the Anthem is over.The Dubs are the worst culprits and really in fairness any of the Southern counties are bad.Have to say the Ulster teams are much more respectfull

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

stephenite

Quote from: 5iveTimes on February 21, 2007, 12:05:58 AM
That is the most embarassing load of sh*te I have ever heard.
It should be BANNED. ESpecially in Croke Park.

I agree it's a load of shite, but why should it especially be banned in Croke Park ?

Onlooker

Having read 5ive Times post, I now realise that "Ireland's Call" is even worse than I thought.  It is really dire and I agree that it should not be played in Croke Park or any GAA ground.

stephenite

Arrah grow up, it's only a song for f**k sakes.

Certain members of the Irish Rugby squad do not see AnB as their anthem, for obvious reasons, thus this song. It's shite but get over yourselves.

Are we going to have to listen to moaning from the likes of 5ive times for evermore on this issue.

The opening of Croke Park was a democratic decision taken by GAA congress - get over i

off the laces

good speak stephenite, its not hard to see which way my comrade from down (five times) voted this issue as you so rightly put it was voted on.The decision stands for the foreseeable future and i think people like FT should start to accept the ruling and stop being so hardline.As for irelands call i think it is is a cheesey song but it is one that the whole team sing and lets them bond (lets face it the team is made up of men from all the provences.
Keeps 'er' straight

sheskin

Why do we need Anthems at matches anyway.
Of much more importance is the news that the League Finals cannot now be held in Croker as the stadium has to be closed to let the grass grow after the internationals and club finals.
This gets my goat.
Here we are giving our stadium to promote our competitor sports and then we cannot hold our own national finals there. Idiots.

realredhandfan

this is a smokescreen - the national league finals must be played in Croke Park.. Must be.. The grass wil lbe grand ffs.. There should be uproar.

tayto

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 20, 2007, 09:46:20 PM
Quote from: ArchieAngel on February 20, 2007, 02:17:15 PM
That's been a major beef for donkey's years! Everyone in Croke Park would claim to be great gaels, would die for Ireland etc (the usual bollox) but hardly any of them know the words of their national anthem. It's a disgrace and embarrassing - say what you like about the English but at least they put their heart and soul into singing their national anthem. The rugby fans wiped our eye the other week by singing it properly!
::)  It's not a f**king singing competition.

exaclty. i know the words i just don't sing. boo feckin hoo  :P

magpie seanie

That sounds like horseshit. How can the club finals be played there if there's a problem?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tayto on February 21, 2007, 10:41:04 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 20, 2007, 09:46:20 PM
That's been a major beef for donkey's years! Everyone in Croke Park would claim to be great gaels, would die for Ireland etc (the usual bollox) but hardly any of them know the words of their national anthem. It's a disgrace and embarrassing - say what you like about the English but at least they put their heart and soul into singing their national anthem. The rugby fans wiped our eye the other week by singing it properly!
::)  It's not a f**king singing competition.

exaclty. i know the words i just don't sing. boo feckin hoo  :P

preachan Tayto?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gnevin on February 20, 2007, 11:58:48 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 20, 2007, 10:36:30 PM
Pisses me right off how people can't stay quiet till the Anthem is over.The Dubs are the worst culprits and really in fairness any of the Southern counties are bad.Have to say the Ulster teams are much more respectfull

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

don't agree then no? Or are the letters on your keyboard not working
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bord na Mona man

A few problems with the anthem.

Firstly it's played to close to the throw in, where the tension is at it's highest.
Also it's often played too slowly and the crowd get impatient.
Especially in Munster, the pipe bands at matches completely murder the anthem with their screeching music. Notice how the crowd always start singing the anthem way off key and then give up about half way out of embarrassment.

Also the lack of amplification is a problem. On terraces like Hill 16, where the PA system is traditionally poor, you have the crowd singing the anthem faster than the band are playing it. Eventually confusion reigns and so the crowd just start the cheering and yelping.

The anthem has been so abused over the years by crap bands, terrible tinny recordings on PA systems and loud mouth supporters, that it would take a long time to reclaim as a moment of reverence.

sureyouwill

The Spainards are the same, no matter when they are playing in any international competition - not one fecker seems to know the words!!!

SlimShady

Quote from: 5iveTimes on February 21, 2007, 11:42:11 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 21, 2007, 12:37:57 AM
Arrah grow up, it's only a song for f**k sakes.

Certain members of the Irish Rugby squad do not see AnB as their anthem, for obvious reasons, thus this song. It's shite but get over yourselves.

If certain members of the squad cannot bring themselves to sing the National Anthem, then why are they representing Ireland in the first place? They`ll be changing the name of the team next. Why dont they just call it the Four Provinces and play in a different colour as well. Maybe Royal Blue would suit some of them.
We`ll be banning Shamrock on St Patricks Day next because it offends Humphries.

what an arsehole you are  :D