Eoin Bradley's amended sentence

Started by T Fearon, September 27, 2010, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I see "Ulster's top player's" ban (for striking a referee) has been commuted from 48 weeks to 24 weeks on appeal, magically making him available for most of the league and the Championship (however brief Derry's dalliance with that tournament is likely to be). In the assumption that no new eveidence was brought to the appeal (ie he struck a referee violently), and therefore no reasonable cause for his original sentence to be reduced was presented, is this not an absolute disgrace, making a mockery of what ever disciplinary system is in place in GAA circles, not too mention putting two fingers up at all referees? So much for the "Give Respect, Get Respect" mantra as well.

fer fox ache

Tony this has been discussed at length on the Derry thread, it's news that's a week old, you finger is surprisingly far off the pulse.

supersarsfields

What I don't understand is how it was reduced? I thought the minium suspension for any assault on the Ref was 48 weeks. Or am I wrong on that?
Or did they change the catagory of the offence? If so what to?

Overthebar!

it was originally category 5 but they reduced it to 4. for what reason remains to be seen. i'd say brennan said he would only take the job if he had a full quota of players to choose from...id expect paddy to rejoin the panel too

nrico2006

Surely the Derry County board do not have the authority to amend the tariff that is stipulated for offence categories, a shambles if true.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lynchbhoy

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 27, 2010, 11:20:17 AM
Surely the Derry County board do not have the authority to amend the tariff that is stipulated for offence categories, a shambles if true.
while it is wrong, there are multiple precedents in other counties where the county board have done similar.
Dara O'Se, Corks Frank murphy spring to mind...

T Fearon

It makes a mockery out of the rule book and shows total disrespect for referees and is effectively condoning assaults on referees, albeit from so called top players. This farce should be exercising all gaels insted of fences on Hill 16 etc

EC Unique

Every man and his dog know that Bradly assaulted the referee with a strike to the face. The Derry CB are just showing themselves to be weak but as LB says it is not the first time this has happened. It should not be allowed and the Ulster Council or Croke park should launch an immediate investigation.

Any other sport and he would not be on the pitch for at least 2 years and rightly so.

How have the referees in Derry reacted to this disgrace?

It is bringing the whole GAA into disrepute >:(

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2010, 11:28:45 AM
It makes a mockery out of the rule book and shows total disrespect for referees and is effectively condoning assaults on referees, albeit from so called top players. This farce should be exercising all gaels insted of fences on Hill 16 etc
it does and I would prefer the GAA to throw the book at all these cases, not just those that hit refs, but those that hit off the ball, those players that dive and also when incidents occur when water carriers/managers/selectors interfere with players/play etc

then there are the crowds and individuals that hit refs and players - all one off things, but there is a need for the GAA to not only have policy and procedure but to enforce them as well.
this will soon sort out the problems - esp if it means that clubs ae relegated to junior for fans misdemeanours etc

JMohan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 27, 2010, 11:22:21 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 27, 2010, 11:20:17 AM
while it is wrong, there are multiple precedents in other counties where the county board have done similar.
Dara O'Se, Corks Frank murphy spring to mind...

Too right

the wildebeest man

Morally the wrong thing to do, as it was with Paddy a couple of years ago. Can't see any good coming of it though. But spare me the hand-wringing.

Quote from: EC Unique on September 27, 2010, 11:30:44 AM
Every man and his dog know that Bradly assaulted the referee with a strike to the face. The Derry CB are just showing themselves to be weak but as LB says it is not the first time this has happened. It should not be allowed and the Ulster Council or Croke park should launch an immediate investigation.

Any other sport and he would not be on the pitch for at least 2 years and rightly so.

How have the referees in Derry reacted to this disgrace?

It is bringing the whole GAA into disrepute >:(

That is not what he said, unless Darragh O'Se and Frank Murphy were involved with Derry.

EC Unique

I meant it in the conext of all County boards in general. They tend to do what suits their county's interests instead of what is in the interests of the GAA and fair play. Measures should be put in place by Croke Park to insure this can not happen and County boards are forced to keep to the rule book.

JMohan

There's been plenty of cases where things happened that were never even in front of a CB's CCCCC

the wildebeest man

Quote from: EC Unique on September 27, 2010, 12:14:36 PM
I meant it in the conext of all County boards in general. They tend to do what suits their county's interests instead of what is in the interests of the GAA and fair play. Measures should be put in place by Croke Park to insure this can not happen and County boards are forced to keep to the rule book.

Sean McCague tried that with Ross Carr and big Geoffrey, but it didn't last long. In an ideal world you're spot-on, but how feasible is it for Croke Park even to try that?

Donkeywalloper

It will hardly come as much of a suprise to anyone. Derry county board change suspension of leading county player. How long to next major episode in what is the soap opera of derry football.