Tom Elliott new UUP Leader

Started by Dougal Maguire, September 22, 2010, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

If Kennedy wins, McCrea and McCallister should probably just join Alliance.

Eamonnca1

Mike Nesbitt has thrown his hat in.

Quote14 March 2012 Last updated at 12:17 ET

Mike Nesbitt to contest UUP leadership

The Strangford MLA is expected to formally launch his campaign at Stormont on Thursday.

John McCallister and Danny Kennedy will also contest the leadership of the party.

Lagan Valley MLA Basil McCrea has told the BBC he will not be seeking the UUP leadership, but would be backing Mr McCallister.

Candidates have until Friday to hand in their nomination papers, with the leadership election due on 31 March.

Mr Nesbitt's supporters say he has received the backing of four MLAS , two peers and a number of young unionists.

About as moderate as they come, I'd imagine.  Would he have have a chance of getting in though?

amallon

Its hard to like Nesbitt he comes across as being insincere and smarmy.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: amallon on March 15, 2012, 07:57:43 AM
Like a politician then!

Would say his leanings would be too liberal to collect enough votes. I've nevee heard him being associated with of the loyal orders.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2012, 08:44:33 AM
Quote from: amallon on March 15, 2012, 07:57:43 AM
Like a politician then!

Would say his leanings would be too liberal to collect enough votes. I've nevee heard him being associated with of the loyal orders.
I don't think he has any connection to the loyal orders. I don't think McCallister has either, but i'm open to correction. He seems to have more support than McCallister in terms of MLAs.

I'm not actually sure there's much difference between him and McCallister in terms of being liberal - the biggest difference is the 'opposition' question.

Agent Orange

Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy will not stand for the leadership of the Ulster Unionists.

He said he had decided that a potentially difficult and divisive leadership election was not in the interest of the party.

Nominations for the leadership will close at 17:00 GMT on Friday.

The Newry and Armagh MLA said he had not made any deals with the other candidates John McCallister or Mike Nesbitt.

Maguire01

The UUP set to have its first leader that's not an orangeman then.

Nesbitt looks most likely to win. Maybe he can stabilise the party, and even bring out some 'stay at home' voters.

Maguire01

Nesbitt wins with 81% of the vote (536 vs 129). He was always the favourite, but that's some margain - bigger than Tom's win over Basil.

Tony Baloney

They consistently get the wrong man. Empty, Tom and now Nesbitt.

trileacman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 31, 2012, 02:24:12 PM

Who or what is the right man?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Maguire01

I'd prefer McCallister myself, but i'm not a UUP voter. I'm not sure there was/is a 'right' man for them though. Sine the DUP went MOR, there's not much to differentiate the two.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on March 31, 2012, 02:30:49 PM

Who or what is the right man?
None of the above.

If I was voting it would be McCallister all day long. Nesbitt is just a smarmy ****, at least McCallister was unequivocal in his stance on opposition, McNarry etc.

They have an uphill task ahead of them as it is very cosy at the top table.

Eamonnca1

Well at the risk of sounding like an American "I like this guy because he'd be fun to have a beer with" voter, I actually like Nesbitt.  Always enjoyed watching the banter between him and the likes of Paul Clarke and Adrian Logan on UTV Live at Six.  And so far the stuff he's been saying is moderate and catholic-friendly.  It's a long way from the sash-wearing croppie-lie-down Trimble era.  Let's see what he's made of.

ziggysego

But he's not saying anything, just media friendly sound bites. The few policies he does say, he does a U-turn on. McCallister would have been a much stronger leader for the UUP. Under Nesbitt, they'll continue to decline.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: ziggysego on March 31, 2012, 11:46:04 PM
But he's not saying anything, just media friendly sound bites. The few policies he does say, he does a U-turn on. McCallister would have been a much stronger leader for the UUP. Under Nesbitt, they'll continue to decline.

Opposition was never going to happen though, it isn't legislated for and won't be whilst Sinn Fein/DUP (and I can't see any difference in them) are in "power".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"