Tom Elliott new UUP Leader

Started by Dougal Maguire, September 22, 2010, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

The fact that he says young Loyalists could learn a lot from the GAA and should join, speaks volumes.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: ziggysego on September 25, 2010, 07:10:50 PM
The fact that he says young Loyalists could learn a lot from the GAA and should join, speaks volumes.

Do you believe hi or thinks he gives a shit? Playing to the crowd?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Quote from: Minder on September 25, 2010, 07:51:58 PM

You're a cynical bloke. What about his own crowd? Mightnt be the most welcome thing to be saying in some people's eyes.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on September 25, 2010, 08:13:39 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 25, 2010, 07:51:58 PM

You're a cynical bloke. What about his own crowd? Mightnt be the most welcome thing to be saying in some people's eyes.
Peace and reconciliation is a lucrative business Zig. His mate Mr. Mary McAleese would expect him to say nothing else.

andoireabu

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 25, 2010, 06:13:49 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on September 25, 2010, 01:54:05 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 25, 2010, 01:32:13 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on September 25, 2010, 12:55:03 PM
Says a lot about Elliot when you have Jackie McDonald in today's Irish News saying how much he enjoyed attending last weeks All Ireland and how young loyalists could learn a lot from it

It is just wrong that someone like Jackie McDonald is in Croke park at an AIF

If he paid his money then fine but if he got in free so someone would see what a lovely gesture it is then balls to it.  And im not saying that "true gaels" should be in front of the queue, one mans 70 euro is as good as the next but when club members can't get a ticket because they are being given away for this nonsense does my head in.

Which club is Trevor Ringland a member of that he can get tickets so handy?
He was in a corporate box so he wouldn't have been paying €70 anyway, nor would he have been taking a ticket away from a club member. I think it's no harm for a couple of tickets to be used in this way, especially if a positive message goes back to 'the other side'. It also shows up the likes of Elliott for the bigots they are.
when i posted i didn't know he was in a corporate box so fair enough nobody missed out on a ticket.  what i would ask is what message is going back to the "other side"? i'm all for people from the non GAA community watching our games and seeing what they mean. I take a great sense of pride in it.  But what good is puting Jackie McDonald in a corporate box doing for community relations?  I see no difference in him than i do in Martin McGuiness.  Two men who held a certain point of view and then took up another one because it suited them.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: andoireabu on September 26, 2010, 03:06:18 AM
when i posted i didn't know he was in a corporate box so fair enough nobody missed out on a ticket.  what i would ask is what message is going back to the "other side"? i'm all for people from the non GAA community watching our games and seeing what they mean. I take a great sense of pride in it.  But what good is puting Jackie McDonald in a corporate box doing for community relations?  I see no difference in him than i do in Martin McGuiness.  Two men who held a certain point of view and then took up another one because it suited them.
I couldn't agree more
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

T Fearon

Jackie Mac (and a group of his fellow travellers, ie it wasn't just one ticket) were Corporate Guests last Sunday of our esteemed President, who herself takes time out at least twice a year to go to Croke Park amid arranging visits to Ireland by Elizabeth Windsor.

Great picture in to-day's Sunday Life of Jackie cosying up to former President Paddy Mc Flynn at Croke Park, with the wine glasses and napkins in the background.

By the way in response to his crossing of the rubicon last Sunday,risking life and limb etc, Jackie now wonders if he can bring himself to do this, why can't young nationalists not learn to play the fife and lambeg drum up in Sandy Row! I kid you not, read the article!

Maguire01

Says a lot about Elliot when you have Jackie McDonald in today's Irish News saying how much he enjoyed attending last weeks All Ireland and how young loyalists could learn a lot from it

If he paid his money then fine but if he got in free so someone would see what a lovely gesture it is then balls to it.  And im not saying that "true gaels" should be in front of the queue, one mans 70 euro is as good as the next but when club members can't get a ticket because they are being given away for this nonsense does my head in.

He was in a corporate box so he wouldn't have been paying €70 anyway, nor would he have been taking a ticket away from a club member. I think it's no harm for a couple of tickets to be used in this way, especially if a positive message goes back to 'the other side'. It also shows up the likes of Elliott for the bigots they are.
I don't have it to hand but it was positive.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2010, 10:57:11 AM
Jackie Mac (and a group of his fellow travellers, ie it wasn't just one ticket) were Corporate Guests last Sunday of our esteemed President, who herself takes time out at least twice a year to go to Croke Park amid arranging visits to Ireland by Elizabeth Windsor.
So not unlike a lot of 'fans' from the counties themselves who manage to secure a ticket for the final.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 26, 2010, 11:01:56 AM

I have yesterdays IN here. A few select quotes from Jackie:

"It was a great day. The stadium is 5 star and the event was 5 star. We really appreciate the hospitality that was shown to us...it made me think about Windsor Park and the need for a new stadium there. We need something we can be proud of"

"There was a time when I thought the game was sectarian (but some tasty grants from Aras soon changed that) but the GAA changing the ruling on security forces changed that." I may have added a bit to that...

"...if our kids are to grow up together...we need to appreciate each others culture".

"It might even come as a bit of a culture shock to say to young loyalists to play GAA but it is a very physical and challenging game".

"

Beir Bua

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 26, 2010, 11:17:00 AM

"It was a great day. The stadium is 5 star and the event was 5 star. We really appreciate the hospitality that was shown to us...it made me think about Windsor Park and the need for a new stadium there. We need something we can be proud of"

"There was a time when I thought the game was sectarian (but some tasty grants from Aras soon changed that) but the GAA changing the ruling on security forces changed that." I may have added a bit to that...

"...if our kids are to grow up together...we need to appreciate each others culture".

"It might even come as a bit of a culture shock to say to young loyalists to play GAA but it is a very physical and challenging game".

"

As an association I think we are confident enough to let anyone who wishes to engage with us regardless of their political view or religious background do so. The GAA plays a key role in Irish Society, there are 1 million Unionists on this island and if the Association can play a part in outreaching to them and as a result build strong community relations then this is something to be commended. There is a whole generation of loyalist children who are being forgotten about, loyalist working class areas have the highest rates of illiteracy, teenage pregnancy, drug and alcohol abuse....as Irish men and women we have a duty to do something and assist that section of our community, finally the President or her office does not give out grants, she has non-executive role and in my view has done an outstanding job building bridges during her term of office.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Beir Bua on September 26, 2010, 12:57:24 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 26, 2010, 11:17:00 AM

"

As an association I think we are confident enough to let anyone who wishes to engage with us regardless of their political view or religious background do so. The GAA plays a key role in Irish Society, there are 1 million Unionists on this island and if the Association can play a part in outreaching to them and as a result build strong community relations then this is something to be commended. There is a whole generation of loyalist children who are being forgotten about, loyalist working class areas have the highest rates of illiteracy, teenage pregnancy, drug and alcohol abuse....as Irish men and women we have a duty to do something and assist that section of our community, finally the President or her office does not give out grants, she has non-executive role and in my view has done an outstanding job building bridges during her term of office.
Are you John Hume? You missed "an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind".

gallsman

Elliot on the Politics Show tonight:

"I have never attended a GAA match and I have no intention of ever attending a GAA match."

Also, there's a difference between reaching out to unionists and having the President invite a bunch of murdering bastards to a match in Croker. The Jackie McDonald invitation, regardless of how wonderful he found the whole thing, is a complete and utter disgrace.

Maguire01

Quote from: gallsman on September 26, 2010, 10:44:40 PM

"I have never attended a GAA match and I have no intention of ever attending a GAA match."

Also, there's a difference between reaching out to unionists and having the President invite a bunch of murdering b**tards to a match in Croker. The Jackie McDonald invitation, regardless of how wonderful he found the whole thing, is a complete and utter disgrace.
I don't think we needed to bring the loyalists in to achieve this to be fair.

gallsman

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 26, 2010, 11:05:54 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 26, 2010, 10:44:40 PM

Also, there's a difference between reaching out to unionists and having the President invite a bunch of murdering b**tards to a match in Croker. The Jackie McDonald invitation, regardless of how wonderful he found the whole thing, is a complete and utter disgrace.
I don't think we needed to bring the loyalists in to achieve this to be fair.

True.