Has anybody else had enough of Katie Taylor???

Started by Capt Pat, September 20, 2010, 11:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

I guarantee anyone here downgrading Katie's achievements has never see her box. If you did, you would know that she is a top class athlete, technician and mentally strong sportswomen. I have only seen her fight live once, on the undercard of the Bernard Dunne v Cordoba fight. She came in front of a massive crowd, cool as a breeze, totally out boxed her opponent in every way, and was back to being cool as a breeze afterwards. Its not like she was fighting some handbag of an opponent, it was the Pan American Champion.
She is a class act.
Pack of luders

cornerback

Quote from: The Claw on September 21, 2010, 04:51:39 PM
I guarantee anyone here downgrading Katie's achievements has never see her box. If you did, you would know that she is a top class athlete, technician and mentally strong sportswomen. I have only seen her fight live once, on the undercard of the Bernard Dunne v Cordoba fight. She came in front of a massive crowd, cool as a breeze, totally out boxed her opponent in every way, and was back to being cool as a breeze afterwards. Its not like she was fighting some handbag of an opponent, it was the Pan American Champion.
She is a class act.
Pack of luders

:o  :D  :D  :D  ;D

ross4life

Speaking of the "Box" why wasn't this shown live on RTE?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on September 21, 2010, 05:23:47 PM

I don't know. You're one of the ones complaining about the hype and coverage she gets.

Or are you going back on yourself again?

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on September 21, 2010, 05:26:35 PM

I don't know. You're one of the ones complaining about the hype and coverage she gets.

:D :D :D :D :D
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: gallsman on September 21, 2010, 05:26:35 PM

Just wondering what RTE had on instead?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Capt Pat

It wasn't on tv as it is a very low profile sports event and wasn't being shown live in a lot of places if any. So there was no reliable live feed to put on a live tv show.

gallsman

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 21, 2010, 05:32:31 PM
It wasn't on tv as it is a very low profile sports event and wasn't being shown live in a lot of places if any. So there was no reliable live feed to put on a live tv show.

Right, so it had no TV coverage, comparatively little column inches in the newspaper and you might here of her once or twice again before the Olympics in two years time.

Yet you start a thread complaining about all the coverage and hype she gets? I must admit, I'm a little puzzled.

Then again, if you don't know what you're on about, I could hardly be expected to now, could I?

The Claw

Quote from: cornerback on September 21, 2010, 05:20:37 PM
Quote from: The Claw on September 21, 2010, 04:51:39 PM
She is a class act.
Pack of luders

:o  :D  :D  :D  ;D
oops  :-[

lilpaulie85

three times in a row she has won the world championships, the last two of those been voted fighters fighter for the entire comp (all weight classes included). the girl deserves the media attention she gets. She is class act inside the ring and has tecnical abillities most male pros can only dream of possessing. look at the attention sonya o sullivan or dervla o rourke have enjoyed on what in dervlas case can only be described as mediocore success. Anyone would struggle to mention another sport in which any of our countrymen or women have dominated in such a manner.
Feck the begruddgers, good on ya katie flying the flag with pride.
Chase the dream not the competition.

ross4life

IMO Dervla O Rourke would be on par with katie but Sonya O Sullivan an Olympic Games silver medal winner takes her place as one of Ireland's  best Sportsperson ever! hopefully Katie follows in the footsteps of other Irish boxing greats Michael Carruth,Wayne McCullough,Paddy Barnes,Kenny Egan,Darren Sutherland (RIP) & others

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: ross4life on September 21, 2010, 12:27:58 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 21, 2010, 12:00:50 AM
"Flavour of the month". I wish, she has been knocking around for years now winning these tournaments.

First time she won a world title though & once the olympics come around she will get even more attention

gerrykeegan

Never realised she has such strong Christian faith, it might be the reason she is not as popular as she should be. A bit like that Jonathan Edwards lad from England
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Bogball XV

seemed quite pleasant in that wee bit i saw of her on the late late. 
I think the main gripe about her achievements and how they're lauded are that in the opinion of those dissenter on here she participates in a minority sport, it's hard to tell how difficult it is to win something and we don't really know how good she has to be to win.
Maybe if she was in one of the more mainstream athletics events, we'd have more respect for her, still, good luck to her, hope she wins that olympic medal.

INDIANA

Well if anyone wanted to see how we're a nation of begrudgers. This thread is a good example. She's a 3 time world champion.Now if any of you can match that then maybe you can start slagging her off. Until then you look like a crowd of plonkers.