OVER-RATED or under-rated you decide?

Started by lawnseed 2, February 19, 2007, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Under-rated from my own county, think Eamon Maguire would be excellent surrounded by quality forwards, always involved, creating space, great link player and great workrate, but not a prolific scorer so doesn't get the credit
Owens would walk onto any county team, but I think the country knows that now.
A lot of Fermanagh people count Ryan McCluskey a better man marker, he always does a good job and is under-rated outside of Fermanagh

cavan4ever

In cavan overrated would be Nicholas Walsh - article in star a few weeks ago had him as cavans star player ..  Would prob b more rated outside of county that in it due to such media hype because of his stint in australia.   

Underrated would be gerard pierson hopefully the county will see how good this man is this year.  Was playing great stuff in 2005 until injuring his cruciate in challenge game against dublin and missed last year. only  getting back to fitness now and showing well in league games.

man in black

Over rated - Johnny Corvan Armagh (always flopped when it mattered)
The grimley twins Armagh, decent hands but no vision or feet
Paddy Bradley Derry - (head too big and no team ethic)

Underrated - Philip Jordan, Sean Cavanagh, Tyrone, Paul Galvin Kerry (great engines, tough honest footballers that always deliver.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

mouview

Continuing the theme,

Over-rated in Galway, sad to say;
Joe Bergin - good engine,  honest player but very basic skills, kicking particularly poor
Nicky Joyce - when he's not on county panel it's "Bring back Nicky", when he's playing it's "Take him off to f*ck!"
Tony Og Regan - but do any supporters in Galway actually rate him that highly?

Under-rated
Perhaps Fergal Healy - suffers a bit in the physicality stakes but very skilful

full back

Quote from: man in black on February 20, 2007, 04:44:15 PM
Underrated - Philip Jordan, Sean Cavanagh, Tyrone, Paul Galvin Kerry (great engines, tough honest footballers that always deliver.

Honest, you must be f**king joking me. The diving Jordan does is shocking

gander

How is Jordan and Cavanagh under rated?  sure how many all stars have they got?  Jordans over rated if ya ask me, does far to much diving.

becks

In antrim most over rated player is Kevin niblock, he is pure manure shouldnt even get on for st galls.
most under rated would be michael mc cann
PG1 ultras, ride or die

Onlooker

Tipperary hurlers under-rated (outside Tipp) - Eamonn Corcoran & Paul Curran.   Over-rated - Brendan Cummins (for the last year or two) and Lar Corbett.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: man in black on February 20, 2007, 04:44:15 PM
Over rated - Johnny Corvan Armagh (always flopped when it mattered)

Probably meant for the Harps contingent, and normally I wouldn't bother but......

Johnny Corvan's performances in the 1982 Ulster Final, the All Ireland Semi-final in 1982, the 1983 and 1985 National League Finals, the 1983 Railway Cup Final and the 1991 Armagh County Final, would tend to suggest otherwise!   ;)

Forgot to add - when Charlie Nelligan appeared as the guest on Know Your Sport, he was asked about the great forwards he came up against in his illustrious career. The boul' Johnny was the first name mentioned!   ;D

To be fair though Man in Black, your opinion would count for as much as that of Charlie Nelligan in the minds of most GAA followers!  :D

I won't argue the  point of the Grimleys as it's just two diametrically opposed opinions on the one subject.

Over the Bar

QuoteJordans over rated if ya ask me

Of course he is.  That's why he has 2 all-stars.  I take it you arent on the all-star selection comittee then?  Thought not. 

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 20, 2007, 01:59:14 PM
Tyroneman,

I dunno how you can say Colin Holmes is overrated?  He's a ulility player and does a sound job when he comes on without being outstanding.  Thats a utility players job & to be a versatile back-up for a variety of positions, which I think he does as well as might be expected.  

100% correct!

blanketattack

Underrated: N Murphy, K McMahon, T Griffin, O Moran, G Power, T Doyle, J Quane, J Doyle, M Fitzgerald, G Geraghty
Overrated: C Mortimer, J Bergin, SM Lockhart,
Overrated unless they've a good 07: C Cooper, S McDonnell, C Whelan, B Cullen,

full back

Quote from: blanketattack on February 21, 2007, 01:50:04 AM
Underrated: N Murphy, K McMahon, T Griffin, O Moran, G Power, T Doyle, J Quane, J Doyle, M Fitzgerald, G Geraghty
Overrated: C Mortimer, J Bergin, SM Lockhart,
Overrated unless they've a good 07: C Cooper, S McDonnell, C Whelan, B Cullen,

How can you say Cooper is overrated unless he has a good 07?
Ach, I suppose you are right, he has done nothing so far in his career ::) ::)

imtommygunn

Hurling:
Overrated:
Ger Farragher - scoring machine from dead balls. Not too sure about his contribution from general play.
Eugene Cloonan - again scoring machine but have yet to see him roast a really good full back.
O'Halpin - pure athlete and a clearance machine but doesn't have the stickwork. Henry or DJ in his day would have given him some torrid times.

Underrated:
Kevin Broderick: give hima  few games under his belt and he'd be deadly. Skillful, tricky the whole works.
JJ Delaney: rated as very good but don't think he gets the credit he deserves. The AI final which Cork beat Kilkenny in the other year Ben O'Connor had been scoring for fun up till it. That day he barely even touched the ball and when he did couldn't get hitting it.

Football:
Overrated:
Stevie from Killeavy: very good but hasn't the feet on him of a top class forward. Not in the league of Gooch and a bit behind O'Neill too I'd say. Still love him on my team but a bit over hyped.
Tom O'Sullivan - this boy has all stars. I think he's very average.
As per everyone else - Whelan.
Brendan Devenney - suspect temperament.
Conor Mortimer - when the going get tough the tough get going. Enough said.

Underrated:
Brian Dooher - has allstars etc. but without this man I don't think Tyrone would have any All Irelands now never mind two. I do think without Canavan they'd now have an All Ireland by the way.
From the past Brian McGilligan from Derry.
Damien Diver - great attacking half back. Was used as sub for Donegal for the last few years - don't understand why.
Shane Ryan - he was moved against Mayo amn't I right? Had he no been moved it'd have been a Dublin Kerry AI final.
Peadar Gardiner - very good half back.

nrico2006

QuoteOverrated: C Mortimer, J Bergin, SM Lockhart,
Overrated unless they've a good 07: C Cooper, S McDonnell, C Whelan, B Cullen

SM Lockhart is always chatted in such high regards.  He may be a good man marker but his footballing ability is pretty average at best.  For over-rated unless good in 07, not so sure about Cooper, had a bad 2006(ppl can throw up stats to counter this claim,but his contribution from play was limited) but has been great since 2002.  Same with McDonnell, over-rated my hole.  The man is class.  Definitely agree with the 2 Dublin players, Cullen to the Dublin media is like Rooney/Gascoigne to the english.  Far too much hype and based on what?  As for Whelan, catches come good ball, but more frequently catches men with his elbow.  Looks far too heavy as well.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'