OVER-RATED or under-rated you decide?

Started by lawnseed 2, February 19, 2007, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Syd, they actually broke even, (I know, they were in front of me in the first half. And Big Dan is no world beater himself anyway). Sean Og gave away a point that day with a loose sideline cut. Daragh Coen destroyed him at U-21 level when O'Hailpin was full-back for Cork. Jamsie O'Connor could always get the better of him when Clare were in the ascendancy. He had a poor season last year if you look back on it, not even nominated for an All-Star. My point remains, for all the ballyhoo about him, he remains an excellent athlete but an extremely moderate hurler.

Six Inch Nail

I agree with you RRHF, Ciaran Whelan is the most over rated player in the country.  Hound, the media seem to pay alot of attention to him.

I also agree with you regarding Shane Ryan, Dublin lost that semi-final last year when he was moved from midfield and then taken off.  Great player.

In my own county:
Over rated - Malachy Mackin, the fact that he continues to get a starting jersey baffles me.

Under rated - Martin O'Rourke - does some donkey work.

Sean Og is definitely not over rated, he is deadly.  Although he was an average footballer!
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

Handball Ace

QuoteNot true I'm afraid. A quality footballer no doubt but he's not a half back

I know he was a forward. I was in Croke Park in league quarter final in 98 against Down, that was hie Monaghan debut I think and he kicked the first three points - I know how good he is as a forward.

However, I think he really came into his own when Banty moved him to half back. Constantly bombing forward, guts, style, the whole package imho

Syd The Sailor

So we are now talking about how he played in Under 21 matches? Very topical, he may have had a below par year last year but that is only due to the high standards he has set, not quite as below par as the tribesmen but sure thats for another day....
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

rosnarun

most under rated dara o se because there isnt a footballer to touch him in the country
over rated ciaran donaghy a one trick pony with a bad temperment
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Hound IMHO CLuxton is very over-rated.

He has undoubtably the best kick-out in the game but after that I see little to shout about. He can be a good shot-stopper but he cost Dublin the goal against us last year which arguably ended Dublin's season. He is too quick off his line when an attacker still has a defender to beat.

He was also very lucky early in the game when Mortimer rounded him very easily but blasted over. This is probably painful viewing but look at 1 minute 9 seconds on this

To provide some balance I would add that Shane Ryan is a very underrated performer for the Dubs and moving him from midfield last year was a mistake particularly with Whelo having one of his dark days.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

over rated - Joe Broly
under rated - Geoffrey McGonigle

thewingedlady

Have to say i think Oisin mcConville is well underrated, or at least not appreciated. The last ten years he's been good for 4/5 pts at least a match but Armagh people always seem to be on his back.

Overrated? Probably Whelan. Too many let downs IMHO...

mouview

Syd, Syd, Syd, I don't know you from Adam, but I guess that you're a young person, quite easily influenced by what you read on the newspapers and by what you hear from M'O'M's commentaries on the radio. For all Sean Og's litany of greatness he didn't actually get an All-Star until 2003. If it weren't for the fact that he was a member of a very good Cork defensive unit, I seriously doubt if his 'standards' would be quite so high. Next time he's playing, watch him closely, and try not to be misled by the media instead, good lad.

As for the Tribesmen, under-rated - dunno, under-achievers - yes, definitely.

full back

Quote from: mouview on February 20, 2007, 12:27:33 PM
.  Next time he's playing, watch him closely, and try not to be misled by the media instead, good lad.

:D :D

drumanee

in derry under rated kevin mcguckian(class act) over rated mark lynch

tyroneman

Own County:

Underrated: Joe McMahon (big time - especially by MH it seems), Enda McGinley, Mulligan (recently), Mellon (thought at times he can be brutal - big confidence player), Carlin, Marlowe, McCullogh

Overrated: Penrose, Cormac McGinley, Collie Holmes, Mulgrew (too much hype too young, not his fault though - and hopefully will justify in another year or two)

Other Counties:

Underrated: Enda mcNulty, Barry Owens (in the other 3 provinces), Lacey, Galvin

Overrated: Stephen Kernan, Mortimer(s), Joe Kernan, Enda Muldoon, Skinner Bradley, MF Russell

lynchbhoy

Quote from: drumanee on February 20, 2007, 12:46:39 PM
in derry under rated kevin mcguckian(class act) over rated mark lynch
I wont comment on Mark but if anything I think McGuckian is actually over rated.
He's good but I have seen him being beaten too often for him to be considered THAT good (YET) !

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: mouview on February 20, 2007, 12:27:33 PM
Syd, Syd, Syd, I don't know you from Adam, but I guess that you're a young person, quite easily influenced by what you read on the newspapers and by what you hear from M'O'M's commentaries on the radio. For all Sean Og's litany of greatness he didn't actually get an All-Star until 2003. If it weren't for the fact that he was a member of a very good Cork defensive unit, I seriously doubt if his 'standards' would be quite so high. Next time he's playing, watch him closely, and try not to be misled by the media instead, good lad.

As for the Tribesmen, under-rated - dunno, under-achievers - yes, definitely.

You seem to be talking through your hole, i watched O'Hailpin play as a minor in Croke Park in 1994, i have played against him at U-21 County level and feel i can offer up a fairly decent opinion of him. What has he done to upset the Galway people so much? maybe if some of the Galway players actually achieved something they would get as high a profile.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

snappiered

Most underated player in Tyrone by a Long way is Mickey Mc Gee. Class act at corner back. Just take a look at the last ten minutes in 2005 All Ireland Final V Kerry. His may never be seen on the ball much but neither does his man. One of Tyrones key defenders who get very little if any mention.