Tom Humphries: GAA knobs put more then a fence between us

Started by Peter Solan the Great, September 20, 2010, 10:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laceer

I noticed that about o se myself.different mind set? Maybe it's because his accent is close to my own but i also cringed when cavanagh spoke in that ad

AZOffaly

I don't think that's about birthright, I think it's a mark of identification. The way other people might say 'I am a teacher', or 'I'm an Offaly man', once you play for Kerry, you are, de facto, 'A Kerry Footballer'.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardmhachaabu

Have been on the sod of Croker a few times in pitch invasions.  That was then, this is now.  The GAA have a duty of care to everyone who visits Croker.  Sin é
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on September 22, 2010, 07:55:11 PM
Reading an auto-cue I'd imagine.

They must have different auto-cues in Kerry than in Tyrone and Kilkenny.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Yerra the auto-cues in Kerry would be fierce cute altogether.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Blue Island

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 22, 2010, 06:21:16 PM
Quote from: Blue Island on September 22, 2010, 02:43:58 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on September 22, 2010, 03:03:42 AM
Lads there is a serious and valid case to be made re. the weakening of the democratic structures, and the assumption by the President of executive powers  far beyond his remit. We will only weaken our own arguments by focusing them on the pitch invasion ban, where our arguments can be reasonably countered. Yes celebratory invasions were a long treasured tradition, but in reality there day is gone. Croke Park has a duty of care, and therefore must minimise risk. A case can be made for allowing fans onto the pitch in an orderly manner following the presentation, having given players time to catch their breath, and commisserate with opponents. Lets concentrate on returning real power too the grass roots and not waste our energies squabbling over a fence

I agree with the main thrust of your argument that the fence in reality is about disenfranchisement of the ground roots level. It just seems to me the hierarchy do these things without taking any heed of popular opinion. Worse, I am convinced they do not think they are under any duty to either take soundings from GAA members, or at least try and argue their case in a persuasive manner.

I missed the pitch invasion on Sunday and think it is a loss, but if the majority of intercounty players want the fence and those who control Croke Park can actually show figures demonstrating this is costing us money then I would accept the change. I am open to persuasion, but the hierarchy would prefer to patronise us with ludicrous promos showing disasters caused by fences. It is a case of this is what we have decreed and you will abide by it.

The fence issue is a symptom of a more important issue. Croke Park seems disengaged from the broader GAA populace. I have no doubt if some club made a motion to get rid of the fence some apparatchik would have the motion removed quick smart because one word in the motion was incorrectly spelled. God forbid anyone could have a vote on it.

I don't believe that at all
I don't believe it either. The point is I don't think they even canvassed the view of the players.

INDIANA

Quote from: Blue Island on September 22, 2010, 10:41:31 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on September 22, 2010, 06:21:16 PM
Quote from: Blue Island on September 22, 2010, 02:43:58 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on September 22, 2010, 03:03:42 AM
Lads there is a serious and valid case to be made re. the weakening of the democratic structures, and the assumption by the President of executive powers  far beyond his remit. We will only weaken our own arguments by focusing them on the pitch invasion ban, where our arguments can be reasonably countered. Yes celebratory invasions were a long treasured tradition, but in reality there day is gone. Croke Park has a duty of care, and therefore must minimise risk. A case can be made for allowing fans onto the pitch in an orderly manner following the presentation, having given players time to catch their breath, and commisserate with opponents. Lets concentrate on returning real power too the grass roots and not waste our energies squabbling over a fence

I agree with the main thrust of your argument that the fence in reality is about disenfranchisement of the ground roots level. It just seems to me the hierarchy do these things without taking any heed of popular opinion. Worse, I am convinced they do not think they are under any duty to either take soundings from GAA members, or at least try and argue their case in a persuasive manner.

I missed the pitch invasion on Sunday and think it is a loss, but if the majority of intercounty players want the fence and those who control Croke Park can actually show figures demonstrating this is costing us money then I would accept the change. I am open to persuasion, but the hierarchy would prefer to patronise us with ludicrous promos showing disasters caused by fences. It is a case of this is what we have decreed and you will abide by it.

The fence issue is a symptom of a more important issue. Croke Park seems disengaged from the broader GAA populace. I have no doubt if some club made a motion to get rid of the fence some apparatchik would have the motion removed quick smart because one word in the motion was incorrectly spelled. God forbid anyone could have a vote on it.

I don't believe that at all
I don't believe it either. The point is I don't think they even canvassed the view of the players.

I can guarantee he has no source for that piece of information. The fence is a disgrace.

BarryBreensBandage

Apart from missing the pitch invasion on Sunday (well I wasn't going to have one anyway as Down lost), I also missed not hearing the opening drum rhythm that the Artane band historically belt out as they make their way onto the pitch during the matches.

Its something I associate with Croke Park as its the only place I've ever heard it, but I couldn't hear it because they were playing Beautiful Feckin Day.

I just hope the next time U2 play Croker that they show a re-run of the All Ireland just as Bono starts his 10 minute save the earth speech.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

bcarrier

Anyone know what the Croke Park set list is ...the two that stick out in my head ( and grate) are...

Beautiful day - U2
Ive got a feeling - Blackeyed Peas

What are the alternatives ( or should there be any) ?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: blanketattack on September 22, 2010, 03:53:00 PM
So far I've heard Cummins, Quirke, Canty, Marc Ó Sé and Sean Cavanagh voice opinions against supporters coming onto the pitch.

I think the question you should be asking is; are they all GPA members?

Quote from: blanketattack on September 22, 2010, 03:53:00 PM
Have any current players voiced an opinion for supporters allowed on the pitch?

Benny Coulter for one.
i usse an speelchekor

DuffleKing

Michael Shields criticised it after the final.

They are very very careful who they ask that particular question

deiseach

Jinxy

How do we think the motion to have the barrier removed will get on at congress?
I'd say the scare-mongering will be off the charts.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lawnseed

got a new motorised leather recliner from santa, jez lads shes comfortable and the big new telly.. ohhh lord!. dear diesel, dear tickets, fences, and cheeky bastards ordering you about like you were shite! they can shove it.. >:(
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once