Sunday Game Football Team of the Year

Started by drici, September 19, 2010, 11:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 20, 2010, 12:12:39 AM
I take it you are joking?

Wasn't joking. Don't know why I had that in my head,must have been a dream or something. ???

Dinny Breen

Tony Davis obviously whinged and whinged until he got his way, Quirke and Kelly should not be there..

Paddy Keenan and Bernard Brogan fairly stuck it to the panel for the omission of JD, Kildare played 8 games this year and JD didn't go missing once, top scorer in the championship despite a poor year with the placed ball by his standards. For those who keep pointing to the Monaghan game, guess which player won the most breaking ball in that game.....
#newbridgeornowhere

Long Ball

How Brendan McVeigh and Benny Coulter didn't make that team is a mystery- I hope the journalists picking the All-Stars don't omit them.
Drive yer boot in her!!

nrico2006

Johnny Doyle, Philip Jordan and McVeigh should all be in that team.  I find it strange that anyone would have Shields ahead of Justin McMahon either, McMahon is the best full-back in the country by a mile.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bcarrier

McVeigh and Doyle should be on the team ...with Cork maybe getting one more in midfield to balance it up. 

saffron sam2

You worry about the boys RTE employ to pick these teams.

I thought McVeigh and Coulter were shoe-ins and that both Jordan and Doyle had very strong cases.

No real problems with the three Dubs.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ross matt

Doyle should have been one of the first names chalked down in the forwardline after Brogan. Hopefully now Bernard will get the player of the year award he richly deserves. Clarke was an important player for Down this year but I thought the media over hyped them like they did Kennelly last year when they claimed had Marty a good final he would nip Brogan for the award.

imtommygunn

Johnny Doyle, I thought, had one of his lesser years though I hope he gets an all star. In a typical year he is deadly accurate - this year however he was not. He deserves one for service alone.

McVeigh won all his one on ones yesterday and almost for that alone deserves to be there.

I don't think there's any way Clarke should be player of year. Bernard Brogan was unmarkable this year. Clarke proved yesterday that he can be marked.

Gooch was deadly against Down - he just had no support. It seems to long ago to remember though...

I would agree about Galvin. I think he is the best midfielder in the country and no-one should be in front of him.

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on September 19, 2010, 11:56:47 PM
Seriously Indiana, me wondering how Dublin got 3, gave way to your appalling diatribe about Down football. Which you then decided to embellish with some nonsense about other countys' opinions. While I'm sure you can't and won't understand the irony in your comments, I can assure you it is a black mark against you.

Simply stating my opinion. If in doubt your only form is slagging Dublin. You've a good track record in it. So no I won't be apologising. Far more contencious picks then any of dublin's.

Goulding
Kissane
Quirke

nrico2006

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 20, 2010, 11:10:13 PM
Quirke cannot be justified and neither can the omission of Johnny Doyle.

Cluxton was the most complete goalkeeper in 2010.  His composure in directing his defence and his contribution to scoring cannot be underestimated. He has matured into a vital component of Dublin football.

I have to agree, he brings a real composure to his defence, and to be honest he can't really be blamed for the Meath debacle.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Louth Exile

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 20, 2010, 08:52:02 PM
Bernard Brogan was unmarkable this year.

Honourable mention here for John O Brien. Brogan's one point from play against him came in something like the 68th minute  :) On a day when the Dubs ran riot O'Brien managed to keep their main man under wraps.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Main Street

Cluxton is the outstanding goalkeeper in the country and showed more than enough in the championship that he is still at the top of his game.

smokeyjoe

Anyone think damien rafferty has a look in at an all star?

EagleLord

Cant get the head round it at all. Brendy McVeigh should be gettiing an allstar. OK he conceded 6 goals in the championship as apposed to Quirkes 3, but the saves he made were class, Especially on the big day, vs Kerry, Kildare and on Sunday. Benny should get an allstar. There wont be a word about him, but Mark Poland scored in every round of the championship too. Great personal acheivement for him.

DoireGael

I am lost to why anyone would think Mc Veigh shouldnt be the keeper selection  ???